View Poll Results: Which of these political leans would Jesus be?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Liberal

    58 47.15%
  • Conservative

    14 11.38%
  • Moderate

    10 8.13%
  • Potato

    41 33.33%
Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 562

Thread: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

  1. #221
    Educator Black_Zawisza's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    12-20-13 @ 04:15 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    604

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    so the existence of massive poverty next to massive wealth is not justified by right wing Libertarianism?
    No, it doesn't necessarily do so. Personally, I feel that the global distribution of wealth as it stands today is a tragic thing. And I try to alleviate the problem in my own small way.

    But I cannot take from wealthy people who've earned their money honestly in order to fund a War on Poverty. It violates the non-aggression principle.

  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Zawisza View Post
    No, it doesn't necessarily do so. Personally, I feel that the global distribution of wealth as it stands today is a tragic thing. And I try to alleviate the problem in my own small way.

    But I cannot take from wealthy people who've earned their money honestly in order to fund a War on Poverty. It violates the non-aggression principle.
    It also violates God's commandment of Thou shalt not steal.

  3. #223
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    It also violates God's commandment of Thou shalt not steal.
    Please. Lets try and stay in the realm of intellectual honesty. Taxes afe not theft.

  4. #224
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Please. Lets try and stay in the realm of intellectual honesty. Taxes afe not theft.
    If taxation were applied to benefit each citizen equitably, your point might be valid. As it stands, taxation does not benefit everyone to the same extent. Taxation should pay common expenses of the governed (defense, education, commerce regulation, and other common benefits of government). The taxation system that we currently have takes from one for the benefit of another. That is theft, it's just that the government is taking the money from me to give to another rather than the other holding me at gunpoint.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #225
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,562

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    If taxation were applied to benefit each citizen equitably, your point might be valid. As it stands, taxation does not benefit everyone to the same extent. Taxation should pay common expenses of the governed (defense, education, commerce regulation, and other common benefits of government). The taxation system that we currently have takes from one for the benefit of another. That is theft, it's just that the government is taking the money from me to give to another rather than the other holding me at gunpoint.
    I agree 100%, Lizzie, except for the last part, your government actually is holding you at gunpoint, in every sense of the word.
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 03-02-12 at 11:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  6. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Please. Lets try and stay in the realm of intellectual honesty. Taxes afe not theft.
    What's the difference?

  7. #227
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    What's the difference?
    The difference being that a government has a legitimate power of taxation while people do not have a legitimate power to steal.

  8. #228
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    If Jesus Christ were alive today, would he be a liberal, conservative, or something else? Why?
    Jesus is a made up composite character based on several early mesopotamian myths.

    You might as well ask, would Santa Claus be a liberal? The tooth fairy?

  9. #229
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    The difference being that a government has a legitimate power of taxation while people do not have a legitimate power to steal.
    Legitimate power? How do some people acquire a legitimate power to steal? Why don't you or I have this power?

  10. #230
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    Legitimate power? How do some people acquire a legitimate power to steal? Why don't you or I have this power?
    The problem is that you are not making a differentiation between taxation and theft. Taxation is a legitimate power of the US government.

Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •