View Poll Results: Which of these political leans would Jesus be?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Liberal

    58 47.15%
  • Conservative

    14 11.38%
  • Moderate

    10 8.13%
  • Potato

    41 33.33%
Page 42 of 57 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 562

Thread: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

  1. #411
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    best strawman argument ever!!!!!!

    He was trying to be funny, FYI.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  2. #412
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I think both political groups would be upset if Jesus were a liberal.
    Most liberals don't hate Jesus. In fact, most liberals are Christians, or self-identify as such.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #413
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Most liberals don't hate Jesus. In fact, most liberals are Christians, or self-identify as such.
    If that were true, I think liberal policy would be different. I assume you know this based on data?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #414
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    If that were true, I think liberal policy would be different. I assume you know this based on data?
    Forget where I read it, but that statistic is out there and I can't seem to find it right now. Consider the fact that 70% of the nation is Christian, however, and that probably means that a majority at least of Dems, if not liberals, are Christian.

    What do you mean "liberal policy might be different"? Just because most liberals believe in secularism does not make them non-religious. The only liberals who perhaps have a problem with Jesus (as he is portrayed in Scripture) are atheist liberals. Why would liberals in general have a problem with Jesus?
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 03-14-12 at 07:14 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  5. #415
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    If that were true, I think liberal policy would be different. I assume you know this based on data?
    How would it be different?

  6. #416
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    04-15-12 @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,964

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Jesus said marriage was a man and a woman. That makes Jesus a bigot, doesn't it?

  7. #417
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neal N. Bloeme View Post
    Jesus said marriage was a man and a woman. That makes Jesus a bigot, doesn't it?
    I realize you might be attempting to be facetious here, Neal, but Jesus never said that.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #418
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    04-15-12 @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,964

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I realize you might be attempting to be facetious here, Neal, but Jesus never said that.
    Sure he did. I remember reading something like......"In the beginning, God made them male and female, and for this reason a man shall leave his home or whatever and cling to his wife and the two shall become one flesh, blah, blah".

    I'll look for it.

    Yep, it's right there in Matthew 19. Look it up.
    Last edited by Neal N. Bloeme; 03-14-12 at 07:24 PM.

  9. #419
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neal N. Bloeme View Post
    Sure he did. I remember reading something like......"In the beginning, God made them male and female, and for this reason a man shall leave his home or whatever and cling to his wife and the two shall become one flesh, blah, blah".

    I'll look for it.
    Immediately afterward He said that that blessing was not meant for everyone to receive, but that those to whom it was given should recieve it rather than reject it.

  10. #420
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    04-15-12 @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,964

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Immediately afterward He said that that blessing was not meant for everyone to receive, but that those to whom it was given should recieve it rather than reject it.
    Nope. They asked him why did Moses give them permission to divorce. That is what was said immediately after that.

    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...19&version=NIV
    Last edited by Neal N. Bloeme; 03-14-12 at 07:27 PM.

Page 42 of 57 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •