View Poll Results: Should there be a death penalty?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    65 47.10%
  • No

    53 38.41%
  • Under certain circumstances, please explain

    20 14.49%
Page 34 of 82 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 819

Thread: Death Penalty

  1. #331
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by SypherAL View Post
    I'm a firm believer that execution is the easy way out.
    I like easy... I'm PRO easy. Too many things in this world are overly complicated.

    Death Penalty-image005555-jpg
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #332
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    Our disagreement with abortion is not whether or not it is wrong, but about when life begins. If I do not believe something is alive and sentient, it cannot be killed.
    Then you retract your statement "Killing is wrong." and it should read "Killing sentient beings is wrong." Right?

    I support a woman's right to choose. I do not like the idea of abortion, I wish there were no abortions, but it is not my decision to make. Killing is bad, killing is wrong, but you can only kill something if it is alive. No one has been able to sufficiently explain to me when life begins so I don't know which is why I stay out of that thread, because I do not know. If you can talk me into that thread we'll discuss. This is a DP thread.
    That's the same thing as saying I don't like executions, but I support the State's right to choose. Whether or not you think a fetus is a person or not has no bearing on the fact that it is a living human organism....one that's ok to kill, in your opinion.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #333
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Then you retract your statement "Killing is wrong." and it should read "Killing sentient beings is wrong." Right?....
    how about "killing innocent people is wrong". Or "killing innocent human beings is wrong".

    happy now?

  4. #334
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    how about "killing innocent people is wrong". Or "killing innocent human beings is wrong".

    happy now?
    Does taxi have her hand up your ass?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #335
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Does taxi have her hand up your ass?
    I'm sorry, have I offended you somehow?

  6. #336
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Then you retract your statement "Killing is wrong." and it should read "Killing sentient beings is wrong." Right?



    That's the same thing as saying I don't like executions, but I support the State's right to choose. Whether or not you think a fetus is a person or not has no bearing on the fact that it is a living human organism....one that's ok to kill, in your opinion.
    there is no "fact" that it is living. Our definition of living may be different or our belief of what constitutes life may be different.

    This is a DP thread, if you want to talk about abortion go to the abortion thread, if you want to talk about when life begins you first need to convince me that I need to engage in that argument. When you have formulated your argument PM me.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didn’t have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, I’m allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and I’ve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I don’t, before you know it, you won’t let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    “Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.”
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  7. #337
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    ...This is a DP thread, if you want to talk about abortion go to the abortion thread, if you want to talk about when life begins you first need to convince me that I need to engage in that argument. When you have formulated your argument PM me.
    indeed, we have MORE than enough abortion threads.

  8. #338
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    To remind you, the discussion was around how Jesus was not a pacifist. I cited Matthew, and identified that a backslap was significant but did not mean that Christians would let someone beat the hell out of them. The point was to slap someone on the right cheek, the slap would have to have been a backhand slap, which was how masters corrected slaves. It was an exertion of class and superiority. Too many misinterpret the passage as one being a pacifist. It's not true - the teaching says to not fight violence and evil with violence and evil. It doesn't mean Christians should be punching bags... Here's an adequate explanation and how it was explained to me multiple times. The interpretation is I think fairly universal... Matthew 5:38-48 - Holy Textures


    Here's the link to remind you what I said then.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/aborti...post1060108818


    Now... what exactly does this have to do with the U.S. legal system?
    I believe the bold damn near defines pacifism, within a degree or two. You're contradicting yourself.

  9. #339
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I'm sorry, have I offended you somehow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    indeed, we have MORE than enough abortion threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    this thread is about killing people.

    you posted in the wrong thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    its not hypocrisy, as this thread is about killing people.

    ......and you're aware of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    if you don't like my posts, there is a way to deal with that.
    Excellent thoughts from an excellent DP member. You're so awesome Thunder. In the last two pages of this thread we've found out that this thread is about killing people and not abortion. Mind you, thats on pages 33 and 34. I'm pretty sure that was established on say, page 2. So now, lets move on to what the thread was attempting to evolve into, a logical discussion about the pros/cons of the death penalty. Well, we can move on as long as other posters don't devolve the thread to what it was on pages 1 and 2. Alright, just to make it clear. Yes Thunder, this thread is about killing people. No, its not about abortion, although that does have relation to the argument if you are pro life yet also pro death penalty. Still with me? Okay, continuing. Yes, your posts offend almost everyone that reads them and has an IQ over 1. We good Thunder? Alright, off you go!
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  10. #340
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    ...Yes, your posts offend almost everyone that reads them and has an IQ over 1. We good Thunder? Alright, off you go!
    ok, so you're clearly offended by my posts.

    you under the impression that I give a ****.

    well that's too bad. cause honestly, I don't.
    Last edited by Thunder; 03-10-12 at 11:02 PM.

Page 34 of 82 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •