View Poll Results: What do you think gun control should be like?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let everyone have a gun

    26 26.53%
  • Quick background check to purchase and carry

    28 28.57%
  • Quick background check to purchase, but more difficult to carry

    12 12.24%
  • Background check, waiting period for purchase and carrying.

    19 19.39%
  • Background check, waiting period, no carrying

    5 5.10%
  • No guns at all

    8 8.16%
Page 70 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 1275

Thread: Guns

  1. #691
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Guns

    Turtle

    I thought you were dead set against the term "assault weapons"?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #692
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why don't you tell us your views on

    1) the propriety of carry permits

    2) "assault weapon bans"

    3) limitations on how many firearms a non-prohibited person can buy a month

    etc

    I will see if you can actually honestly address the gun issues people discuss


    and get back to you tonight
    The answer to none of those, even if they are what you expect, won't make me equal to your strawman. Sorry.

    1) I don't mind people carrying who are qualified and skilled. Nor do I oject to them being banned from schools or hospitals or court houses. These seem like reasonable restrictions to me.

    2) I have no objection to an assault weapons ban.

    3) haven't thought about this one much, but not sure what the reasoning would be for stock piling. Just seems odd to me more than anything I finger to object to.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #693
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp View Post
    It is more of a case of being prepared rather than being paranoid. What is wrong with being prepared?
    And I would be better off being prepared for an invasion of purple knee biting midgets.

    What about a gas attack? What about flood (I live on the second floor) What about my car exploding? What if?

    Yes, we should be able to have guns without restraint, yes we should be able to form militias if we want, but we should not be walking around in fear and being suspect of everyone. Assuming the worst will bring the worst. Next time you walk down the street say Hi to a stranger instead of assessing their potential threat level because of the bulge / no bulge in their holster area.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  4. #694
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    11-11-12 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    158

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I think the problem with that logic is to think this would prevent criminals. They would simply arm themselves better, escalation, and plan more, or shoot before you have a chance to react. When the numbers change, so does the approach.
    The great american gun debate 2 of 2 - YouTube watch 4:13-4:30

  5. #695
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    11-11-12 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    158

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    And I would be better off being prepared for an invasion of purple knee biting midgets.

    What about a gas attack? What about flood (I live on the second floor) What about my car exploding? What if?

    Yes, we should be able to have guns without restraint, yes we should be able to form militias if we want, but we should not be walking around in fear and being suspect of everyone. Assuming the worst will bring the worst. Next time you walk down the street say Hi to a stranger instead of assessing their potential threat level because of the bulge / no bulge in their holster area.
    I never walk down the street looking at people thinking "this person might attack me." Again it is being prepared for the unexpected. If no one is allowed to carry guns than only criminals will carry guns. Criminals would be aware of this and attacking another person is easier for them. They can target anyone. Your coming off more paranoid in the sense that you are worried about more law abiding citizens carrying guns.

  6. #696
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp View Post
    I see nothing here to change what I said. Stossel has a real history of skewing things. I've had a lot of fun with his reports in class.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #697
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    And I would be better off being prepared for an invasion of purple knee biting midgets.

    What about a gas attack? What about flood (I live on the second floor) What about my car exploding? What if?

    Yes, we should be able to have guns without restraint, yes we should be able to form militias if we want, but we should not be walking around in fear and being suspect of everyone. Assuming the worst will bring the worst. Next time you walk down the street say Hi to a stranger instead of assessing their potential threat level because of the bulge / no bulge in their holster area.
    I have had to pull my weapon before on what were otherwise perfectly normal days. Fortunately the holstered weapon in most cases was enough to end the situations. The common factor was that there was absolutely nothing else wrong with those days except; I had someone try to force himself into traffic and when he couldn't was going to attack me, I had one kid with a glare on his face and eyes glued to me showing he was thinking of doing something stupid, and then there was a night when a former friend of mine was working at a bar, she was being harassed by two idiots who thought that if they were obnoxious enough and waited for her to get off work they were gonna get some, I know they were going to do something stupid because the main idiot had his driver's side door open and was staring at her, when I put the holstered gun on the dashboard and lit up the dome lights they decided to finally act like human beings.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #698
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I have had to pull my weapon before on what were otherwise perfectly normal days. Fortunately the holstered weapon in most cases was enough to end the situations. The common factor was that there was absolutely nothing else wrong with those days except; I had someone try to force himself into traffic and when he couldn't was going to attack me, I had one kid with a glare on his face and eyes glued to me showing he was thinking of doing something stupid, and then there was a night when a former friend of mine was working at a bar, she was being harassed by two idiots who thought that if they were obnoxious enough and waited for her to get off work they were gonna get some, I know they were going to do something stupid because the main idiot had his driver's side door open and was staring at her, when I put the holstered gun on the dashboard and lit up the dome lights they decided to finally act like human beings.
    I have no doubt this is your perception. But perceptions can and often are incorrect.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #699
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    11-11-12 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    158

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I see nothing here to change what I said. Stossel has a real history of skewing things. I've had a lot of fun with his reports in class.
    If there is a store that has a history of allowing their workers to carry guns and across the street there is a store that doesn't allow their workers to carry guns which one will the criminal attempt to rob?

  10. #700
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp View Post
    If there is a store that has a history of allowing their workers to carry guns and across the street there is a store that doesn't allow their workers to carry guns which one will the criminal attempt to rob?
    Sure. But this means an uneven situation. But if both stores, all stores in the area have weapons. Crime doesn't go away. Instead, the crime automatically becomes more violent. Shot first.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •