View Poll Results: Is "Anonymous" a Terrorist Organization?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 35.48%
  • No

    29 46.77%
  • I'm not sure.

    4 6.45%
  • Not yet, but they're getting there.

    7 11.29%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 60

Thread: Is "Anonymous" a Terrorist Organization?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is "Anonymous" a Terrorist Organization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I don't buy that. Good ideas spread like wildfire. There are a lot of positive ways to get your message out.
    Like writing the Declaration of Independence, for instance, and declaring war against your unjust ruler.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #42
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,526

    Re: Is "Anonymous" a Terrorist Organization?

    If these criminals were just harassing government...that'd be one thing. The problem is - the government has way too much information on me. Not to sound narcissistic, but I consider any breach of my personal data in public or private institutions...not good.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is "Anonymous" a Terrorist Organization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    If these criminals were just harassing government...that'd be one thing. The problem is - the government has way too much information on me. Not to sound narcissistic, but I consider any breach of my personal data in public or private institutions...not good.
    But the government already does that itself. They get any and every bit of information they can. They'll force phone companies to give it up, they'll stick GPS trackers to our cars should they be parked outside, etc. Your personal data has already been breached.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is "Anonymous" a Terrorist Organization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Breaking the law does not make one a terrorist.
    I would call them "cyber-guerillas"

    What does "terrorist" mean? To me, it refers to the use of fear tactics by a non-state actor against a civilian population. So, Hamas blowing up a bus in Israel is terrorism - it's meant to frighten people in to submission.

    I think the government uses the term to define any non-state hostile actor.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is "Anonymous" a Terrorist Organization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I would call them "cyber-guerillas"

    What does "terrorist" mean? To me, it refers to the use of fear tactics by a non-state actor against a civilian population. So, Hamas blowing up a bus in Israel is terrorism - it's meant to frighten people in to submission.

    I think the government uses the term to define any non-state hostile actor.
    I'd call it "cyber-pissing-into-the-wind". But the point is the same. I do agree that government uses the term to define any non-state (non-ally State) hostile actor. In general for terrorism, however, I would say that a State could very well utilize terrorism the same as any other individual.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is "Anonymous" a Terrorist Organization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Like writing the Declaration of Independence, for instance, and declaring war against your unjust ruler.
    Canada and Australia never had revolutionary wars, but they're doing fine.

  7. #47
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is "Anonymous" a Terrorist Organization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Then spread your message, but don't break the law.
    Since many people seem to think that protesting = breaking the law its six to one, half dozen to the other.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is "Anonymous" a Terrorist Organization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'd call it "cyber-pissing-into-the-wind". But the point is the same. I do agree that government uses the term to define any non-state (non-ally State) hostile actor. In general for terrorism, however, I would say that a State could very well utilize terrorism the same as any other individual.
    When we kicked off the war in Iraq, we used the whole "shock and awe" campaign which is nothing more than psychological warfare. That's the same principle, anyway.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is "Anonymous" a Terrorist Organization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Canada and Australia never had revolutionary wars, but they're doing fine.
    No their not! Canadia has Frenchies in it, and Australia is descended from criminals.


    hehehehe
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #50
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is "Anonymous" a Terrorist Organization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    When we kicked off the war in Iraq, we used the whole "shock and awe" campaign which is nothing more than psychological warfare. That's the same principle, anyway.
    The US government often works in ways to secure power through plentiful use of fear.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •