View Poll Results: Are the Rich more unethical than middle-class/poor?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    14 35.90%
  • no

    25 64.10%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 78

Thread: Are the Rich more unethical?

  1. #31
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Ultimately its about risk analysis. Being rich presents less risk for bad behavior and often an inflated sense of self importance based on research on how power affects the brain.
    Not so sure about that Mega. it's not that the wealthy face less risk per se, the risks are different. The poor face risk if they have a driver's license and speed, run a red light, get caught DUI, and pretty much any other crimes because they don't have the means to pay the ticket without a substantial financial burden, yet they will not face insider trading charges or other compliance issues. The speeding ticket to the wealthy man is a wink, nod, and check written but he faces the charge if he doesn't hire a driver. The poor and most middle class don't have access to high financial crimes unless we are speaking of scamming or identity theft. I've seen insurance agents go to prison for some stupid stuff because they let their hunger get the best of them, they were on the cusp of being wealthy and blew it by doing things like issuing fake insurance policy certificates and pocketing the proposed premiums, selling multiple forms of the same policies, etc. all illegal and something only one with the professional license faces, same with doctors(double billing medicare, malpractice, falsifying medicine prescriptions, etc.). The wealthy tend to have different risks but not necessarily less.

    This being said it's not a poor/middle/rich rather who chooses to do things properly and who chooses to use flawed ethical practices.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #32
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,517

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    one becomes greatly wealthy, by taking big risks.

    and when you feel you're able to take such a bet and win over & over, its much easier to contemplate committing crimes.
    We do live in a Risk/Reward society. I think your point is debatable. I say that because I think it depends on the insider connections with market and financial groups that a person might have. But more importantly, I think it's necessary to "also" have the political connections one might have to gain "special" favors.

    Now keep in mind. The connections don't necessarily mean that an individual is actually doing ILLEGAL things, but by the standard of common sense and is involved in trading or business activities not privy to all people, might be engaged in what most would consider to be unethical activities, which I call cronyism or legal corruption.

    As far as "most people" who are aggressively involved in risk/reward endeavors to generate income...I'm sure there might be a population within such a group who might border on unethical behaviors...but I can't guess that percentage would be.

    JMO...

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    I suspect so. If one has money, wealth, and power, well...

    ...they are undoubtable more tempted/apt to use it for their own goals.

  4. #34
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,722

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    The rich tend to think of themselves as above everybody else, so they will often do anything to maintain that illusion.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  5. #35
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,684
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I think you're making a leap. Maybe you've just bought into the class warfare hyperbole?


    Well, we have a thread about how France may go to a 75% tax on the "rich" and two posts before mine claimed being rich is like a gateway drug for crime. So, I'm going to say I'm not making too big of a leap.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  6. #36
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Well, we have a thread about how France may go to a 75% tax on the "rich" and two posts before mine claimed being rich is like a gateway drug for crime. So, I'm going to say I'm not making too big of a leap.
    First, we used to have the wealthy pay more than here, you know, in the good old days, and now they whine about 38%.

    But we're not France, and I'm not sure gateway is the word used. But I may have missed it. Would you say Gateway is a predominate theory, or more that with greater opportunity comes greater likelihood?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    “I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” Matthew 19:23-24
    ...however, it does not literally mean the hole in a sewing needle. Like this:

    Are the Rich more unethical?-220px-eye_of_a_needle-jpg

    The "eye of a needle" has been interpreted as a gate in Jerusalem, which opened after the main gate was closed at night. A camel could only pass through this smaller gate if it was stooped and had its baggage removed. This story has been put forth since at least the 15th century, and possibly as far back as the 9th century. However, there is no evidence for the existence of such a gate.
    Eye of a needle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    [Basically, some could misinterpret that saying as it being impossible for a wealthy person to go to Heaven.]
    Last edited by Wake; 02-28-12 at 04:39 PM.

  8. #38
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    <disclaimer: I did not read all of the previous posts on this topic>

    I think the first thing you have to do is define "unethical". Is committing ANY crime "unethical"? Is taking advantage of ones position of power at the expense of another "unethical"?

    I define it as the willingness to break a law or to take unfair advantage of another person. By my definition, neither side is more unethical than the other. That is why I voted NO.
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  9. #39
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    There are times that I think education is overrated. Times that we tend to over-think things. This is one of those times.

    I don't believe that rich people are any more or less unethical than poor and middle-class people. In my experiences poor and middle-class people are just as unethical and just as prone to rationalize their actions when deep down they know they're wrong. The only difference is *how* they do it and *what* the unethical behavior is. Rich people tend to have more options and resources in which to be unethical, thus their actions have a more far-reaching effect into the rest of society. Poor and middle-class people are more limited in what effects their unethical actions can do to others outside their immediate circle.

  10. #40
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Are the Rich more unethical?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    funny though - because I've heard that exact same thing said about the poor who are on welfare.

    How can the poor and reliant and rich and self sufficient both have this same view?

    Is that saying that those in the middle don't ever think this way?
    Because PEOPLE tend to take whatever they can get away with... subject to whatever is within their individual immediate grasp.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •