View Poll Results: Who's been the best President of the last 32 years?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ronald Reagan

    17 39.53%
  • George HW Bush

    0 0%
  • Bill Clinton

    21 48.84%
  • George W Bush

    1 2.33%
  • Barack Obama

    2 4.65%
  • They all Suck

    2 4.65%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Who's the best President of the last 32 years?

  1. #11
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,657

    Re: Who's the best President of the last 32 years?

    I was gonna vote "They All Suck" but clicked on Clinton instead. But the cigar thing was a bit much.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  2. #12
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,140

    Re: Who's the best President of the last 32 years?

    I went with Clinton. The tipping point for me was putting "Monicagate" up against Iran Contra. "Monicagate" was a personal indiscretion. Iran Contra involved arming a sworn enemy of our country, which walks right up to the line of being treasonous if it doesn't actually cross it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #13
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Who's the best President of the last 32 years?

    when it comes to Supreme COurt appointments-the most lasting legacy of a president- W was obviously the best. Reagan Had Scalia-very good but arrogant. O'Connor who was a politician not a legal intellect, Kennedy-an average Justice at Best. Bush One was handcuffed by the Dems in senate picked Stealth Candidate Souter-a brilliant Judge but whose apparent homosexuality caused him to start a jihad against the "Christian Right" and Clarence Thomas who Mitchell essentially demanded Bush to pick to fill "The black seat" of Thurgood Marshall.
    Clinton's picks were people with decent credentials and reliably statist left wing votes. RBG was actually more qualified to be the "first lady" justice than O'Connor. Justice Alito and CJ Roberts were major league heavyweight jurists. Roberts was arguably the best legal mind available and Alito had a resume that was second to none when it came to experience and academic credentials. Sotomayor was a quota pick though her credentials were fairly strong but no one saw her as one of the Appellate stars like Scalia,Roberts and Alito had been. If she was a white male she never would have been picked. Kagan was pretty much a joke-no real relevant experience and was not seen as a leading constitutional superstar. If Obama really wanted a Jewish Lesbian leftist he should have picked the brilliant Pamela Karlan but she is out of the closet and that might have caused problems. If he wanted the best available legal mind on the left, he should have picked Yale Sterling Professor of Constitutional Law Akhil Reed Amar

  4. #14
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Who's the best President of the last 32 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    when it comes to Supreme COurt appointments-the most lasting legacy of a president- W was obviously the best. Reagan Had Scalia-very good but arrogant. O'Connor who was a politician not a legal intellect, Kennedy-an average Justice at Best. Bush One was handcuffed by the Dems in senate picked Stealth Candidate Souter-a brilliant Judge but whose apparent homosexuality caused him to start a jihad against the "Christian Right" and Clarence Thomas who Mitchell essentially demanded Bush to pick to fill "The black seat" of Thurgood Marshall.
    Clinton's picks were people with decent credentials and reliably statist left wing votes. RBG was actually more qualified to be the "first lady" justice than O'Connor. Justice Alito and CJ Roberts were major league heavyweight jurists. Roberts was arguably the best legal mind available and Alito had a resume that was second to none when it came to experience and academic credentials. Sotomayor was a quota pick though her credentials were fairly strong but no one saw her as one of the Appellate stars like Scalia,Roberts and Alito had been. If she was a white male she never would have been picked. Kagan was pretty much a joke-no real relevant experience and was not seen as a leading constitutional superstar. If Obama really wanted a Jewish Lesbian leftist he should have picked the brilliant Pamela Karlan but she is out of the closet and that might have caused problems. If he wanted the best available legal mind on the left, he should have picked Yale Sterling Professor of Constitutional Law Akhil Reed Amar
    Obama should have appointed Gloria Allred. Sorry, couldn't help it lol.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  5. #15
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Who's the best President of the last 32 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Obama should have appointed Gloria Allred. Sorry, couldn't help it lol.
    she probably wasn't left wing enough

  6. #16
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Who's the best President of the last 32 years?

    The question is. When are we going to stop putting so much importance on one man (or woman) being elected to one position in a three headed gov't? That's our issue. Many people have no idea who their Representative is in their own district! They don't know who their Senators are! Those are the people that hold the power. Those are the people we should be paying attention to so the Al Frankens of the world don't get elected.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,770

    Re: Who's the best President of the last 32 years?

    I do not think that any of them were any great shakes. Clinton would be the best of the lot but he has some serious baggage and signed some really bad legislation that still bites us in the ass today. The rest are just a really sorry lot.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #18
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Who's the best President of the last 32 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I do not think that any of them were any great shakes. Clinton would be the best of the lot but he has some serious baggage and signed some really bad legislation that still bites us in the ass today. The rest are just a really sorry lot.
    that being "welfare reform"?

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Who's the best President of the last 32 years?

    As I have previously stated, President Obama is a man before his time..IMO, as good as he is;the conservatives ignorance and fear have hurt him and our nation.
    So this leaves Mr Clinton.
    Of course, Mr Obama has another term coming up, the American people are smarter than I think they are.
    Looking back, ten years from now, the historians will be piling accolades on President Obama.

  10. #20
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Who's the best President of the last 32 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    As I have previously stated, President Obama is a man before his time..IMO, as good as he is;the conservatives ignorance and fear have hurt him and our nation.
    So this leaves Mr Clinton.
    Of course, Mr Obama has another term coming up, the American people are smarter than I think they are.
    Looking back, ten years from now, the historians will be piling accolades on President Obama.
    I hate to reign on your parade but there was, is, and never will be a "time" for Mr. Obama. The guy just doesn't know how to control spending and doesn't know how to focus on big issues with direct solutions. Case in point, his attempt at solving our dependence upon crude oil. I don't agree with the gov't subsidizing any business. But it seems to me that if I was a liberal who believed in that, I would have independent scientists do research on which green energy solution is the most likely to succeed, pinpoint competitive companies that can deliver that form of energy, and subsidize them. Instead, the guy throws money all over the place to Tesla, Solyndra, etc. A little money everywhere doesn't do anything but plug the dam until it is spent. Like I said, that's all if I was a liberal. If he was a sensible moderate, like Clinton was, he would have drawn up a bill that supported green energy solutions that crafted tax exemptions/rewards, advertising assistance (similar to what the gov't had done with agriculture), and gov't grants to get the fledgling companies off the ground. A true conservative, such as myself, would provide tax exemptions to encourage business's to start these companies. However, I would not dictate the market. I would allow the market to dictate when this happens. I would allow more offshore drilling and the Keystone Pipeline with the understanding that the individual companies that decide to undertake these operations are responsible for 25% of the the equipment and cleanup personnel in case of an incident, the immediate response team to the incident, and 100% of the cost of that same incident. If the 25% threshold isn't met or their reaction is too slow, they pay a fine for that as well.
    Obama is using economic policies that do not work. The model he is using has never brought us out of a recession or depression. And yes, that includes FDR and the New Deal. It can be argued either way with that but I am of the belief that WWII saved us from The Great Depression, not the New Deal. Anyway, the only thing the guy has done well in his tenure is the rounding up of a lot of Al Qaeda heavy hitters. Do you honestly believe that John McCain wouldn't have done the same? Sure he would have. So, what has Obama done that would have been any different than John McCain, who was one of the weakest candidates from the GOP in a loooooong time? I sincerely believe we would have been better off with Hillary Clinton than Obama and I don't like her in the least. But, at least she would lead and have an in house advisor who didn't do a horrible job when he was POTUS. We wouldn't have the class warfare and devisiveness we have right now in the legislature.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •