View Poll Results: Which of these political leans would Jesus be?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Liberal

    58 47.15%
  • Conservative

    14 11.38%
  • Moderate

    10 8.13%
  • Potato

    41 33.33%
Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 562

Thread: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

  1. #161
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    We don't know what Jesus would have said about this modern problem, but if you believe in further revelations, you can read what the Baha'i teachings say about it here:

    Bahá'í Reference Library - Some Answered Questions, Pages 273-277



    That's actually part of the Holy Scripture of the Baha'i religion.
    I appreciate your posting that, as I've been wondering about the religion since I saw you mention it in another thread a few days ago. Regarding a small excerpt of the quote you linked, this is one of my observations:

    This contrast is peculiar to the world of man: with other creatures—that is to say, with nearly all animals—there is a kind of justice and equality. Thus equality exists in a shepherd’s flock and in a herd of deer in the country. Likewise, among the birds of the prairie, of the plain, of the hills or of the orchard, and among every kind of animal some kind of equality prevails. With them such a difference in the means of existence is not to be found; so they live in the most complete peace and joy.

    It is quite otherwise with the human species, which persists in the greatest error, and in absolute iniquity. Consider an individual who has amassed treasures by colonizing a country for his profit: he has obtained an incomparable fortune and has secured profits and incomes which 274 flow like a river, while a hundred thousand unfortunate people, weak and powerless, are in need of a mouthful of bread. There is neither equality nor benevolence.
    The animals live in “peace and joy” because they don’t think. They aren’t self-aware. The laws of nature reign supreme, and there is no questioning about the fairness of it. This is the difference. As humans, we dream, we think, we aspire, we desire, we create our own inner worlds. The animals are no more equal than humans, they just aren’t cognizant of the differences.

    That being said, animals do have more equal access to resources, because the resources they use consist of earth and its products, and water, and since they can't speak, think, write, and create, they can't really gain an unfair advantage. While I understand the points very well, I find the concepts a bit naive for dealing with humanity problems without the presence of a fascist dictator who weilds a huge hammer.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #162
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    That being said, animals do have more equal access to resources, because the resources they use consist of earth and its products, and water, and since they can't speak, think, write, and create, they can't really gain an unfair advantage. While I understand the points very well, I find the concepts a bit naive for dealing with humanity problems without the presence of a fascist dictator who weilds a huge hammer.
    Did you read this excerpt too?:

    Then rules and laws should be established to regulate the excessive fortunes of certain private individuals and meet the needs of millions of the poor masses; thus a certain moderation would be obtained. However, absolute equality is just as impossible, for absolute equality in fortunes, honors, commerce, agriculture, industry would end in disorderliness, in chaos, in disorganization of the means of existence, and in universal disappointment: the order of the community would be quite destroyed. Thus difficulties will also arise when unjustified equality is imposed. It is, therefore, preferable for moderation to be established by means of laws and regulations to hinder the constitution of the excessive fortunes of certain individuals, and to protect the essential needs of the masses.
    Abdul-Baha does not claim mankind should emulate the equality of animals. Not imposing equality is the goal, but moderation.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  3. #163
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    If Jesus Christ were alive today, would he be a liberal, conservative, or something else? Why?
    jesus would be a pot smoking hippie.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  4. #164
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    jesus would be a pot smoking hippie.
    Not sure about the pot smoking, but Jesus certainly was "anti-establishment".
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  5. #165
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Not sure about the pot smoking, but Jesus certainly was "anti-establishment".
    he'd definitely smoke weed.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  6. #166
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Did you read this excerpt too?:



    Abdul-Baha does not claim mankind should emulate the equality of animals. Not imposing equality is the goal, but moderation.
    Yes, I did read that too. I can understand the sentiment, however, as I've said in other threads, this would still ultimately result in our having to face the hard cold facts of nature: those which say animals (and I group humans in with animals in this context) must earn their right to survive. Otherwise, resources are wasted, become short in supply, then when the demand exceeds the supply, a correction happens in the form of death, disease, starvation, and other natural remedies, or in the case of humans- wars.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #167
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    jesus would be a pot smoking hippie.

    I think jesus would say in that case "get a job"

  8. #168
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    he'd definitely smoke weed.

    I think you are projecting.

  9. #169
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Yes, I did read that too. I can understand the sentiment, however, as I've said in other threads, this would still ultimately result in our having to face the hard cold facts of nature: those which say animals (and I group humans in with animals in this context) must earn their right to survive. Otherwise, resources are wasted, become short in supply, then when the demand exceeds the supply, a correction happens in the form of death, disease, starvation, and other natural remedies, or in the case of humans- wars.
    I don't think humanity's main problem is a lack of resources to meet basic needs. There is enough food on this planet to feed everybody. The problem is the distribution.

    Don't get me wrong, I understand your point: Humans fight to get what they want. And certainly humans are ready to fight and die on the question of distribution.

    But that's what religion is for: It tells us what we *ought* do, for that we have a better life on earth and possibly salvation too. That we're not likely going to do that is a different problem.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  10. #170
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Would Jesus be a Liberal?

    Liberals think he would be a liberal. Conservatives think he would be a conservative. He would be both. He was/is perfect that way.

Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •