View Poll Results: Would you vote for an atheist president with your views?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would, his beliefs shouldn't matter

    64 90.14%
  • No, he needs to believe in God, even if he agrees with me

    7 9.86%
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 300

Thread: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    People use all sorts of things to inform their political policies. Liberals and conservatives both, in a sense, try to "force" their policies onto others who are unwilling. For example, liberals concerned about climate change want to use the force of law to make people conform to what they believe. How is religion any different than that?
    Because you can at least try to argue logically against their positions, with religion you can't.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #12
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Because you can at least try to argue logically against their positions, with religion you can't.
    Any belief can be taken to a fanatical extreme. By the same token, there are religious beliefs that can be quite moderate. In fact, Obama has used the religious argument to support his position on social programs.
    Last edited by X Factor; 02-18-12 at 08:53 PM.

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    I don't care if their an atheist, but it would be hard for me to vote for someone that opposes all of my social views. From my perspective the question is asking "would you vote for someone that shares all beliefs with you accept your social views?"
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Any belief can be taken to a fanatical extreme. By the same token, there are religious beliefs that can be quite moderate.
    I'm not talking about extremism, I'm saying that a religious belief when argued can always fall back on, well it's my faith, it's my belief, and nothing you say can change that. While with any other belief, or position, you can't do that.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #15
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I'm not talking about extremism, I'm saying that a religious belief when argued can always fall back on, well it's my faith, it's my belief, and nothing you say can change that. While with any other belief, or position, you can't do that.
    Sure you can. People do it all the time, and religious people are quite capable of changing their minds about things, while maitaining their religious beliefs. Sorry YourStar. You've chosen a whisper thin argument to hang your anti-religion (in politics) hat on.

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Sure you can. People do it all the time, and religious people are quite capable of changing their minds about things, while maitaining their religious beliefs. Sorry YourStar. You've chosen a whisper thin argument to hang your anti-religion (in politics) hat on.
    Let me clarify, they can do that, but they wont be taken seriously anymore, and you can point to that, while if you try to do that to a person using religion as their argument, you get called a bigot.

    For example trying to argue with a Muslim that pork and alcohol are fine for your health in moderation and posting medical statistics, and expert testimony to that effect still wont convince them.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  7. #17
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    I wanted to see if religious people would vote for a president who shared all of his views on politics (excepting the religious points of social conservatism) but didn't believe in God.

    Discuss

    I might, if he were the best of the available choices.

    OTOH if there were two candidates who were equally good, but one was atheist and the other was of my general religion (Christian), then I'd be inclined to vote for the candidate that was more like me... of course.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #18
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Let me clarify, they can do that, but they wont be taken seriously anymore, and you can point to that, while if you try to do that to a person using religion as their argument, you get called a bigot.

    For example trying to argue with a Muslim that pork and alcohol are fine for your health in moderation and posting medical statistics, and expert testimony to that effect still wont convince them.

    Ok, to sum up, you oppose religion in politics because some people might call you a bigot? Good grief, that's been happening to Obama's detractors since he's taken office.

  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Ok, to sum up, you oppose religion in politics because some people might call you a bigot? Good grief, that's been happening to Obama's detractors since he's taken office.
    No, I'm against religion in politics because you can't prove a religious belief, if you are going to make a law you need to prove that it will help, and that the problem is real.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #20
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Vote for an atheist president (for religious people)

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    I wanted to see if religious people would vote for a president who shared all of his views on politics (excepting the religious points of social conservatism) but didn't believe in God.

    Discuss
    If you mean a presidential candidate that believe all or mostly what I believe but just didn't believe in God then yes I would vote for him. If he is one of those pricks that mocks religious beliefs,has a problem with ten commandment monuments/plaques and Christmas plays, wants to change Christmas trees and parades to Holiday trees and parades,thinks crosses should be removed from war memorials and sorts of other fanatical atheists nonsense then no I would not vote for him.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •