View Poll Results: Would you vote for an atheist president with your views?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would, his beliefs shouldn't matter

    64 90.14%
  • No, he needs to believe in God, even if he agrees with me

    7 9.86%
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 300

Thread: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

  1. #281
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    How can "Christian values" and the bible be a stretch? Seriously just a few posts a go you said: "Christian values are good." If those values did not come from the bible, where did they come from?
    From God Almighty.

    Where is this going?

  2. #282
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    From God Almighty.

    Where is this going?
    Im just trying to figure out what part of the bible has Christian values in it.

  3. #283
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Im just trying to figure out what part of the bible has Christian values in it.
    The New Testament. The Old Testament was Judaic law of the time.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Im just trying to figure out what part of the bible has Christian values in it.
    I respectfully disagree with Lizzie there.

    Christians should be essentially Jews who believe in the divinity and message of Jesus Christ. Thus, every word of the Old Testament has a high degree of importance.

    Christian values could be described as an amalgamation of church tradition, the gospel of Christ, and the law of Moses.

  5. #285
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    The New Testament. The Old Testament was Judaic law of the time.
    Ok I knew someone would point out the new testament. But does that imply that the entire new testament is good also?

  6. #286
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I respectfully disagree with Lizzie there.

    Christians should be essentially Jews who believe in the divinity and message of Jesus Christ. Thus, every word of the Old Testament has a high degree of importance.

    Christian values could be described as an amalgamation of church tradition, the gospel of Christ, and the law of Moses.
    Church tradition? And you even mention Moses in the same sentence. Church tradition is a form of worshiping false idols.

  7. #287
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Church tradition? And you even mention Moses in the same sentence. Church tradition is a form of worshiping false idols.
    In no way is it a form of worshiping false idols. I don't know where you get these misinformed ideas.

    Church tradition is our way of interpreting the words of the Bible; much of which was divinely inspired, but penned by human beings.

  8. #288
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    In no way is it a form of worshiping false idols. I don't know where you get these misinformed ideas.

    Church tradition is our way of interpreting the words of the Bible; much of which was divinely inspired, but penned by human beings.
    In other words fallacious heresy.

  9. #289
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    In other words fallacious heresy.
    Well, since Google defines heresy as "Belief or opinion contrary to orthodox religious (esp. Christian) doctrine," I'd say that's evidently false.

  10. #290
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Well, since Google defines heresy as "Belief or opinion contrary to orthodox religious (esp. Christian) doctrine," I'd say that's evidently false.
    Heresy | Define Heresy at Dictionary.com
    1. opinion or doctrine at variance with the orthodox or accepted doctrine, especially of a church or religious system.
    2. the maintaining of such an opinion or doctrine.
    3. Roman Catholic Church . the willful and persistent rejection of any article of faith by a baptized member of the church.
    4. any belief or theory that is strongly at variance with established beliefs, customs, etc.

    At any rate my intent was to convey the out of bible context that church's assert to control their followers. Which is relevant since the Christian Right is trying to use the Christian Faith to control Americans. By you asserting that there is an out of bible bases that dictates morals indicates that those Christian morals that you are talking about came from humans not gods.

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •