View Poll Results: Would you vote for an atheist president with your views?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would, his beliefs shouldn't matter

    64 90.14%
  • No, he needs to believe in God, even if he agrees with me

    7 9.86%
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 300

Thread: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

  1. #81
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    U.S.
    Last Seen
    06-17-12 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    415

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The Constitution pre-supposed that rights exist, and the Decleration of Independance says they come from God. Our founders agreed that there was a God and that this is where our rights come from, so if you don't believe in God then you therefore can't logicaly believe in any rights God has given, because you can't receave anything from anyone who doesn't exist.

    ***
    It's *the* social contract, not *my* social contract; I didn't write it and it doesn't only apply to me.
    Receiving rights should not be equated with possessing rights.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    I am sure that circular reasoning makes complete sense to you. But tell me then why the effort to create a secular state by the framers of the Constitution?
    Myth: The Founders intended a secular, not Christian, nation.

    Fact: Even after ratifying the Constitution, fully half the state governments endorsed specific Chris*tian denominations. And just a day after approving the First Amendment, forbidding the establishment of religion, Congress called for a national day of public thanksgiving and prayer to acknowledge the many signal favors of Almighty God.

    RandomHouse.ca | Books | The 10 Big Lies About America by Michael Medved
    They created a separation of church and state, not a secular state.

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    The irony is that you are saying that I am immoral because I am an Atheist.
    I made no statement about you, Mr. Insecure. We're talking about a hypothetical atheist POTUS candidate who toady is as mythical as you claim God is.

  3. #83
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    U.S.
    Last Seen
    06-17-12 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    415

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    They created a separation of church and state, not a secular state.
    Depends on the definition of secular.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    Receiving rights should not be equated with possessing rights.
    If someone gives you something, you have it.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    Depends on the definition of secular.
    Please let me help you with that: Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online

  6. #86
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    U.S.
    Last Seen
    06-17-12 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    415

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If someone gives you something, you have it.
    Who says that these rights must be given by a spiritual deity of some sort?

  7. #87
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    See, I was expecting this.

    If by "excepting the religious parts of social conservatism", you mean you would also include within that nods to the positive effects of religion in society and so forth, then no, I would not vote for an atheist.

    I would, however, vote for an atheist that included enough nods to social conservatism that also included religious conservatism.

    I am not a religious person myself, but I seem to be on the opposite side of the fence with the more agnostic and atheistic voters, simply because I am a religious utilitarian.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 02-20-12 at 01:24 AM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    Who says that these rights must be given by a spiritual deity of some sort?
    I don't know that they have to be, only that according to the founders of this country, they were.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    See, I was expecting this.

    If by "excepting the religious parts of social conservatism", you mean you would also include within that nods to the positive effects of religion in society and so forth, then no, I would not vote for an atheist.

    I would, however, vote for an atheist that included enough nods to social conservatism that also included religious conservatism.

    I am not a religious person myself, but I seem to be on the opposite side of the fence with the more agnostic and atheistic voters, simply because I am a religious utilitarian.
    Religious utiliterian...interesting, quite functionalist.

  10. #90
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Keep Your Dogma Out of Politics. That should be the damn motto! I don't care if you are a Christain, Atheist, Pagan or are bowing down to a Noodle! Leave the religion where it belongs: in private and fix this Country.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •