View Poll Results: How much do you allocate to the other person?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • None - I keep everything.

    11 22.00%
  • 10-20%

    10 20.00%
  • 20-40%

    5 10.00%
  • 50%

    20 40.00%
  • 50-70%

    0 0%
  • 70-90%

    0 0%
  • Everything - I keep nothing.

    4 8.00%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 85

Thread: How generous are you? (Part I)

  1. #71
    Sage
    Enola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-30-16 @ 02:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,326
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Altruism as a result would be more along the lines of:

    A wealthy individual that is quite famous as a philanthropist offers to give you 5 millions dollars. You have two choices. Keep it all to yourself, or you can give 50% of it to the charity of your choice as long as that charity is legitimate (aspca, cancer society, ms foundation, etc etc). Would you give 50 % or take it all for yourself?

    Something like that.

  2. #72
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Couldn't you just turn around and say, then, that "altruism" is the degree of personal utility you derive from helping strangers?

  3. #73
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Well, it's highly possible that we've just been psychologically conditioned to feel good about it. We're taught from a very young age to be *nice*, which implies that thoughts of self-interest are to be supressed, which is total bunk.
    Every single thing we do in life is because of self-interest. Every single thing. Our self interests need to be supressed. It's critical that we learn to feel good about being *nice* -- if we didn't, we'd be ***holes top to bottom.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #74
    American Infidel
    stsburns's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pergatory
    Last Seen
    05-21-12 @ 03:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,297

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    In my family, I was always taught it I had more than I needed, I should help someone else. I generally give about 10%-15%.
    CENTRIST - I AM AN EQUAL OFFENDING DEBATOR
    [{Presented in Brain Control Where Available}]|[{Not Y2k Complient or EPA Approved}]
    C-Span:Created by Cable, Offered as a Public Service. http://www.cspan.org

  5. #75
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    I'm not sure. Being a stranger I don't know if they would use the money for drugs, weapons of mass destruction, or charity. I know my motives and what I would do with the money. If the money legally belongs to the both of us and we are equals I would split it 50/50. Whoever, if it's all mine and I am simply apportioning some to someone else I would have to think about that.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Every single thing we do in life is because of self-interest. Every single thing.
    Yepp, even when we share the world with others.
    Imagine you have the provisions for one calendar year and are locked in an isolated place with all modern conceniences but with no human contact. How would you feel?

  7. #77
    Sage
    Enola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-30-16 @ 02:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,326
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Yepp, even when we share the world with others.
    Imagine you have the provisions for one calendar year and are locked in an isolated place with all modern conceniences but with no human contact. How would you feel?
    I'd be in seventh heaven! But...only if I can have my pets with me.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Quote Originally Posted by Enola View Post
    I'd be in seventh heaven! But...only if I can have my pets with me.
    I guess you can. But no Internet and DP, if someone didn't understand.
    Are you going to be OK again?

  9. #79
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    You are given a large sum of money (more than a million dollars) and are asked to split it between yourself and another person you don't know. You are sitting at a table with this person when the decision is made. Let's say that this other person is from the same country you are, but you don't know anything else about them.

    You can take what you want and give them the remainder. You can even decide to give them nothing. The other person has no input into your decision.

    How much money do you allocate to the other person?

    EDIT: If you know what this experiment is, please don't ruin it for others.
    Do I get to talk with them and/or ask them questions to better assess them?

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    You are given a large sum of money (more than a million dollars) and are asked to split it between yourself and another person you don't know. You are sitting at a table with this person when the decision is made. Let's say that this other person is from the same country you are, but you don't know anything else about them.

    You can take what you want and give them the remainder. You can even decide to give them nothing. The other person has no input into your decision.

    How much money do you allocate to the other person?

    EDIT: If you know what this experiment is, please don't ruin it for others.
    I will only give to entities I can identify.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •