View Poll Results: What do you think gun control should be like?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let everyone have a gun

    26 26.53%
  • Quick background check to purchase and carry

    28 28.57%
  • Quick background check to purchase, but more difficult to carry

    12 12.24%
  • Background check, waiting period for purchase and carrying.

    19 19.39%
  • Background check, waiting period, no carrying

    5 5.10%
  • No guns at all

    8 8.16%
Page 53 of 128 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 1275

Thread: Guns

  1. #521
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Guns

    Here's reading material for anyone who wants to get a better than lacking basic understanding of the militia.
    Militia

    "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
    George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on
    Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788
    For those choosing Thunder's limited grasp of the militia this important figure from the time of the founding spells it out.

    From the site THUNDER!
    What distinguishes those engaged in militia from an army
    1.The authority for militia is any threat to public safety.
    2.Those active in militia are usually not bound for a fixed term of service, or paid for it.
    3.Those active in militia cannot expect arms, supplies, or officers to be provided to them.
    4.No one has the authority to order militia to surrender, disarm, or disband.
    Get it yet?
    Last edited by LaMidRighter; 03-04-12 at 11:10 PM.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #522
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    All of it was factually wrong on your part. The facts are you didn't bring any facts at all, just opinions passed on as facts. Secondly I readily defeated your "all reasonable people....blah, blah, blah" crap, just in this thread alone there was reasonable debate.
    You did nothing.

    You still do nothing.

    You have not refuted one thing I have stated as fact. Not one thing. if you think you have lets make this really really simple for you.

    Take one thing in my post that you believe is a misstatement of reality and using objective evidence other than your own opinion to prove me wrong. Lets see you do that.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #523
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    being honored with a memorial doesn't make one a hero. Heroes are people like Alvin York, Audie Murphy or former Cornell Lacrosse All American Eamon McEneaney, an EVP of Cantor Fitzgerald who rescued people during the first WTC bombing and died in the second
    Your argument is with the nation and the people who honored the dead with those memorials and monuments and label them as heroes. And I strongly suspect you are only doing that because you are in a corner and do not know how to get out of it. I seriously doubt if you can point to a single post where you questioned the hero worthy status of these people before this thread ever started. I stand ready to read it if you can present such evidence.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #524
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Truckstop View Post
    I must not understand the fallacy known as Argumentum ad populum.
    You clearly seem to not understand it as Turtle is attempting to use it.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #525
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You did nothing.

    You still do nothing.

    You have not refuted one thing I have stated as fact. Not one thing. if you think you have lets make this really really simple for you.

    Take one thing in my post that you believe is a misstatement of reality and using objective evidence other than your own opinion to prove me wrong. Lets see you do that.
    do you have anything to actually discuss on guns other than thinking the people murdered by nutcases paid the price for our rights

  6. #526
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    do you have anything to actually discuss on guns other than thinking the people murdered by nutcases paid the price for our rights
    I have been saying it all along. You simply have a belief set which prohibits from entertaining any position other than the quasi-religious position that the Second Amendment is a pure good - and you said that quite clearly.

    My position is that it is not a pure good. On balance, it does more good than harm. However, it still does harm. As a citizen who cares about my fellow Americans I would like a national discussion about this and what we as a people can do to rectify these areas of weakness.

    You on the other hand, are blind - by your own admission of the pure good belief - to even a single thing bad coming from the Second Amendment. Such a position finds itself incapable of any rational discussion because they dare not consider any reality but their own self imposed belief system. It becomes the equal of trying to argue religion with a zealot who sees their God as all good, all knowing and all pure and incapable of anything other than that.

    You put that label upon yourself Turtle in your own post 357.

    I have to be in radio studio across town at 7 am. So why don't you take the night to reconsider your "pure good " position and perhaps you will want to retract it in the morning.
    Last edited by haymarket; 03-04-12 at 11:22 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #527
    Professor
    Kane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    09-09-13 @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,661

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I think guns are like a lot things, like marijuana, alcohol etc, is that when you make laws to ban them, it only puts the control of them in the hands of criminals. I don't think people on probation, or violent felons should be allowed to purchase or own guns, but other than that just leave it alone.
    You are blinded from what is happening in this country. Cops killing unarmed people, beating their brains out, tasering for no reason, people going on shooting sprees, racial hatred on talk radio everywhere, perpetual fear and hatred mindset, war.

  8. #528
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I have been saying it all along. You simply have a belief set which prohibits from entertaining any position other than the quasi-religious position that the Second Amendment is a pure good - and you said that quite clearly.

    My position is that it is not a pure good. On balance, it does more good than harm. However, it still does harm. As a citizen who cares about my fellow Americans I would like a national discussion about this and what we as a people can do to rectify these areas of weakness.

    You on the other hand, are blind - by your own admission of the pure good belief - to even a single thing bad coming from the Second Amendment. Such a position finds itself incapable of any rational discussion because they dare not consider any reality but their own self imposed belief system. It becomes the equal of trying to argue religion with a zealot who sees their God as all good, all knowing and all pure and incapable of anything other than that.

    You put that label upon yourself Turtle in your own post 357.

    I have to be in radio studio across town at 7 am. So why don't you take the night to reconsider your "pure good " position and perhaps you will want to retract it in the morning.
    how does a right cause harm? there is no right to commit crime

  9. #529
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    ... For those choosing Thunder's limited grasp of the militia this important figure from the time of the founding spells it out.

    From the site THUNDER!
    Get it yet?
    sorry, but I follow what the Constitution & the Militia Act say.

    perhaps you should as well.

  10. #530
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    if the government becomes tyrannical and a widescale revolt takes place to oppose the tyranny would that militia
    be proper
    depends on how you define "tyrannical".

    some wackos think the USA became a tyranny in 1865.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •