View Poll Results: What do you think gun control should be like?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let everyone have a gun

    26 26.53%
  • Quick background check to purchase and carry

    28 28.57%
  • Quick background check to purchase, but more difficult to carry

    12 12.24%
  • Background check, waiting period for purchase and carrying.

    19 19.39%
  • Background check, waiting period, no carrying

    5 5.10%
  • No guns at all

    8 8.16%
Page 62 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 1275

Thread: Guns

  1. #611
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp View Post
    Why do you say if you can't defend yourself without a weapon, you can't with one? I have never been present at a robbery. However, I am still young. Anyone in the safest of places could find themselves in the middle of a robbery or a violent attack.
    I've faced a gun or two in my time. Never owned one of my own. I've seen violence and crime. A weapon is but a tool. Having a hammer and nail doesn't make you a carpenter. Nor does having a gun make you safe. If you are smart and wise enough, you're safe with or without one.

    Also, years of working on an ambulance I never picked up anyone shot by a criminal, at least not someone trying to rob or murder someone. I never picked up anyone who shot a criminal. From 1979 to 1995, not once. But I picked up a lot of shootings. Family disputes. Accidents. Sheer stupidity. I admit it has helped form my views. I have no emotional attachment or revolsion of weapons. Only the beleif that it is a tool to be used by those who need the tool and know how to use it. Many give lip service to their knowledge, but the accidents nd stupidy are far from rare.

    And, yes, anything can happen anywhere. But you're not safe from that just because you're armed. There are few absolutes, but overwhelmingly, those who survive such sudden and surprising situations are either lucky or smart. Being armed or not is merely incidental.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #612
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Cannot match the firepower of the average infantry soldier or police officer? I can buy a .300 Win Mag rifle...plenty of ammo...a great scope...and I have more firepower than the average military or police rifle.

    I can buy the exact same weapons they use.

    I can buy the same ammo.

    We still live in a world where people die by 1 bullet. That is all that matters. What politicians don't understand is that ammo restriction simply means I gotta make the 1st one count.
    Think Rubby ridge. Or any number of individuals agaisnt the government. Out numbered and overrun.

    Many of you are leaping to all out war, which is even more unlikely. If that ahppened, again, being armed would be the least of our problems. I spoke about us fighting our government, which would mean our army is intact, and there would hardly be any serious numbers of support. Over rather quickly. Others leapt to us being invaded, and went silly with an old D movie that presented something so unrealistic as to be laughable. reminded me of all those old communist films they showed in churches in the 50's and 60's. But such an event would also be different, and having our own guns would only a little. Without some help, either from some things the military grapped before falling, or say Canada, we'd just live for countless decades in hell, or fall.

    No, in any of those cases, a wise person would have another plan.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #613
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    Sukarno had no support from anyone. The Dutch had vastly superior weapons. True, the Indonesians had captured Japanise weapons, but little ammo and no real framework for resupply.

    I agree that it has a very low chance of success, but with no means to resist there is zero chance.
    I try to never speak in absolute terms. There is folly in that. But largely, a better plan wouold be smarter.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #614
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    11-11-12 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    158

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I've faced a gun or two in my time. Never owned one of my own. I've seen violence and crime. A weapon is but a tool. Having a hammer and nail doesn't make you a carpenter. Nor does having a gun make you safe. If you are smart and wise enough, you're safe with or without one.

    Also, years of working on an ambulance I never picked up anyone shot by a criminal, at least not someone trying to rob or murder someone. I never picked up anyone who shot a criminal. From 1979 to 1995, not once. But I picked up a lot of shootings. Family disputes. Accidents. Sheer stupidity. I admit it has helped form my views. I have no emotional attachment or revolsion of weapons. Only the beleif that it is a tool to be used by those who need the tool and know how to use it. Many give lip service to their knowledge, but the accidents nd stupidy are far from rare.

    And, yes, anything can happen anywhere. But you're not safe from that just because you're armed. There are few absolutes, but overwhelmingly, those who survive such sudden and surprising situations are either lucky or smart. Being armed or not is merely incidental.
    Seeing how your views are formed I can respect that. If someone has a nail and hammer and knows how to use it can very well being a carpenter. That being said, I have grown up around guns my whole life. I hunt and shoot frequently. I understand and practice gun safety, and know how to use guns properly. If I am able to carry a gun with me it will only increase my chances of survival in a dangerous situation. Having a gun can also be used as a deterrent. I am not sure on what the law is on the concealed carry and this might be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. If you have the permit can the gun be visible as long as it is in a holster?

  5. #615
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp View Post
    Seeing how your views are formed I can respect that. If someone has a nail and hammer and knows how to use it can very well being a carpenter. That being said, I have grown up around guns my whole life. I hunt and shoot frequently. I understand and practice gun safety, and know how to use guns properly. If I am able to carry a gun with me it will only increase my chances of survival in a dangerous situation. Having a gun can also be used as a deterrent. I am not sure on what the law is on the concealed carry and this might be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. If you have the permit can the gun be visible as long as it is in a holster?
    And if that is true, I have no objection to you having a gun.

    As for the deterent, depends on where you are and the circumstances. There are places where it will provoke. But, that's getting a little too specifc. They are as rare as anyone actually needing one on a daily basis.

    I can only speak for Iowa on Open carry. Open carry in Iowa is not restricted by state law with the exception of carrying in a vehicle or inside city limits. Carry permit holders may open carry anywhere that it is otherwise legal to have a firearm. This practice is not universally accepted and could attract attention from law enforcement.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #616
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    11-11-12 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    158

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And if that is true, I have no objection to you having a gun.

    As for the deterent, depends on where you are and the circumstances. There are places where it will provoke. But, that's getting a little too specifc. They are as rare as anyone actually needing one on a daily basis.

    I can only speak for Iowa on Open carry. Open carry in Iowa is not restricted by state law with the exception of carrying in a vehicle or inside city limits. Carry permit holders may open carry anywhere that it is otherwise legal to have a firearm. This practice is not universally accepted and could attract attention from law enforcement.
    I live in Jersey where there is no real concealed carry permit. It is virtually impossible to obtain one unless you protect large sums of money.

  7. #617
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Well sure.... I mean they're just hippies, it's not like they were real people.....
    Oh.... you guys, you're too much.

    --your resident goddamn dirty hippie.
    Last edited by taxigirl; 03-06-12 at 01:39 AM.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  8. #618
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It's an unrealisitc one star movie. Why would any thinking person dig that out? Kind of like thinking the show 24 tells you all you need to know about torture. Silly.


    Because it's entertaining. I watch The Cosmos because it's also entertaining.

    Do you watch and read only non-fiction material?


    Ed:
    Speaking of old Communist movies, I like Dr. Strangelove, too!

    (BTW - "Communist" in the context you used it in should be capitalized. At least, I assume you were referring to the USSR style Communism and not a hippie commune.)
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 03-06-12 at 06:35 AM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #619
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Guns

    I am not a fan of Open Carry. While it can certainly be a deterrence, it can also escalate a situation and make the person a target.
    Scenerio is this:
    Bad guy walks up to rob the liquor store. Sees a patron with a pistol on his hip. He has two choices. Walk away and find an easier target or blast away.
    I feel it forces the hand of the criminal to go to the next step. I personally do not want to get shot in the back because I am seen as an obstacle.
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  10. #620
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    So, discussion is against the rules? You either tow the TD line or you have an agenda? Odd way of thinking you have.

    I asked you waht your agenda is on guns-every gun thread you jump on it and chide gun owners for being fearful rather than actually directly take on the issue

    What I see is someone who has a snarky disdain for gun owners based on an emotoresponse to the fact that most gun rights advocates are anti-left and that seems to motivate your ancillary attacks on them by claiming gun owners are fearful

    Its sort of a hyena style attack by someone who realizes acting the part of the lion will get him stomped with facts

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •