View Poll Results: A Santorum Nomination Guarantees an Obama Re-election

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it does

    24 55.81%
  • No, it doesn't

    17 39.53%
  • Who's Santorum?

    2 4.65%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 68

Thread: Santorum Nomination Guarantees an Obama Re-election

  1. #51
    Professor
    00timh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    upstate NY
    Last Seen
    01-24-14 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,318

    Re: Santorum Nomination Guarantees an Obama Re-election

    I agree with those who feel that Romney may be Obama's easier choice than Santorum. Romney cannot run against Obama. He has to run parellel to him, and hope that people see Romney as a better choice for the Status Quo. Romney will not excite the base. Santorum will. The GOP is essentially throwing the same type of candidate at Obama with Romney as they did with McCain. The result was not a good one at all for the GOP. What makes them think that Romney is going to fare any better against Obama than McCain did? Romney is more charasmatic than McCAin, but not moreso than Obama. The contender is the one who has to knock off the guy at the top. Obama still has all the POTUS priviledges. Romney has to have a distinct difference from Obama and he only has his skin color. THAT wasn't enough for McCain either. I really do wonder that of the GOP establishment that they are looking at it as... hey, if we win, great, but no matter what we are not going to have any change in the status quo... and they want that to remain moreso than winning the election.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,564

    Re: Santorum Nomination Guarantees an Obama Re-election

    McCain was totally screwed simply because he ran immediately after Bush, on the same ticket as Bush.

    There was NO republican that could have won that election. None.

    Things are a bit different now.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,286

    Re: Santorum Nomination Guarantees an Obama Re-election

    Quote Originally Posted by 00timh View Post
    I agree with those who feel that Romney may be Obama's easier choice than Santorum. Romney cannot run against Obama. He has to run parellel to him, and hope that people see Romney as a better choice for the Status Quo. Romney will not excite the base. Santorum will. The GOP is essentially throwing the same type of candidate at Obama with Romney as they did with McCain. The result was not a good one at all for the GOP. What makes them think that Romney is going to fare any better against Obama than McCain did? Romney is more charasmatic than McCAin, but not moreso than Obama. The contender is the one who has to knock off the guy at the top. Obama still has all the POTUS priviledges. Romney has to have a distinct difference from Obama and he only has his skin color. THAT wasn't enough for McCain either. I really do wonder that of the GOP establishment that they are looking at it as... hey, if we win, great, but no matter what we are not going to have any change in the status quo... and they want that to remain moreso than winning the election.
    I agree. I dont think there is a significant enough difference between Obama and Romney for Romney to stand out. Plus he is just too easy to portray as the out of touch rich guy that Obama already plans to run against. I dont know that Santorum can beat Obama, but i am sure that Romney cant.

  4. #54
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Santorum Nomination Guarantees an Obama Re-election

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo View Post
    He's talking about govt policy's that would pay for contraceptives federally. Try again.
    The majority of people actually would rather have the government paying for contraceptives (for those who cannot afford it) than to have to pay for the babies that come from it or having an increase in abortions.

    Being against the health insurance mandate forcing religious employers to cover contraceptives and for the government providing free contraceptives are too very different things.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,286

    Re: Santorum Nomination Guarantees an Obama Re-election

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The majority of people actually would rather have the government paying for contraceptives (for those who cannot afford it) than to have to pay for the babies that come from it or having an increase in abortions.
    Your statement presupposes that it is the governments role to provide one way or another. people are responsible for their own actions. Stop financing poor choices and you just might get fewer of them.

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,401

    Re: Santorum Nomination Guarantees an Obama Re-election

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo View Post
    I think that something big and bad will happen in the Middle East, that it will hurt Obama's chances a lot. So no, I see it helping Santorum a big deal, because of his knowledge about the Middle East.
    You mean biblical knowledge, right? He knows the Israelites are going to return to Israel to be destroyed by God in the "end times". What a jerk he is.

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,401

    Re: Santorum Nomination Guarantees an Obama Re-election

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    McCain was totally screwed simply because he ran immediately after Bush, on the same ticket as Bush.

    There was NO republican that could have won that election. None.

    Things are a bit different now.
    Not really, the current GOP candidates are even more out of touch than McCain and alot of us will never forget the 8 years of hell that the last Republican gave us. Who wants another terror attack, another useless war or another economic meltdown? That is what the GOP reminds us of.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 02-15-12 at 03:24 PM.

  8. #58
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Santorum Nomination Guarantees an Obama Re-election

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Your statement presupposes that it is the governments role to provide one way or another. people are responsible for their own actions. Stop financing poor choices and you just might get fewer of them.
    The reality is that our society has decided that we need to take care of children of those who cannot afford to do so themselves by providing financial support to them. It isn't something that is likely to change to us not doing so in the near future. Therefore, the best way to reduce the cost of doing so is to reduce the amount of people that need such help. One very good way of doing this is by providing free or at least reduced cost contraceptives so that young women and teenaged girls who really can't afford to take care of themselves, for the most part, let alone a child, have a way to avoid getting pregnant that is within their budget.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #59
    Professor
    00timh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    upstate NY
    Last Seen
    01-24-14 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,318

    Re: Santorum Nomination Guarantees an Obama Re-election

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The reality is that our society has decided that we need to take care of children of those who cannot afford to do so themselves by providing financial support to them. It isn't something that is likely to change to us not doing so in the near future. Therefore, the best way to reduce the cost of doing so is to reduce the amount of people that need such help. One very good way of doing this is by providing free or at least reduced cost contraceptives so that young women and teenaged girls who really can't afford to take care of themselves, for the most part, let alone a child, have a way to avoid getting pregnant that is within their budget.
    A high majority of conservatives have no problem with the government assisting children in need. True need that is. What medicaid and welfare has become is not one in the same. A young couple in their early mid 20's having a child on med/low income and the child has special health needs from injury or a major illness/ medical condition, yeah, we are for assistance for this stuff.

    Socially this is not an issue for me but of a basic right for private business or institutions to not have to be told by the government what to do. The goverment does not have the right to do this. Obamacare tramples all over the constitution and it is losing numerous court battles. The law ordering contraception coverage is a part of that, and why the Obama administration thinks it is being clever to "make a compromise" on this but in reality they know it is a legal issue and are trying to do an end around on this.

  10. #60
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Santorum Nomination Guarantees an Obama Re-election

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I think Santorum is more likely to beat Obama than Romney is. Obama biggest weakness is Obamacare, and Romney has no rational argument against it. Plus, the idea that Romney is a stronger general election candidate than Santorum is nonsense. No one is excited over the prospects of a Romney presidency. No one.

    The only ones eager to see Romney as the nominee is Obama and Obama fans who see Romney as everything they want to run against. Santorum will give Obama fits. Although I give Obama the edge, anyone who thinks the race is over if Santorum wins will be in for a big disappointment.
    I love how everyone saying that liberals want Romney to get the nomination are not liberals. Don't kid yourself....we are praying for the GOP to nominate Santorum or gingrich.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •