View Poll Results: Should ESPN have fired the writer?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES. Fire him!!

    13 29.55%
  • NO. Lighten up!!

    31 70.45%
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 143

Thread: Racist, or just a joke?

  1. #101
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    Yellow journalism.

  2. #102
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    When I say "history" I'm not referring simply to the distant past. There are, in fact, racists TODAY who use words like 'chink' in racist manner. So to reiterate my original point, it's not sensitive to take that into account when determining whether or not it could be racist. This has nothing to do with "giving words power over us" or being "affected" by those words. It has to do with seeing a word and discerning the intent of the author who used it.
    Yes, as I pointed out, the journalistic who, what,when, where , why, how. If someone calls me a whore (which has a lot of history and current negative undertones) I let it roll by,


    I didn't say people should recognize racial undertones, I said that when people do recognize the racial undertones, they aren't automatically sensitive. That is fact. Recognizing reality does not make them sensitive, it makes them knowledgeable. Moreover, my comments had nothing to do with how people "feel" and they also had nothing to do with "meaning that we allow words to have". My comments were about the objective reality that the word "chink" has been and still is used by people in a racially charged or racist manner and that recognizing this does not make someone sensitive.
    Some words have lost some of their power, for example, some people in this thread didn't even think that the headline could be offensive until it was pointed it out not because they are insensitive, but because they have been brought up in a world that is not accepting of slurs.

    Why would anybody find that potentially offensive? Cinderella is not cited in American culture to refer to indentured servitude, it is cited to refer to "fairy tale" like stories.
    If you have not heard of the criticisms of many Disney characters, especially the women are portrayed I suggest that you read A Two Tale Comparison :: essays papers "Fairy tales such as Cinderella have been found guilty of possessing subliminal socialization traits. Classifying genders as inferior and molding young girls into the female that society expects them to be. In Charles Perraultís version, which is considered the most common, Cinderella is seen as passive, limited, dependent and inferior. As critics argue, these traits can hinder a childís self esteem." Or find some other source. That is an example of how these fairy tales offend some people, who I also think need to think about their own sensitivities,

    If somebody finds my signature offensive, then they are retarded.
    As I see it there are 2 problems with this statement. First, there is a current movement to end the use of the word "retarded" as it offends many people. Second you don't acknowledge the stereotypical base your signature comes from: a video hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo husband 'cause they rapin' e'rybody out here. - YouTube of a stereotypical black man, this video is stereotypical, which is a component of racism. If you are going to find one slur offensive, you cannot be selective.

    As for the unfortunate firing, why would someone jeopardize such a cush job with ESPN?

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  3. #103
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Yellow journalism.
    lol good one
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #104
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    Yes, as I pointed out, the journalistic who, what,when, where , why, how. If someone calls me a whore (which has a lot of history and current negative undertones) I let it roll by,
    Great, I never said that people shouldn't let things roll by.

    Some words have lost some of their power, for example, some people in this thread didn't even think that the headline could be offensive until it was pointed it out not because they are insensitive, but because they have been brought up in a world that is not accepting of slurs.
    Ignorance doesn't erase reality. My comment is about reality - the reality that people who are aware of the word's racially charged connotation are not necessarily sensitive.

    If you have not heard of the criticisms of many Disney characters, especially the women are portrayed I suggest that you read A Two Tale Comparison :: essays papers "Fairy tales such as Cinderella have been found guilty of possessing subliminal socialization traits. Classifying genders as inferior and molding young girls into the female that society expects them to be. In Charles Perrault’s version, which is considered the most common, Cinderella is seen as passive, limited, dependent and inferior. As critics argue, these traits can hinder a child’s self esteem." Or find some other source. That is an example of how these fairy tales offend some people, who I also think need to think about their own sensitivities
    This is completely off topic from my original comment.

    As I see it there are 2 problems with this statement. First, there is a current movement to end the use of the word "retarded" as it offends many people. Second you don't acknowledge the stereotypical base your signature comes from: a video hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo husband 'cause they rapin' e'rybody out here. - YouTube of a stereotypical black man, this video is stereotypical, which is a component of racism. If you are going to find one slur offensive, you cannot be selective.

    As for the unfortunate firing, why would someone jeopardize such a cush job with ESPN?
    I used the word retarded on purpose. Moreover, what you really don't seem to grasp is that my comment was not arguing that chink is offensive, it was arguing that people who acknowledge the racially charged meaning of "chink" are not necessarily sensitive. Get it yet?

  5. #105
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,202

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    It was a very unfortunate choice of words, and pulling it from the website was probably a good idea. Firing the writer is going a bit too far.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #106
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,674

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    They should have just made him do Lin's laundry for a week.

    Ahhh so...
    Ha cha cha.....

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  7. #107
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,177

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    They have the right to fire him for whatever they like.

    I find SB's reasoning as to why this probably wasn't a coincidence fairly convincing. I don't think it was. I think the guy is just an idiot.

    While I am not personally very offended by this, and I don't think the guy is a racist, that was an incredibly poor judgment call on the part of the writer. Just jaw-droppingly stupid. Firing someone for jaw-dropping stupidity is understandable.

  8. #108
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Great, I never said that people shouldn't let things roll by.
    Ignorance doesn't erase reality. My comment is about reality - the reality that people who are aware of the word's racially charged connotation are not necessarily sensitive.

    This is completely off topic from my original comment.

    I used the word retarded on purpose. Moreover, what you really don't seem to grasp is that my comment was not arguing that chink is offensive, it was arguing that people who acknowledge the racially charged meaning of "chink" are not necessarily sensitive. Get it yet?
    You say "the reality that people who are aware of the word's racially charged connotation are not necessarily sensitive" why should the rest of the world have to censor themselves because some people take things out of context or are "sensitive" to words. If someone uses a word maliciously that is probably wrong, but what about when it is not, as is the case with your signature.

    As for the Linderella issue, I was merely pointing out that people were not aware or "sensitive" to how offensive some people consider the story of Cinderella. My point was proven because you had no idea that some people thought it was offensive.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  9. #109
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,674

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?




    ................................

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  10. #110
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,202

    Re: Racist, or just a joke?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    They have the right to fire him for whatever they like.

    I find SB's reasoning as to why this probably wasn't a coincidence fairly convincing. I don't think it was. I think the guy is just an idiot.

    While I am not personally very offended by this, and I don't think the guy is a racist, that was an incredibly poor judgment call on the part of the writer. Just jaw-droppingly stupid. Firing someone for jaw-dropping stupidity is understandable.
    Well clearly they can fire whoever they want to.

    "Chink in the armor," though is a fairly common phrase. The other meaning of "chink" being a racial slur is unfortunate, but I don't believe for a second that he actually meant it, or even thought of that for a second. I had to think about it for awhile before I could see what would be offensive about it. I'd be more apt to blame the editor. Somebody should have read that over and said, "Dude, chink? Can you maybe think of something better?"


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •