View Poll Results: Will the Tea Party movement remain relevant if the GOP wins the White House?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely

    5 15.15%
  • Probably

    6 18.18%
  • Maybe

    5 15.15%
  • Probably Not

    7 21.21%
  • Definitely Not

    5 15.15%
  • Other (Please Explain)

    5 15.15%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 91

Thread: Will the Tea Party movement remain relevant if the GOP wins the White House?

  1. #51
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Will the Tea Party movement remain relevant if the GOP wins the White House?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Zawisza View Post
    The Republican Party controlled all three branches from 2001 to 2006, and the federal government only grew under their watch.

    Furthermore, a big chunk of the public outrage over Guantanamo, the USA PATRIOT Act, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and a whole host of other things evaporated as soon as Bush left office and Obama came in (IMO, anyway, we can debate over this too).

    With these points in mind, do you think that the Tea Party will remain politically relevant if the Republicans win in 2012? Or will fiscal conservatism be relegated to the back of the bus once the GOP is in power?
    There is no path I can see for a republican candidate to the White House without significant Tea Party support. As such it will be a constituancy that the president would then want to keep happy. So yes, if a republican wins, then I would say they would remain relelvant. Whether they would remain in the same form as they are is a much different question.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Will the Tea Party movement remain relevant if the GOP wins the White House?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Of course it won't. Even GOP Presidents can be big government spenders.
    That's because the GOP isn't conservative anymore, they're the hyper-religious liberal party. There isn't a fiscally conservative party in America these days.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #53
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Will the Tea Party movement remain relevant if the GOP wins the White House?

    I voted 'probably', even though this hypothetical -> Repubs win the white house, isn't going to happen.


    4 more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  4. #54
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Will the Tea Party movement remain relevant if the GOP wins the White House?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    I understand the need and desire to want to take care of issues with your guy or your party quietly and in-house, but the question I have is was Bush really "our guy"?
    Because the vast amount of voters in America are pragmatic rather than idealistic so realize that, at least in the immediate present and foreseeable future, the Republican Party is the closest thing to a viable ideologically conservative party in the United States. And Bush was the Republican President.

    I'll use a sports analogy, which I do often in this because its a very similar group mentality, of the "franchise QB". You may know that the guy you have isn't going to be your franchise QB, you know he's not going to win it for you...but for the time being he's your guy so when talking to fans of opposing teams and in general you're apt to be like "Oh yeah, we can win with him, he's better than you think!". When in reality, in private or amongst other fans of your team, you're going "man...we've GOT to get a new guy soon".

    And the larger question we should be looking at is this: Is the Republican Party still the party of fiscal conservatism?
    Of the two viable major political parties in the US? Yes. However, at this point when viewing the party at large its akin to saying that rice cakes are more flavorful than cardboard.

    So why should fiscal conservatives keep quiet and try to deal with their issues with the GOP quietly and in-house?
    Not saying they should, I'm saying they will, based on human nature and the mentality of the average voters in the US regardless of political party. Whether they should or not is an entirely different argument.

  5. #55
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Will the Tea Party movement remain relevant if the GOP wins the White House?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Because the vast amount of voters in America are pragmatic rather than idealistic so realize that, at least in the immediate present and foreseeable future, the Republican Party is the closest thing to a viable ideologically conservative party in the United States. And Bush was the Republican President.

    I'll use a sports analogy, which I do often in this because its a very similar group mentality, of the "franchise QB". You may know that the guy you have isn't going to be your franchise QB, you know he's not going to win it for you...but for the time being he's your guy so when talking to fans of opposing teams and in general you're apt to be like "Oh yeah, we can win with him, he's better than you think!". When in reality, in private or amongst other fans of your team, you're going "man...we've GOT to get a new guy soon".
    Even sports fans can turn a guy if he's bad enough or offensive enough. Plenty of guys have booed out of town for sucking. The point of my question was looking at things now, can we point to any major or significant stance or initiative that Bush took or promoted that could be called fiscally conservative? I can't think of one.

    As far as pragmatic goes, I get it to a point. I consider myself to be a pragmatic libertarian. I don't expect mainstream candidates to line up perfectly with my views, even though I'm moderate by many libertarian standards. But at a certain point ideals have to matter. Just being less bad than the other guys becomes meaningless after a certain point. Allow me to paint an extreme example. Candidate A wants to abolish the military entirely. Candidate B just wants to disband the navy and airforce. Measuring them in a vaccuum against each other, Candidate B is more reasonable. But both are still insanely reckless. Do you vote for B because he's slightly less damaging to the country? Or do you say, "Its time to start looking for option C?"

    Of the two viable major political parties in the US? Yes. However, at this point when viewing the party at large its akin to saying that rice cakes are more flavorful than cardboard.
    Yes, if you make a strict comparison between Democrats and Republicans, the GOP is slightly more fiscally conservative. But to use your agenda they're offering rice cakes when they could be offering steak. Or if steak is too extreme, chicken or even just a nice salad would be better. Almost anything would be better than rice cakes. Being tastier than cardboard is hardly something to brag about. And my point is fiscal conservatives should be sick and tired of eating rice cakes when the GOP keeps promising juicy steaks. Its time we stood up and called them out on their failure to deliver.

    Not saying they should, I'm saying they will, based on human nature and the mentality of the average voters in the US regardless of political party. Whether they should or not is an entirely different argument.
    That's the argument I think we should be having. Like I said, I'm willing compromise. I might want to cut the government by 30%, but I'd still vote for a candidate who only wants to cut it by 10% because its a step in the right direction even if it doesn't go as far as I'd like. But I'm sick of voting for guys who want to grow it by 5% and claim to be the fiscal conservatives because the other guy wants to grow it by 10%. Either way, we're moving in the wrong direction. Its just a question of how fast.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Will the Tea Party movement remain relevant if the GOP wins the White House?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    [...] I consider myself to be a pragmatic libertarian. I don't expect mainstream candidates to line up perfectly with my views, even though I'm moderate by many libertarian standards. But at a certain point ideals have to matter. Just being less bad than the other guys becomes meaningless after a certain point. Allow me to paint an extreme example. Candidate A wants to abolish the military entirely. Candidate B just wants to disband the navy and airforce. Measuring them in a vaccuum against each other, Candidate B is more reasonable. But both are still insanely reckless. [...]
    Candidate A is your man. Like the founders, Libertarians want no standing army. You're no Libertarian.

  7. #57
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Will the Tea Party movement remain relevant if the GOP wins the White House?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    Even sports fans can turn a guy if he's bad enough or offensive enough. Plenty of guys have booed out of town for sucking. The point of my question was looking at things now, can we point to any major or significant stance or initiative that Bush took or promoted that could be called fiscally conservative? I can't think of one.
    You could possibly say the Bush Tax Cuts if viewed on singularly on their own measure rather than in the total context of his policies. A few of the market aspects of Medicare Part D have proven somewhat fiscally successful, but as a whole that policy can't really be put forward as an example. But yeah, there's no much to hang your hat on.

    As far as pragmatic goes, I get it to a point. I consider myself to be a pragmatic libertarian. I don't expect mainstream candidates to line up perfectly with my views, even though I'm moderate by many libertarian standards. But at a certain point ideals have to matter. Just being less bad than the other guys becomes meaningless after a certain point. Allow me to paint an extreme example. Candidate A wants to abolish the military entirely. Candidate B just wants to disband the navy and airforce. Measuring them in a vaccuum against each other, Candidate B is more reasonable. But both are still insanely reckless. Do you vote for B because he's slightly less damaging to the country? Or do you say, "Its time to start looking for option C?"
    I do believe such a point DOES exist. I just think its a lot farther off than people like you, and I to a point, would like. While we may consider ourselves pragmatic...realistically we're still more idealistic than the average voter.

    Its going to take something massive, and on something that is a hot button issue for the average person, similar to what you just described to finally cause such a choice to occur. Sadly....spending a lot in one way or spending a lot in another way, right now, isn't cutting it for causing that pragmatic nature to be tossed out.

    Yes, if you make a strict comparison between Democrats and Republicans, the GOP is slightly more fiscally conservative. But to use your agenda they're offering rice cakes when they could be offering steak. Or if steak is too extreme, chicken or even just a nice salad would be better. Almost anything would be better than rice cakes. Being tastier than cardboard is hardly something to brag about. And my point is fiscal conservatives should be sick and tired of eating rice cakes when the GOP keeps promising juicy steaks. Its time we stood up and called them out on their failure to deliver.
    I agree that being tastier than cardboard isn't something to brag about. But it's apparently enough, at least it has been for some time and appears that it will be for some time in the near future. And I agree with you that it'd be more beneficial in the long run for Republicans to take a stand and say "no, wer'e not going along with this anymore". I just don't think its going to happen...and I can't really blame people for it to be honest even if I disagree with it.

  8. #58
    Advisor Hikertrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    09-26-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    352

    Re: Will the Tea Party movement remain relevant if the GOP wins the White House?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    They were the ones who invented the sexual innuendo themselves. Unless you think this is pro-Obama:
    They loved being Tea Baggers until they found out the sexual connotation.

    Will the Tea Party movement remain relevant if the GOP wins the White House?-teabaggerlogic-jpg

  9. #59
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: Will the Tea Party movement remain relevant if the GOP wins the White House?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You could possibly say the Bush Tax Cuts if viewed on singularly on their own measure rather than in the total context of his policies. A few of the market aspects of Medicare Part D have proven somewhat fiscally successful, but as a whole that policy can't really be put forward as an example. But yeah, there's no much to hang your hat on.

    I do believe such a point DOES exist. I just think its a lot farther off than people like you, and I to a point, would like. While we may consider ourselves pragmatic...realistically we're still more idealistic than the average voter.

    Its going to take something massive, and on something that is a hot button issue for the average person, similar to what you just described to finally cause such a choice to occur. Sadly....spending a lot in one way or spending a lot in another way, right now, isn't cutting it for causing that pragmatic nature to be tossed out.
    I agree. What would you define as "massive"? I'm thinking there would need to be a combination of factors...and that if gas goes up past $6, this might be the pragmatic issue that's the tipping point.

    That will hit ordinary Americans very hard, and not just at the pump, but also at the grocery store checkout line.

  10. #60
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Will the Tea Party movement remain relevant if the GOP wins the White House?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Candidate A is your man. Like the founders, Libertarians want no standing army. You're no Libertarian.
    I love it when people tell me what a real libertarian is. As if there was some handbook we all have to follow. Defense is a legitimate function of the state. And especially in the modern world with instantaneous commincations and modern equipment like tanks, planes, missiles, and such being needed to have a functional military, its not feasible to have no standing army. And if saying that makes me a statist aurhoritarian in your book, well that says a lot more about your book than my actual beliefs.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •