View Poll Results: How much do you allocate to the other person?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • None - I keep everything.

    11 22.00%
  • 10-20%

    10 20.00%
  • 20-40%

    5 10.00%
  • 50%

    20 40.00%
  • 50-70%

    0 0%
  • 70-90%

    0 0%
  • Everything - I keep nothing.

    4 8.00%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 85

Thread: How generous are you? (Part I)

  1. #51
    Educator barbarian_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Existing between 2 entities of darkness
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    761

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    Because it isn't your money to decide what to do with. You're only responsible for it.

    I am thinking of a number 1- 1,000,000. OP has a quaky question not enough info given to draw up any conclusion on where the money came from or even where it is going, even though a choice has been given to allocate all of it or none of it.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Actually it is. It's called the Dictator Game and is a test of personal utility vs. altruism. It's been done in person in a lab setting many times.

    Interestingly, in all experiments involving this game, most of the participants in the dictator role end up alotting money to the other person instead of keeping it all.



    It shows that humans have an altruistic core, even with others they don't know. While theorists offer explanations for why the dictator would not maximize their own alottment, it may also partially disprove the economic theory that all humans are purely self-interested actors. I wanted to see if the results would be similar with people at DP and they were. The overwhelming majority would give some portion of the money away instead of keeping it all - and more would give half than in any other category. The fact that people know practically nothing about the receiver does not change the outcome.

    Thanks everyone for participating.
    Let's change the game now.
    Have people do some kind of "work" for that money.

    I'm betting the results would change.
    I don't think this proves altruism, at all.

    For one, the people are being observed by others.
    They haven't factored in the visible social benefit from being fair, with found money.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #53
    Educator barbarian_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Existing between 2 entities of darkness
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    761

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Actually it is. It's called the Dictator Game and is a test of personal utility vs. altruism. It's been done in person in a lab setting many times.

    Interestingly, in all experiments involving this game, most of the participants in the dictator role end up alotting money to the other person instead of keeping it all.



    It shows that humans have an altruistic core, even with others they don't know. While theorists offer explanations for why the dictator would not maximize their own alottment, it may also partially disprove the economic theory that all humans are purely self-interested actors. I wanted to see if the results would be similar with people at DP and they were. The overwhelming majority would give some portion of the money away instead of keeping it all - and more would give half than in any other category. The fact that people know practically nothing about the receiver does not change the outcome.

    Thanks everyone for participating.
    This is way I would keep it all because I know I am a better dictator than he would be.

  4. #54
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian_style View Post
    First, I wouldn't touch the money if it didn't come from a clean source, I really don't need the money.
    I'll take money from anyone, whether the money is clean or not, as long as they understand I won't do anything dirty in return. Taking their money doesn't help them. It's giving money to dirty people that's morally unacceptable.

  5. #55
    Educator barbarian_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Existing between 2 entities of darkness
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    761

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    I'll take money from anyone, whether the money is clean or not, as long as they understand I won't do anything dirty in return. Taking their money doesn't help them. It's giving money to dirty people that's morally unacceptable.
    The source of the money is from a guy in the mafia, the guy you can allocate money to is an undercover FBI. You keep the money and the FBI sting just implements you as part of the conspiracy. One stupid hypothetical is as good as 2.

    I stand the money for me would have to be clean or too many variables in the hypothetical situation could net you trouble.
    Last edited by barbarian_style; 02-20-12 at 07:37 PM.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Let's change the game now.
    Have people do some kind of "work" for that money.

    I'm betting the results would change.
    I don't think this proves altruism, at all.

    For one, the people are being observed by others.
    They haven't factored in the visible social benefit from being fair, with found money.
    Yes and that is admitted in the snippet I posted. However, the same experiment has been conducted with the anonymity factor and the results are similar although the alottment tends to be less. That was going to be part II of this experiment on DP, but I thought people might get tired of seeing the same thing.

    I think altruism is still a factor here.

  7. #57
    User Bettina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Last Seen
    08-01-12 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    56

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Actually it is. It's called the Dictator Game and is a test of personal utility vs. altruism. It's been done in person in a lab setting many times.

    Interestingly, in all experiments involving this game, most of the participants in the dictator role end up alotting money to the other person instead of keeping it all.



    It shows that humans have an altruistic core, even with others they don't know. While theorists offer explanations for why the dictator would not maximize their own alottment, it may also partially disprove the economic theory that all humans are purely self-interested actors. I wanted to see if the results would be similar with people at DP and they were. The overwhelming majority would give some portion of the money away instead of keeping it all - and more would give half than in any other category. The fact that people know practically nothing about the receiver does not change the outcome.

    Thanks everyone for participating.
    This was awesome. Good Job.
    When the gift is the music, it comes from a heart that sings.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Yes and that is admitted in the snippet I posted. However, the same experiment has been conducted with the anonymity factor and the results are similar although the alottment tends to be less. That was going to be part II of this experiment on DP, but I thought people might get tired of seeing the same thing.

    I think altruism is still a factor here.
    Altruism is selfless giving, if it makes you feel good to give, it isn't altruistic.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #59
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Whomever is giving me the money can just go ahead and give me whatever portion they deem is to be mine, then they themselves can do whatever they want with the rest. I don't accept conditions placed on something that someone gives to me. If they have deemed that it is to be split, then they should do the splitting and not try to put a guilt trip on me, nor try to judge my value as a human.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: How generous are you? (Part I)

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Altruism is selfless giving, if it makes you feel good to give, it isn't altruistic.
    That's splitting hairs. Feeling good about giving can be included in some people's personal utility, but you can't generalize all people based on it. You'd also have to prove that feeling good is the source of giving, instead of being a secondary byproduct of intending to give.

    If feeling good about helping other humans is built-in, then it still proves that altruism is part of our nature since there is a biological reward for doing so.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •