View Poll Results: Do you support a World Government?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 19.77%
  • No

    69 80.23%
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 174

Thread: Do you support a world government?

  1. #141
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Do you support a world government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post

    Right, so the League of Nations managed to prevent WWII? Has the UN, a massive failure, prevent the Cold War, the Middle East mess, the African wars, or any wars?
    Neither the League of Nations nor the UN can possibly be considered a genuine description of a world republic.
    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

  2. #142
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,541

    Re: Do you support a world government?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    IMO, they should, if they were living in the 21st century; but "they" are not....Its closer to the stone age...for Russia, China, it may be the 1800s....and this, we must respect...hard as it is to do.
    Ah, so beause the US is so advanced, all the countries must bow to it in terms of human rights? Give me a break. Why should the rest of the world have the right to bear arms for example? (Not that I'm anti-gun)
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  3. #143
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,541

    Re: Do you support a world government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Neither the League of Nations nor the UN can possibly be considered a genuine description of a world republic.
    They're imitations and failures at trying to preserve world peace, which is surely the aim of the "world republic"
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  4. #144
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Do you support a world government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    They're imitations and failures at trying to preserve world peace, which is surely the aim of the "world republic"
    Having a United Nations probably made things better in the 20th century than not having one. It can't preserve world peace because it doesn't have the authority or power to govern or punish.

    Some sort of "world government" might form if humanity ever gets serious about space travel and exploration, although a NATO type of thing is likelier to develop.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 02-13-12 at 03:55 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Do you support a world government?

    One world government would be a nightmare, both in theory and especially in practice.

    1. One world government is not necessary. International treaties can deal with issues that benefits everyone, as long as everyone does it. What treaties can't do, is when some country disagree, so they have to force them. For instance Mexicans may not like the gun smuggling from America, and petition the world government to ban guns everywhere.

    2. World government will not be properly democratic. In elections each country will vote for different parties, probably the same they vote for in national elections. They will do that, because people speak different languages, and still feel proud of their country. Problem is, what their party support in national elections, may not be the same as in global elections. It's the same problem as in the EU, but just worse. Remember, Obama signs resolutions in the UN that he would never dare to support nationally. People who lead the countries are quite distanced from the average person. The people who will lead the world government will be much worse.

    3. World government will be oppressive. All government wants more power. Just look at the EU, look at the US federal government. Hardly ever, do governments accept limited power. They will be petitioned by countries to have some kind of global welfare program, and if it exists, to increase it. Also, companies will be interested to carve out special deals, and in return they will get donations for their election. In the US it is already bad, in the world it will be much worse.

    4. It will be almost impossible to leave. You are supposed to be allowed to leave the EU, but in reality you are not. You have politicians who are afraid to lose potential jobs and who have little connection to their own people, and threats to be punished for leaving.

    5. Also, I don't see why. Why is it anyone's business if America bans guns or not. Why is anyone's business what kind of health care the government provide for their citizens or what kind of immigration rules. If we have world rules, then we live in a prison. And it is going to feel like a prison, because it is going to feel like we are getting rules imposed on us, but have no influence what so ever.

    In fact, if a world government was created, I would be willing to give my life to fight against it.

  6. #146
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support a world government?

    A one world government would work, if anyone read that short excerpt; I'll sum it up. Bassiccly we need to stop viewing other nations AS nations and start viewing them as other states. This way we would, as states, not allow tyrants like Kim Jung Il to exist. The reason we allow this to exist is because China is profiting off of it. This would also not be allowed in our state-to-state commerce. I think it has to be accepted as a idea or else it will be to late. Unfortunately with the way things are going in the middle east and, especially, the development of nuclear weapons in Iran, I fear we will not be able to make it to where we view everyone as a neighbor. Also, he throws in that this is all religious backed, IE the Muslims don't want us to be viewed as brothers and sisters and nor do some Christians want to view them as brothers and sisters, rather, they view them as some ultimate goal that they need to convert (Remember, this wasn't ALL Christians or ALL Muslims, just some and I won't speculate on whether it is a large sum or not).
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  7. #147
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,541

    Re: Do you support a world government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    A one world government would work, if anyone read that short excerpt; I'll sum it up. Bassiccly we need to stop viewing other nations AS nations and start viewing them as other states. This way we would, as states, not allow tyrants like Kim Jung Il to exist. The reason we allow this to exist is because China is profiting off of it. This would also not be allowed in our state-to-state commerce. I think it has to be accepted as a idea or else it will be to late. Unfortunately with the way things are going in the middle east and, especially, the development of nuclear weapons in Iran, I fear we will not be able to make it to where we view everyone as a neighbor. Also, he throws in that this is all religious backed, IE the Muslims don't want us to be viewed as brothers and sisters and nor do some Christians want to view them as brothers and sisters, rather, they view them as some ultimate goal that they need to convert (Remember, this wasn't ALL Christians or ALL Muslims, just some and I won't speculate on whether it is a large sum or not).
    Wait, so your solution is to replace the word "nations" with "states"?
    Good heaven, the solution to saving the world was as simple as this
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  8. #148
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support a world government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    Wait, so your solution is to replace the word "nations" with "states"?
    Good heaven, the solution to saving the world was as simple as this
    Yes, that is 100% correct. I suggested that we only have to replace "The Nation of Iran" with "The State of Iran". No, I said we have to stop THINKING of them as outsiders and impostors that way the world wouldn't allow them to exist. This sort of applies to if you TRULY believe that we are brothers and sisters, are you more or less inclined to react violently for say kissing your girlfriend? The problem is, among a lot of other things, is most people in a political position aren't in it for the right reason. They are in it for me instead of for us.
    Last edited by Jryan; 02-14-12 at 09:37 AM.
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Do you support a world government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    A one world government would work, if anyone read that short excerpt; I'll sum it up. Bassiccly we need to stop viewing other nations AS nations and start viewing them as other states. This way we would, as states, not allow tyrants like Kim Jung Il to exist. The reason we allow this to exist is because China is profiting off of it. This would also not be allowed in our state-to-state commerce.
    The only way China could possibly benefit from North Korea is politically, that China looks good compared to North Korea. How is that going to change? Are you planning to attack North Korea and kill millions of Koreans and in the process destroy Seoul? We can do that today as well, you know?

    How would it help that people view nations as states. All the problems I have listed above, will still be there. And secondly, people are not going to view their nations as states. Why should we?

    You did the trick of finding benefits that conservatives care about. Tell us your real reason for wanting a world government. Is it to force the US to implement measures, you are not able to get through democratically? Do you believe handouts to poor countries will really solve world's problems? Do you think corporations power will be limited by measures from a world government, when in fact companies will be much more interested and able to donate to a world government.
    Last edited by Camlon; 02-14-12 at 09:48 AM.

  10. #150
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support a world government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    The only way China could possibly benefit from North Korea is politically, that China looks good compared to North Korea. How is that going to change? Are you planning to attack North Korea and kill millions of Koreans and in the process destroy Seoul? We can do that today as well, you know?

    How would it help that people view nations as states. All the problems I have listed above, will still be there. And secondly, people are not going to view their nations as states. Why should we?

    You did the trick of finding benefits that conservatives care about. Tell us your real reason for wanting a world government. Is it to force the US to implement measures, you are not able to get through democratically? Do you believe handouts to poor countries will really solve world's problems? Do you think corporations power will be limited by measures from a world government, when in fact companies will be much more interested and able to donate to a world government.
    You are addressing talking points here, which I guess I don't have a problem with. Obviously I'm not going to convince you to change that political lean to liberal so we can help other countries. I think that conservatives original ideology came from very archaic principles. Their philosophy came from when, for instance, we were cave men or women and survival meant taking care of your family and if you helped another person it would put your family in jeopardy. The liberal way of thinking is a progressive way of thinking, or a more evolved way of thinking because we now can produce enough goods due to efficiency in machinery/advances in technology to feed everyone on this planet, yet there are still people on this planet who are starving. Why is this? Is it really american's own glutany that has rooted beneath our culture to not allow us to think of others? Is it these archaic thoughts that dwindle beneath us? I think it is and, unfortunately, is another thing in our path to stopping all evil and achieving world peace.
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •