View Poll Results: Should there be a death penalty?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    65 47.10%
  • No

    53 38.41%
  • Under certain circumstances, please explain

    20 14.49%
Page 12 of 82 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 819

Thread: Death Penalty

  1. #111
    Educator barbarian_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Existing between 2 entities of darkness
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    761

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp View Post
    Why don't you believe in capital punishment?
    Because when you go to war and engage in the enemy and kill with no trial it is justified killing afforded to you by your government, but to kill a guy that raped your little girl that had a trial it isn't justified.

    Pretty messed up wouldn't you say?

  2. #112
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Death Penalty

    Should we have the death penalty? No.

    Does it even register among the top 50 worst problems in our criminal justice system? No. The death penalty affects maybe a few hundred people a year. On the other hand, there are millions of Americans who are locked in cages for years on end, many for victimless crimes, who are subjected to state-sanctioned rape and sexual slavery on a daily basis. I consider *that* a far more egregious human rights abuse in our criminal justice system than the death penalty is. The whole death penalty debate is, at best, a distraction from the greater problem of our entire criminal justice system.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 03-04-12 at 01:19 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #113
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian_style View Post
    I believe in it as the same as you do as you engage in battle with the enemy.
    Two reasons you argument falls flat.
    1) Defense of the country is not a pre-meditated murder. It is defense, a totally different reason to kill than just killing someone because you think they did something bad enough to deserve it.
    2) Killing someone on the battlefield is in defense of yourself. Its kill or be killed. In capital punishment, the act has already been committed, the perpetrator has been aprehended, he is of no danger to anyone anymore, and can be locked away for the rest of his or her life without posing danger to anyone ever again.

    Again, you still can't state why you believe it is better to execute someone vice put them in a cell for life. You can't do it because there is no logical reason for it. You believe it just because you do. Whether its your upbringing, culture of your surroundings, political party, you just believe it for no reason. This isn't your personal faith. That's something you can believe just because you do and no one else can understand it. This is a logic driven decision. Not a belief.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  4. #114
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    11-11-12 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    158

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian_style View Post
    Because when you go to war and engage in the enemy and kill with no trial it is justified killing afforded to you by your government, but to kill a guy that raped your little girl that had a trial it isn't justified.

    Pretty messed up wouldn't you say?
    If someone were to rape my child I would want to kill that person, but at the same time that is not legal. If that person who raped my child also killed them the murderer should receive capital punishment.

  5. #115
    Educator barbarian_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Existing between 2 entities of darkness
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    761

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Two reasons you argument falls flat.
    1) Defense of the country is not a pre-meditated murder. It is defense, a totally different reason to kill than just killing someone because you think they did something bad enough to deserve it.
    2) Killing someone on the battlefield is in defense of yourself. Its kill or be killed. In capital punishment, the act has already been committed, the perpetrator has been aprehended, he is of no danger to anyone anymore, and can be locked away for the rest of his or her life without posing danger to anyone ever again.

    Again, you still can't state why you believe it is better to execute someone vice put them in a cell for life. You can't do it because there is no logical reason for it. You believe it just because you do. Whether its your upbringing, culture of your surroundings, political party, you just believe it for no reason. This isn't your personal faith. That's something you can believe just because you do and no one else can understand it. This is a logic driven decision. Not a belief.

    jaja, ain't that a government justified killing?

    refer to post 111, I already killed that angle...

  6. #116
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp View Post
    Why don't you believe in capital punishment?
    I don't believe in capital punishment because I don't believe us, as human beings, have a right to make a cold, calculated decision to end another human beings life strictly because we think they deserve it. As I said to another poster, a person standing trial is of no threat to anyone, anymore. He is apprehended. Therefore it ceases to be self-defense or for the good of society. It turns into vengeance at that point.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #117
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I don't believe in capital punishment because I don't believe us, as human beings, have a right to make a cold, calculated decision to end another human beings life strictly because we think they deserve it. As I said to another poster, a person standing trial is of no threat to anyone, anymore. He is apprehended. Therefore it ceases to be self-defense or for the good of society. It turns into vengeance at that point.
    True. This is the good ol' debate between what constitutes justice, and whether it overlaps with revenge, and which of the two is acceptable, if either.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #118
    Educator barbarian_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Existing between 2 entities of darkness
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    761

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp View Post
    If someone were to rape my child I would want to kill that person, but at the same time that is not legal. If that person who raped my child also killed them the murderer should receive capital punishment.
    Do yourself a favor and the next time you hear of a disappearance and search parties are needed, volunteer for it if you can, you will never loose that perspective, especially when you hear they found the victim dead.

    Murder_of_Dru_Sjodin

    I went out on searches when this happened, though far from were they actually found her. Today I can say that I helped in something that may not have been good in the end, but the family could move forward towards finding the truth brought out by a court of law with due process, good riddance.
    Last edited by barbarian_style; 03-04-12 at 01:31 AM.

  9. #119
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian_style View Post
    jaja, ain't that a government justified killing?

    refer to post 111, I already killed that angle...
    No, its me trying to save my own life. Would you rather I stand there and get shot in the face? Or, would you rather be speaking another language now because all the servicemen prior to me laid down their arms so to fit your ridiculous scenario? Once again, a poster who doesn't know why he believes what he believes so he attacks another's beliefs or character. You should run for office. You're very good at deflecting.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  10. #120
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    11-11-12 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    158

    Re: Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I don't believe in capital punishment because I don't believe us, as human beings, have a right to make a cold, calculated decision to end another human beings life strictly because we think they deserve it. As I said to another poster, a person standing trial is of no threat to anyone, anymore. He is apprehended. Therefore it ceases to be self-defense or for the good of society. It turns into vengeance at that point.
    I think we can agree to disagree and I appreciate that you answered my question. I have found that some on this forum will not answer questions but twist the questions and accuse others.

Page 12 of 82 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •