View Poll Results: Are the Rich more unethical than middle-class/poor?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    14 35.90%
  • no

    25 64.10%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 78

Thread: Are the Rich more unethical?

  1. #51
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    “I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” Matthew 19:23-24
    You know, its great how almost every social problem and issue has a verse that applies in the Bible. This one is perfect for this debate. Christian or not, we all have to admit that the Bible is a great book that has much wisdom to be imparted on us.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #52
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Yes, that clever scam of "being really poor" to get out of paying an income tax. Genius!

    I'm honestly shocked that this is even a question. Of COURSE the people who have the most wealth and power had to hurt other people and break rules to get it. It takes some really slimy things to get that much wealth and power in the first place. All those politicians on TV that we spend so much time complaining about. They're lying to us constantly, and we all know it. How many of us, who are not wealthy and powerful, are that okay with deceiving people? Or taking bribes in the form of campaign contributions? How many of us could do like Mitt Romney and fire thousands of people in order to make stock prices go up? How many of us would be okay with building wealth based on selling items made in terrible working conditions in the third world? How many of us are willing to pollute willy nilly in order to get rich? I would imagine that the answers to these questions are "very few of us". Serious wealth and power requires some pretty heinous actions.
    These idiotic threads lead to mental masturbation by those who try to justify their welfare socialist nonsense by demonizing the rich. No longer does the parasite movement merely parrot the mantra of from each according to their means-the welfare redistributionists try to justify punitive tax rates on the rich as vengeance from God wreaked upon the unholy

  3. #53
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    You know, its great how almost every social problem and issue has a verse that applies in the Bible. This one is perfect for this debate. Christian or not, we all have to admit that the Bible is a great book that has much wisdom to be imparted on us.
    Actually, The Bible is kind of like the tv show Seinfeld. You don't have to look too far to find something that applies to something.

    Problem with this scenario, and the quote that the other person quoted, is that that particular quote is one of the least understood , and most mis-used, quotes from The Bible. I don't believe it condemns richness or being rich, as most people who quote it are saying or implying. No, I think it just provides a caution to not fall into the trap that wealth can open up for you, and that you need to be on guard to not fall into the trap. That's all.

  4. #54
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Actually, The Bible is kind of like the tv show Seinfeld. You don't have to look too far to find something that applies to something.

    Problem with this scenario, and the quote that the other person quoted, is that that particular quote is one of the least understood , and most mis-used, quotes from The Bible. I don't believe it condemns richness or being rich, as most people who quote it are saying or implying. No, I think it just provides a caution to not fall into the trap that wealth can open up for you, and that you need to be on guard to not fall into the trap. That's all.
    Oh yeah, I know. I think it does a great job of illustrating the temptations of money. That when you think you have "everything", you want for nothing. Including spiritual joy and contentment, a strong family, and a clear conscience.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    One experiment invited 195 adults recruited using Craigslist to play a game in which a computer "rolled dice" for a chance to win a $50 gift certificate. The numbers each participant rolled were the same; anyone self reporting a total higher than 12 was lying about their score. Those in wealthier classes were found to be more likely to fib, Piff said.

    "A $50 prize is a measly sum to people who make $250,000 a year," he said. "So why are they more inclined to cheat?
    The more appropriate question is, why would anyone state they rolled a number higher than was possible, knowing full well anyone with half a brain would know they were lying? Maybe they were bored and just having fun with it.

    Less wealthy individuals also can behave badly, they wrote, noting the relationship between poverty and violent crime in previous research.
    Oh yeah, forgot about that. Wealthy more likely to lie or cheat. Poor more likely to murder, rob, and rape. Let's just let loose with the classist generalizations, UC Berkeley. I mean, why not right?!

    "It's not that the rich are innately bad, but as you rise in the ranks -- whether as a person or a nonhuman primate -- you become more self-focused," Piff said.
    Horse ****. People competent enough to rise in the ranks are more effective at getting what they want. Poor people are just as self-interested, except their self-interested behaviors tend to be more self-destructive.

    "You can change that by reminding upper-class people of the needs of others."
    You can change how idiotic liberals are by reminding them that stupid behaviors have painful consequences.

  6. #56
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    Well there are two basic definitions ..one that is based on an overall sense of right and wrong -which can be subjective, and is more fluid, and another that pertains to the rules and regulations governing a profession.

    I view ethics more as an (admittedly subjective) adherence to doing what is right. Ethics supersedes the law IMO, and while the law often mirrors what is ethically right or wrong, and often serves as a guideline, and in many cases seeks to define ethics, it is too absolute and inflexible. I cannot think of a good hypothetical, but there can be gray areas where the more ethical road could potentially involve not following a particular law. In general not breaking the law is ethical behavior, but in those gray areas where following the law goes against your sense of right and wrong, or where the law itself is unethical (as you yourself admit can be the case), then it is possible that the ethical path is NOT following the law.

    The article did kind of define ethical as the subjective definition i am using when it mentions lying and cheating, and from the experiments conducted and questions posed (granted I am not referencing the actual study) such as cutting off other cars, or not pointing out a cashiers error I also get the impression that they were driving at the former more subjective definition as well.

    YMMV
    Subjective or not.... Stealing is unethical. No matter how you measure right and wrong.
    Lying to get a promotion is the same as bilking someone in 3 card monte.

    The study was skewed in a way that ignores the "wrongness" of breaking basic laws that are quite common among the poor.( The socioeconomic factors that drives the crime rate is a different debate.)
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  7. #57
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I think you're making a leap. Maybe you've just bought into the class warfare hyperbole?

    See, Obama's a great teacher.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #58
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Yes, that clever scam of "being really poor" to get out of paying an income tax. Genius!

    I'm honestly shocked that this is even a question. Of COURSE the people who have the most wealth and power had to hurt other people and break rules to get it. It takes some really slimy things to get that much wealth and power in the first place. All those politicians on TV that we spend so much time complaining about. They're lying to us constantly, and we all know it. How many of us, who are not wealthy and powerful, are that okay with deceiving people? Or taking bribes in the form of campaign contributions? How many of us could do like Mitt Romney and fire thousands of people in order to make stock prices go up? How many of us would be okay with building wealth based on selling items made in terrible working conditions in the third world? How many of us are willing to pollute willy nilly in order to get rich? I would imagine that the answers to these questions are "very few of us". Serious wealth and power requires some pretty heinous actions.
    What a silly generalization, some but certainly not all rich or powerful individuals had to hurt others and break others to reach their status. Some of the poor individuals I know are poor specifically because of personal vices and choice they've made in the past, but that doesn't make all poor individuals and homeless folks inherently lazy or immoral either. Why rebuke someone who was using a generalization and respond with one of your own?

  9. #59
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    See, Obama's a great teacher.
    In pointing out the silliness of the conservative claim? Likely, but he isn't needed for that.

    Did you catch this little nugget?

    Despite the improving jobs numbers, Fox News isn’t yet congratulating President Obama on the recovery. In fact, Stewart noticed the pundits on Fox News echo talking points distributed by the Republican National Committee: the national debt, unemployment and rising gas prices.

    “Fox News, rooting for America to fail since November 2008,” Stewart said.

    Jon Stewart Rips Fox News For Mimicking GOP Talking Points | TPMDC

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #60
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,305

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    These idiotic threads lead to mental masturbation by those who try to justify their welfare socialist nonsense by demonizing the rich. No longer does the parasite movement merely parrot the mantra of from each according to their means-the welfare redistributionists try to justify punitive tax rates on the rich as vengeance from God wreaked upon the unholy
    I didn't see anything demonizing of the rich, just the usual facts suggesting many are basic scumbags. "Justice is for the rich and influential" doesn't mean that those who can afford to buy justice are the good guys. They are the chief polluters, misusers, maladministrators, colluders, and slimebag lawyers that pontificate publicly and manifest skullduggery, chaos, and mayhem privately. That would be like ginning up a war because it will make your corporation more money. A true art of the wealthy, also known as the military/industrial/corporate complex. Others just refer to them as the 1%. Who'd a thunk it?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •