View Poll Results: Should there be a death penalty?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    65 47.10%
  • No

    53 38.41%
  • Under certain circumstances, please explain

    20 14.49%
Page 23 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 819

Thread: Death Penalty

  1. #221
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    I wonder how many of the pretend pro lifers are for the death penalty? LOL and they call themselves pro life. hehehe Anyway no there should not be a death penalty.
    The difference lies in the distinction between innocent life, as opposed to those who have taken innocent lives.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #222
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    The difference lies in the distinction between innocent life, as opposed to those who have taken innocent lives.
    Oh so there is a difference between one life and another and you want to play god and say which you think has the right to life. How benevolent of you. So what do you say about the military that have killed so many innocents?
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  3. #223
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Who said they have no meaning?
    My point was that even though I am not christian I can garner meaning from religious words, which hold true or express what my feelings are on a subject. On this subject I think turning the other cheek is more humane and imposing the death penalty is just as or even more animalistic than what the criminals have done.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  4. #224
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    Oh so there is a difference between one life and another and you want to play god and say which you think has the right to life. How benevolent of you. So what do you say about the military that have killed so many innocents?
    There is a difference between someone who has not murdered and one who has. As for military, that's state-sanctioned, and I'm pacifist unless someone brings violence to me personally.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #225
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    My point was that even though I am not christian I can garner meaning from religious words, which hold true or express what my feelings are on a subject. On this subject I think turning the other cheek is more humane and imposing the death penalty is just as or even more animalistic than what the criminals have done.
    I didn't say anyone did. Because I am atheist many people believe that should not quote any religious, so I cut that criticism off at the pass by acknowledging that those words can have meaning for "unbelievers" as well.

    As for the taking of lives-- It does not matter whose life you took. A good guy / a bad guy etc... that is not a decision for us to make -- who was more innocent? who can contribute more? who had cause? ask enough of those questions and it becomes eugenics. Killing is wrong, state sanctioned killing is possibly worse because the state claims to act on behalf of its citizens -- including me-- and I want no part of it.

    Now to cut this off at the pass: Yes, I am pro-choice. I do not want people to have abortions but that is up to them. Their body their choice. Don't argue with me about when life begins because that is not for us to judge either, it is a philosophical not scientific question (Not science because it cannot be proven when a soul "awakens" and it will never be solved unless someone has some sort of connection to whoever hands out souls, or whatever you want to believe.

    Yes, I believe in assisted suicide. If someone has to live in pain and their quality of life is so low that they have lost will to live then yes, someone please help them end the suffering. We do it for our pets.

    Some may say these views are contradictory, but I have justification for all of them. Find me in an appropriate forum and i'll explain. But for this topic, killing another human being who does not wish to die is wrong no caveat here for abortions yet, but that is because I can't figure out when "life" begins.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  6. #226
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    There is a difference between someone who has not murdered and one who has. As for military, that's state-sanctioned, and I'm pacifist unless someone brings violence to me personally.
    So now there is another difference. LOL You certainly have a lot of different rules you go by to still be able to remain pro life. Seems you support a lot of killing to be called pro life. I'm pro choice and against military killing and the death penalty so I am against two of the three and you support two of the three so that makes me more pro life than you. If you do the math.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  7. #227
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    Some may say these views are contradictory, but I have justification for all of them. Find me in an appropriate forum and i'll explain. But for this topic, killing another human being who does not wish to die is wrong no caveat here for abortions yet, but that is because I can't figure out when "life" begins.
    Well, I'd say that we have that in common. I have justification for them as well. That's one of the problems with being a thinking human. We can all come up with justifications, based on our beliefs of how things should be, and what we view as right and wrong. I believe that one who murders another forfeits his humanity in commiting that act. I am pro-choice, not because I believe a fetus is not a human (because I believe it is), but because of personal property rights of the woman who must make her own choice.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #228
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    So now there is another difference. LOL You certainly have a lot of different rules you go by to still be able to remain pro life. Seems you support a lot of killing to be called pro life. I'm pro choice and against military killing and the death penalty so I am against two of the three and you support two of the three so that makes me more pro life than you. If you do the math.
    You seem to be under the impression that I am not pro-choice.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #229
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl
    As for the taking of lives-- It does not matter whose life you took. A good guy / a bad guy etc... that is not a decision for us to make
    The hell it isn't. Tell you what - break into my place at night sometime and try to lift my stereo. We'll see if it's my decision to make.

    who was more innocent? who can contribute more? who had cause? ask enough of those questions and it becomes eugenics.
    No it's not. It's mathematics. It is completely logical to rationalize and impose some sort of static figure to a human being's value. A doctor has more purpose and a greater net benefit to society than a drug dealer. A lawyer (ugh) has more to give than a panhandler. I don't give a flipping DAMN what some men wrote down in the 18th century - if you think all men are equal, you're blind.

    But for this topic, killing another human being who does not wish to die is wrong
    Murderers deny innocents that basic right to life, so I sure won't slight the State for denying a murderer that same right. I also use that term "right" very loosely, as very few things I see today are "rights". If you kill another, your own life should be forfeit. I don't care about deterrence. If we took a stronger stance on capital punishment, made it cheaper, and made a demonstrable stance that if you kill another in cold blood that you are slated to die, it would send a strong stance to the populace. The only way we can "scare straight" our people is to make heinous crimes so unfathomable through punishment that they think twice. I'm talking three-hots-and-a-cot, manual labor, solitary, etc. We coddle prisoners today so much that many are not only without fear of incarceration, but embrace it. When prison comes with pain, humiliation, solitude, and potential death, then people can weigh the pros and cons about committing the worst of atrocities.

  10. #230
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post

    As for the taking of lives-- It does not matter whose life you took. A good guy / a bad guy etc... that is not a decision for us to make -- who was more innocent?

    .
    You may not like it or disagree, but indeed it is a decision for us to make and has been since our distant ancestors started forming communities. At one time it was merely the strongest who meted out justice as the saw fit, today society has developed codified laws to define crime and punishment. With time the laws have changed, but society has always decided what they would become. There is no higher earthly authority, and that includes your conscience.

Page 23 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •