View Poll Results: Should ESPN have fired the writer?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES. Fire him!!

    13 29.55%
  • NO. Lighten up!!

    31 70.45%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 143

Thread: Racist, or just a joke?

  1. #111
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Yellow journalism.
    I dislike your jaundiced view of the media
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  2. #112
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,999

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    It was a dumb, racist, forced joke, but was it necessary to fire the guy? I dunno. I tend to think that the power of a racist epithet is directly tied to how oppressed the race was in question. The N word? Highly significant because black people were just about as oppressed as it gets (but they're only in second place since they weren't the target of actual, bona fide mother****ing genocide), but Asians? Aside from a few unfortunate missteps in our nation's history I'm not sure Asians are a terribly maligned race.* I'm not Asian and obviously can't speak for everyone.


    *Disclaimer: Asian country that is currently kicking our asses economically will be looked upon in the national media with disgruntlement.

  3. #113
    Sage
    Enola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-30-16 @ 02:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,326
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Of course it is.

    By the way, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.
    Yeah? Wanna trade for my ocean front property in Arizona?

  4. #114
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    *Disclaimer: Asian country that is currently kicking our asses economically
    You do know that they value their own currency and observe no human, labor or environmental rights, don't ya? How many people are dying per year of malnutrition and starvation in China? Healthcare? Haha. Justice? Haha. They got equal rights... no one gets any. It's like comparing apples and yellows.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 02-22-12 at 02:11 AM.

  5. #115
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    How can people just assume that the writer meant is in a racist manner? That is a huge leap. Perhaps if it was on a website known for racist remarks, then you can probably assume that it was meant to be racist, but come on, it's ESPN. Bad Headline, yes, but racist, doubt it.
    Hail to the King baby!

  6. #116
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    You say "the reality that people who are aware of the word's racially charged connotation are not necessarily sensitive" why should the rest of the world have to censor themselves because some people take things out of context or are "sensitive" to words. If someone uses a word maliciously that is probably wrong, but what about when it is not, as is the case with your signature.

    As for the Linderella issue, I was merely pointing out that people were not aware or "sensitive" to how offensive some people consider the story of Cinderella. My point was proven because you had no idea that some people thought it was offensive.
    I suspect that the # of people who think the cinderalla story is offensive is infinitesimal compared to those who know about the word "chink"

    Not knowing the first makes you normal; Not knowing the latter makes you too ignorant to be a journalist for a major news provider
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #117
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    How can people just assume that the writer meant is in a racist manner? That is a huge leap. Perhaps if it was on a website known for racist remarks, then you can probably assume that it was meant to be racist, but come on, it's ESPN. Bad Headline, yes, but racist, doubt it.
    How can people assume that it was not racist? I guess it is a YMMV kind of thing. When it comes to hate and racism? I would rather err on the side of caution than to take someone at that their word that it was just a harmless joke or was taking out of context. Do you REALLY think they are gonna admit it if was racist? Of course not. Come on now.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  8. #118
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I suspect that the # of people who think the cinderalla story is offensive is infinitesimal compared to those who know about the word "chink"

    Not knowing the first makes you normal; Not knowing the latter makes you too ignorant to be a journalist for a major news provider
    My point was that none of it should be offensive. I was addressing the other user because he was intent on making the point that if you are "insensitive" to how words impact people whom they have charged meanings for that you are wrong. Things are only as offensive as you let them be. I also addressed his signature as potentially offensive because it relied on stereotypical behavior. If you read my post about taking back the power of words it might make more sense.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  9. #119
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    It was a dumb, racist, forced joke, but was it necessary to fire the guy? I dunno. I tend to think that the power of a racist epithet is directly tied to how oppressed the race was in question. The N word? Highly significant because black people were just about as oppressed as it gets (but they're only in second place since they weren't the target of actual, bona fide mother****ing genocide), but Asians? Aside from a few unfortunate missteps in our nation's history I'm not sure Asians are a terribly maligned race.* I'm not Asian and obviously can't speak for everyone.


    *Disclaimer: Asian country that is currently kicking our asses economically will be looked upon in the national media with disgruntlement.
    So you are saying there are various levels of racism and what should or should not be accepted? I mean is there some Top 5 list and if that race falls below it then it is ok to spew racism towards them or something? Racism is Racism and it does not matter if you were really oppressed or oppressed just a little bit. None of it is cool. Give me a break.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  10. #120
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    How can people assume that it was not racist? I guess it is a YMMV kind of thing. When it comes to hate and racism? I would rather err on the side of caution than to take someone at that their word that it was just a harmless joke or was taking out of context. Do you REALLY think they are gonna admit it if was racist? Of course not. Come on now.
    Why are you quick to assume that it was meant in a harmful way. Why blow your career over what may be considered a slur? Do we know that the person in question is so racist that he would destroy his career? Why not just start a hate group?

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •