View Poll Results: Can the Federal Government force a business to violate the owners religion?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 7.84%
  • No

    45 88.24%
  • Yes - but only if, like, it's, like, totally anachronistic, and stuff, like, cmon, man, stop whining

    2 3.92%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 165

Thread: Force Muslim Grocers to Carry Pork

  1. #11
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,174

    Re: Force Muslim Grocers to Carry Pork

    Another in the long line of "strawmen" from the right over the contraception kerfuffle. Next, it'll be "Should the government require Mormons who own a Starbucks franchise to serve espresso drinks?"

    Look, I disagree with Obama on this one too, but really...

    The more appropriate question in the regulation is "Should Muslim grocers be stopped from firing people who eat pork?" Some people who work for a Catholic hospital, may in the course of their sex lives choose to use contraception. Personal liberty, you know, something the right is supposedly all about.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Force Muslim Grocers to Carry Pork

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Another in the long line of "strawmen" from the right over the contraception kerfuffle. Next, it'll be "Should the government require Mormons who own a Starbucks franchise to serve espresso drinks?"

    Look, I disagree with Obama on this one too, but really...

    The more appropriate question in the regulation is "Should Muslim grocers be stopped from firing people who eat pork?" Some people who work for a Catholic hospital, may in the course of their sex lives choose to use contraception. Personal liberty, you know, something the right is supposedly all about.
    no, a better question is this: should a Muslim be allowed to deduct from his workers' salary, all the money used to pay for hospital bills dealing with alchohol poisoning?

    should a Jew be able to deduct from his worker's salary, the money paid to a doctor used to treat someone suffering from food poisoing relating to eating pork?

  3. #13
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Force Muslim Grocers to Carry Pork

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    That is a huge what if, I'd be curious to know how many people are in this kind of situation right now. Seriously how many people do you think are: In any area with only one food store in reasonable traveling distance, the store is owned by a Muslim, the store refuses to sell pork, you can't afford beef or chicken, you are allergic to seafood, and you need pork for a healthy diet? I doubt anyone in this country has a problem that freakin specific, so why don't we think "should we make this law" or "do the people we are making this law for even exist" before we start advocating its creation.
    I live in a small town with only one grocery store. Now I'm lucky enough to be able to drive to a more urban area where I have more choices. But the town I live in is so poor that not everybody else does. A lot of people can't afford the gas to get to that urban area. So they are forced to buy from whatever that one store carries.

    And food prices are, indeed, going to rise higher. There are a number of reasons for this. One is the increase in fuel prices that goes into the tractors used to cultivate and harvest food. Another is the global increase in the middle class wanting more protein in their diet, especially meat. This is especially the case in China.

    So it's not that unrealistic of a scenario.

    In fact, the most unrealistic aspect of it is that a Muslim store owner would refuse to sell pork to his customers who choose to buy it. Most businessmen want to earn a profit, not impose their own religious restrictions on others.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Force Muslim Grocers to Carry Pork

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Well it depends.

    It could be that I have a lot of opportunities with regards to store selection so I can just merely go to another store and buy pork if I need to.

    But if I live in an isolated area in which I don't have much opportunity of store selection and the only convenient store is owned by a Muslim who refuses to sell pork even when beef and chicken prices has risen so high I can't afford to buy them and I'm allergic to seafood, then I don't see why my health should suffer because of someone else's religious views are limiting my choice.

    And, if that's the case, I'm sure as hell going to vote to get rid of that limitation some how.
    I think at this point, you go vegan.

  5. #15
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Force Muslim Grocers to Carry Pork

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Essentially this, like birth control, in cases where serious quality of life concerns are affected, accommodations should be made.

    The difference being that birth control is almost always a quality of life issue while pork rarely is.
    That's because people have a ton of options when it comes to the kind of meat they eat.

    People are much more limited in the birth control options they can get.

    And then there's the issue of people using birth control for reasons other than birth control to deal with other medical issues.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,081

    Re: Force Muslim Grocers to Carry Pork

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    No, but i don't think a muslim owner would do that. Many of them sell alcohol and its also harem. It's all about the money. IF the owner thinks he can make money selling something that violates his religion he will do that.
    god advises people to avoid taking alcohol in qoran but doesnt punish them for drinking it, but pork is damned ,maybe because of this conditioning muslims usually dont eat pork even if they drink alcohol..

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Force Muslim Grocers to Carry Pork

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    No, but i don't think a muslim owner would do that. Many of them sell alcohol and its also harem. It's all about the money. IF the owner thinks he can make money selling something that violates his religion he will do that.
    Can I ask HTF you happen to know the religion of your store owner?

    Even if you could somehow prove they are Muslims, this is still a personal, business decision they get to make without the government's help (except for the liquor license part).

    Whole Foods has decided to start selling genetically modified food....should the government step in there too?

  8. #18
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,174

    Re: Force Muslim Grocers to Carry Pork

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    That is a huge what if, I'd be curious to know how many people are in this kind of situation right now. Seriously how many people do you think are: In any area with only one food store in reasonable traveling distance, the store is owned by a Muslim, the store refuses to sell pork, you can't afford beef or chicken, you are allergic to seafood, and you need pork for a healthy diet? I doubt anyone in this country has a problem that freakin specific, so why don't we think "should we make this law" or "do the people we are making this law for even exist" before we start advocating its creation.
    In rural Minnesota, there is a surprisingly high number of Somalis. I can imagine a day when one of them buys the grocery store, as in a lot of these towns there is only one. If/when they do, if they stop selling pork, the right will be all over it with screams of "sharia law!"

    In fact, they already were all over a similar thing:



    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Force Muslim Grocers to Carry Pork

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Can I ask HTF you happen to know the religion of your store owner?

    Even if you could somehow prove they are Muslims, this is still a personal, business decision they get to make without the government's help (except for the liquor license part).

    Whole Foods has decided to start selling genetically modified food....should the government step in there too?

    This is really no different than walking into your local Kroger and demanding that they carry some obscure brand that you like..

    The grocery business is all about shelf space.

  10. #20
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Force Muslim Grocers to Carry Pork

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    This is really no different than walking into your local Kroger and demanding that they carry some obscure brand that you like..

    The grocery business is all about shelf space.
    No.

    The issue in the OP isn't the Muslim grocer choosing not to carry a certain brand of pork. It's that they refuse to carry an entire item.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •