View Poll Results: Would you vote for an atheist president with your views?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would, his beliefs shouldn't matter

    64 90.14%
  • No, he needs to believe in God, even if he agrees with me

    7 9.86%
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 300

Thread: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

  1. #221
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    So people who tend to be more informed prefer atheist candidates?
    I think that more intelligent and informed people are less likely to vote on bias and more likely to vote on platform.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think that more intelligent and informed people are less likely to vote on bias and more likely to vote on platform.
    Why do you call a vote based on religion "bias," and a vote based on political bias "platform?"

  3. #223
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    TPD, you'll have to forgive me. But would you please copy and paste anything that I've directly, or indirectly said about Kal'Stang's comments in this thread. I can't seem to find it.

    Thank you...
    Meh, I got you mixed up with FreedomForAll. In either case, my comments direct responses to his criticisms of Kal'Stang's comments. So again, 1) I think it's wrong to say that Kal'Stang is merely projecting his own biases when he pointed out the intolerance of many atheists [because intolerant atheists are quite common in my experience]. 2) It's not just religious bigotry that makes theists not want an atheist president, it's also the fact the public face of atheism is intolerant of theism in one way or another. (#2 is a more general point not necessarily directed at you.)

  4. #224
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Squeaky wheel get's the grease as they say. The media is going to cover the most obnoxious of the folk, which is why you'll see some distortion of statistics. The end all be all is that if atheism ever had some outward mark so that people could tell who was an atheist; we'd be the most discriminated block of people. Thankfully we ain't got to run around with big red "A"s on our shirts.
    That's true and it's also true for religious people which is why I said earlier that it's also understandable that atheists wouldn't would religious people in office. I just think Freedom's implication that people don't have fair reason to think an atheist president might be intolerant of their religion is ridiculous.

  5. #225
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    Yeah it is weird like that.. the intolerant ones make all the fuss and the noise and get all the attention, while the tolerant say little as a result of their tolerance and such go under the radar.

    It is easy to see why people think that the majority of atheists are intolerant, while the reality is it is the outspoken minority.
    I agree.

    And yes, for the most part atheists cannot comprehend or relate to your beliefs, this is why they are atheists.
    I never understand this assertion. I am a theist and it's incredibly easy for me to comprehend and relate to the atheist position. I don't see why an atheist can't do the same.

  6. #226
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    I re-read your post where you described your observations. I had responded that my observations have been different. I think they are different because a higher proportion of atheists hide they views compared to most Christians, therefore your not counting them at all. I still think that was related to your post, so please try again to have me understand.
    This explanation of my post is related, but when you said the stuff about atheists having to hide, I read it as you asserting that atheists are discriminated against by intolerant religious people. I didn't think that interpretation of your comment was related to my post since I had said earlier that there are intolerant religious people and it's understandable for atheists to have problems with the religious.

    In any case, I might not have a good sense of proportion and of course, the loudest, most intolerant people are going to get the most airtime. However, I went to college with a lot of atheists, I can safely say that the majority of those who were tolerant on the surface sometimes let some pretty intolerant things slip out once in a while. Moreover, this board has been filled with a lot of intolerance as well. Even so, as I said in my first post in the thread, I would vote for an atheist although I would prefer a theist like me. I just think the idea that theists don't have valid reason to be skeptical of an atheist candidate is ludicrous.

  7. #227
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Personally I prefer a president who shares in the Christian faith, however the Constitution says that no religious test is allowed. Now that applies to the qualifications applied by government, and I wonder if it is fair that I apply such a test. I'm slight conflicted about this though I tend toward choosing someone of faith.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #228
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,063

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    1. I don't think I've ever even used the word "extremists" in this thread. That is Strike 1 for you since you put words in my mouth.
    Not my fault that you cannot follow the coversation.

    2. I never said all atheists were like that. In fact, I said,
    Yes ok whatever you say sparky.


    That is Strike 2 for you since you didn't read and Strike 3 since you put words in my mouth again.
    You should have added a foul in the middle it would have been better reading.

    3. I made it very clear that I was speaking solely from my experience. I purposely emphasized this by saying in each post phrases like "in my experience" and "I think". That's Strike 4 for not reading.
    Strike 4? Are you American?

    4. You say that that I "believe any criticism of religion is considered attacking". However, in my post, I criticize religious bigotry so no dice there either. That is Strike 5 for not reading, stereotyping and just plain not making any sense.
    Seriously strike 5? See you needed some fouls then you could have said that you fouled me out at least. lol

    5. If you are an atheist, you just proved my point with your "obviously like most theists..." comment. Strike 6 for proving the point that you claimed "lacks reality."
    Lol but you just said that your point was only your individual opinion.


    In conclusion, you didn't actually respond to anything I wrote. You put words in my mouth, didn't actually read my post, accused me of doing things I didn't do and stereotyped theists thereby proving my point. Let's see if you now go back, read my comment and respond to what was actually said instead of contributing this Epic Fail of post that you just wrote in this thread.
    Now see had you stuck with the baseball theme you could have wrote a neat witty conclusion. Except of course it would have been just as delusional as the one you actually wrote. I like when you tried to accuse me of a strawman then turned around and wrote your own strawman that was classic.

    Admittedly you asserted that your opinion is bigoted. Cool beans thanx for the support. Here is my point now: A secular government is the only possible way for liberty to stay intact. When theists go all ballistic and start asserting that only religious people can be moral, well that my friend is a strike against liberty. And right now we are two down on the last inning and our worst batters are up next.

  9. #229
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Not my fault that you cannot follow the conversation.
    Uh...what? You accused ME of saying multiple things that I did not which means that YOU did not follow the conversation. That pretty much sums up the rest of your post and I'm not about to get into in a pissing contest over some illiterate nonsense.

  10. #230
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,063

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Uh...what? You accused ME of saying multiple things that I did not which means that YOU did not follow the conversation. That pretty much sums up the rest of your post and I'm not about to get into in a pissing contest over some illiterate nonsense.
    Yea ok, anyways..

    A secular government is the only possible way for liberty to stay intact. When theists go all ballistic and start asserting that only religious people can be moral, well that my friend is a strike against liberty. And right now we are two down on the last inning and our worst batters are up next.

    The Republican party is trying to turn politics into who is the best religious leader wins. There are no Atheists running for President. Zero zilch as in none. Us Atheists are not wanting to turn this country into an Atheist utopia. There is no political might that is Atheist in America. So the issue is not what Atheists are doing to this country, it is what the Religious Right is doing to this country. Preaching that a section of society is immoral sounds familiar.

    Here is the reality that you are missing: Christians assert that they are the moral leaders of the world. Christians single out Atheists (because of the writings in the bible) as immoral subhuman scabs on society. It is obvious even from your own opinions that Christians intend to banish Atheists from the Government and ultimately from society. Hence the need to try to convert all of us Atheists. Christians promote conflict by insisting that Atheists cannot be moral without god. Is not bigotry a sin?

    Electoral Colleges make a lot of since when people start making silly decisions like asserting that certain groups are more moral than others.

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •