View Poll Results: Was Reagan a good president?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (explain)

    32 34.04%
  • No (explain)

    41 43.62%
  • So-so (explain)

    21 22.34%
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 188

Thread: Was Reagan a good president?

  1. #171
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,548

    Re: Was Reagan a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    No. No. No. No. No. No.

    Reagan was the start to the spending problem. Cut social spending, throwing thousands of people out on the streets. Lowered taxes, created debt so bad that he had to raise them later. Reaganomics. Cut school funding. Oh yea ketchup is a veggie right? Reagan’s streamlining of the income tax created the largest-ever shift of tax burden from the wealthy to the middle-class and working poor, resulting in expanding the income gap. Trading arms, money, and drugs with the Nicaraguan rebels. Chemical weapons to Saddam. "Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do". More appointed officials were indicted and convicted of crimes under Reagan than than any other president. Firing the air controllers and not even giving the union a chance to explain their grievances. Deregulation of the Department of transportation. Give tax breaks to Companies that got rid of health benefits and Pensions and opting in his 401k plan. Invaded Grenada... Do we need to go on?
    there shouldn't be any federal social spending

  2. #172
    Professor
    TheLastIndependent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-29-15 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Was Reagan a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the economy cannot get any worse, you didn't kill Osama, I didn't kill Osama and Obama sure didn't kill Osama. Some SEAL killed Osama. and we will see what happens in Iraq
    The economy was far more worse 3 years ago. We are actually beginning to see an improvement in the economy. Jobs are being created and not in the public sector. Private sector jobs have increased more in the past 20 something months than public sector jobs have.

    Are you saying that the killing of Osama was not a national event? That is a disgusting lack of patriotism. WE as a nation killed Osama under the order of Barack Obama. Just like WE ended World War II on the pacific front with the bombings in Japan under Truman. Nationalism is something that the conservatives say that Obama lacks then you go and strip one of the greatest strides in the war on terror from OUR country and hand it to what, 8 people? That is horrible.

    It's pretty obvious what's going to happen in Iraq. Soon civil war will either split the country, put one group in power, or bring the country together. It's inevitable. We should not try to stop the war from taking place. It is their country and they should have to deal with it. Will we let them? I'm not sure. But I can guarantee that if WE elect one of those republicans, then billions if not trillions more of OUR money will be spent on another war effort. That previous statement obviously excludes Ron Paul who has no hope of getting elected.

  3. #173
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,548

    Re: Was Reagan a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastIndependent View Post
    The economy was far more worse 3 years ago. We are actually beginning to see an improvement in the economy. Jobs are being created and not in the public sector. Private sector jobs have increased more in the past 20 something months than public sector jobs have.

    Are you saying that the killing of Osama was not a national event? That is a disgusting lack of patriotism. WE as a nation killed Osama under the order of Barack Obama. Just like WE ended World War II on the pacific front with the bombings in Japan under Truman. Nationalism is something that the conservatives say that Obama lacks then you go and strip one of the greatest strides in the war on terror from OUR country and hand it to what, 8 people? That is horrible.

    It's pretty obvious what's going to happen in Iraq. Soon civil war will either split the country, put one group in power, or bring the country together. It's inevitable. We should not try to stop the war from taking place. It is their country and they should have to deal with it. Will we let them? I'm not sure. But I can guarantee that if WE elect one of those republicans, then billions if not trillions more of OUR money will be spent on another war effort. That previous statement obviously excludes Ron Paul who has no hope of getting elected.
    someone who supports Obama and then whines at me for a lack of patriotism is a gut splitting joke

  4. #174
    Professor
    TheLastIndependent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-29-15 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Was Reagan a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    someone who supports Obama and then whines at me for a lack of patriotism is a gut splitting joke
    I'm sorry he doesn't run around in an American flag suit. But that doesn't mean that you can't show patriotism. He doesn't mandate no patriostism. This is America, be proud.

  5. #175
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Was Reagan a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    someone who supports Obama and then whines at me for a lack of patriotism is a gut splitting joke
    That does not even make sense.

    Only a blind rabid partisan would dare to say that all people who disagree with them about who should be president are not patriots. I voted for Barack Obama but by your standard John McCain himself should not be considered as a patriot in my eyes. Nor should any of his supporters be considered as a patriot by your standard. That sort of thing is over the top hyperbole.

    I have no doubt that there are people on both sides - both enthusiastic Democrats and enthusiastic Republicans who go so overboard that they put party above country and that is not good. Their patriotism could indeed be questioned. But to simply adopt a rule that somebody who supports Obama cannot question the patriotism of others is simply absurd.
    Last edited by haymarket; 02-11-12 at 08:34 AM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Was Reagan a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Their patriotism could indeed be questioned. But to simply adopt a rule that somebody who supports Obama cannot question the patriotism of others is simply absurd.
    He's right, Obama voters patriotism should not be questioned. On the other hand, their intellect is certainly fair game.

  7. #177
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Was Reagan a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    He's right, Obama voters patriotism should not be questioned. On the other hand, their intellect is certainly fair game.
    That is just as absurd.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #178
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,548

    Re: Was Reagan a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    He's right, Obama voters patriotism should not be questioned. On the other hand, their intellect is certainly fair game.
    especially those who will vote for him again

  9. #179
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Was Reagan a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastIndependent View Post
    I have watched Republican after Republican praise him for being a model of a great president. I will not disclose my personal views of Reagan at this time I am just curious of your views.
    So-so. As far as economic and foreign policy goes, quite a few of the things he did "wrong" were acceptable in their own time and could have been corrected later, but weren't. Much like Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid, at a certain point the people who inherit it also inherit responsibility to make it keep working.

    He's right, Obama voters patriotism should not be questioned. On the other hand, their intellect is certainly fair game.
    I'd ask you why, but I don't care and I doubt the answer will be enlightening. Obama has had less control over the events of his presidency than any president since Hoover. Like taking over for someone else's losing chess game, the moves you make are pretty irrelevant; unless an outside factor (in chess, the mistake of your opponent) radically alters the situation, you can at best delay your loss. In a sense, it doesn't matter whether Obama won or lost the election, because all the moves he has had to make (mediocre though most of them were in execution and results) were obvious given the obstacles he has encountered.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 02-13-12 at 03:36 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  10. #180
    Professor
    TheLastIndependent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-29-15 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Was Reagan a good president?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    especially those who will vote for him again
    Who do you propose we replace him with? It does no good to replace the president with someone who is even less competent for the job.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •