View Poll Results: What do you think gun control should be like?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let everyone have a gun

    26 26.53%
  • Quick background check to purchase and carry

    28 28.57%
  • Quick background check to purchase, but more difficult to carry

    12 12.24%
  • Background check, waiting period for purchase and carrying.

    19 19.39%
  • Background check, waiting period, no carrying

    5 5.10%
  • No guns at all

    8 8.16%
Page 69 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 1275

Thread: Guns

  1. #681
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    11-11-12 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    158

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    You said that implies someone has a better chance against something. What is that something? How many people -- I guess what percentage-- are robbed/mugged etc... (a violent crime), not just in populated areas, but the US as a whole? Why do we need to be so worried all the time?
    It is more of a case of being prepared rather than being paranoid. What is wrong with being prepared?

  2. #682
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you aren't making a rational point. An armed victim is less likely to be hurt or slain than an unarmed one. If you are afraid to carry a gun don't-but don't start pretending you are wise enough to tell others what to do
    So you're telling me that if I'm afraid don't carry a gun, thanks wise expert. What is not rational? So I'm incorrect about the woman with the gun. Please explain.

  3. #683
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    So you're telling me that if I'm afraid don't carry a gun, thanks wise expert. What is not rational? So I'm incorrect about the woman with the gun. Please explain.
    this thread gets cluttered up with posts of those who try to play games with not addressing issues directly.

    what exactly is the point you are trying to make or that you want to make with oblique references?

  4. #684
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    when dealing with those antis whose main motivation is a snarky or sanctimonious attitude towards "benighted" gun owners, a777Pilot's framing the issue the way he did is perfect

    NOT!!!!!


    But fighting strawmen, or straw stereotypes is the best some can do, I suppose.


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #685
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    NOT!!!!!


    But fighting strawmen, or straw stereotypes is the best some can do, I suppose.


    your posts are exactly what I am speaking about.

  6. #686
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    11-11-12 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    158

    Re: Guns

    The truth is that if more people have guns then criminals don't know who has one and who doesn't. This will stop some criminals and some not. Criminals themselves have said that it is harder robbing someone that they don't know because there is a chance they will have a gun. It doesn't matter if there is a law saying there is no concealed carry because criminals don't follow the laws anyway.

  7. #687
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    your posts are exactly what I am speaking about.
    If so, your prove my point. You're clearly battling strawmen as to tackle the point would prove too hard.


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #688
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp View Post
    The truth is that if more people have guns then criminals don't know who has one and who doesn't. This will stop some criminals and some not. Criminals themselves have said that it is harder robbing someone that they don't know because there is a chance they will have a gun. It doesn't matter if there is a law saying there is no concealed carry because criminals don't follow the laws anyway.
    I think the problem with that logic is to think this would prevent criminals. They would simply arm themselves better, escalation, and plan more, or shoot before you have a chance to react. When the numbers change, so does the approach.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #689
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    If so, your prove my point. You're clearly battling strawmen as to tackle the point would prove too hard.



    why don't you tell us your views on

    1) the propriety of carry permits

    2) "assault weapon bans"

    3) limitations on how many firearms a non-prohibited person can buy a month

    etc

    I will see if you can actually honestly address the gun issues people discuss


    and get back to you tonight

  10. #690
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I think the problem with that logic is to think this would prevent criminals. They would simply arm themselves better, escalation, and plan more, or shoot before you have a chance to react. When the numbers change, so does the approach.
    well given that has not happened in shall issue states more than in restricted or non-issue states you are incorrect on this

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •