View Poll Results: Are Conservatives Pro-Life or Anti-Choice

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pro-Life

    18 51.43%
  • Anti-Choice

    17 48.57%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 78

Thread: Pro-Life vs Anti-Choice

  1. #21
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pro-Life vs Anti-Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Agreed. I detest the euphemisms in the abortion debate. IMO, they only serve to cloud the issue even further. For example, I am not aware of a single person who has ever had a medical procedure known specifically and technically as a "choice".

    The procedure and issue has a valid and perfectly acceptable name: abortion. If one wanted to be accurate, albeit wordy, about it, the two sides would be "pro legalized abortion" and "anti legalized abortion". Now, if we were all adults about it... hold on, I'm sorry, I have to do something... ... there, that's better... anyway, if we were all adults about it we could shorten those to "pro-abortion" and "anti-abortion", and know that they mean in the legal sense, with no down-the-rabbit-hole meaning beyond that. *sigh* Alas, those who like the euphemisms aren't interested in accuracy.



    Because some things just don't go away.
    Around the circle we go again... No pro-choicer is pro-abortion.

    I think it best to use the phrase each side MOST prefers. That is pro-life (though an arguable phrase) for those who oppose abortion and pro-choice for those who believe abortion is the woman's decision. Those who oppose abortion believe that is "pro-life" and those who believe it a woman's choice prefer "pro-choice."

    I am absolutely "pro-choice" and absolutely not "pro-abortion." EVERYONE knows what Pro-life and Pro-choice means and neither side is insulted by those. "Pro-abortion" is both a lie and insult.

    Nor do all Pro-lifers want abortion outlawed. Rather, they believe it is immoral but not a matter for government criminal laws. Outside of activists, I suspect much of the general public who are abstractly "pro-life" don't want women going to jail for it. In short, it really isn't just an issue of legalisms, but also morality. A person can be "anti-homosexuality," but that doesn't mean they want it made criminally illegal.
    Last edited by joko104; 02-02-12 at 03:15 AM.

  2. #22
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Pro-Life vs Anti-Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Teleco2 View Post
    I personal think it should be up to the mother. She's the one that has to go thru the pregnancy and actually give birth. Why would anyone else have the right to tell her what she should or shouldn't have to go thru in life. I know some of the choices that we've seen made are not pretty but as sick as it is they are the ones that have to live with their choices and suffer the consequences of their choices. I think we should work towards how it should be and deal with the sad cases as we have too.

    I think all the time and effort spent in debating and lobbying and stepping on individual rights should be spent on educating these girls and showing them what they cause ppls lives to be like when then make the different decisions. Give them something to do rather allow them to simply follow their desires. Should parents allow kids to eat and eat until they are so fat they can barely walk? No, the government has stopped parents from being parents and kids just follow their desires rather than learn a little before they hit life hard and end up in the gutter.
    Not one word about the guy that might be on the hook for child support for 18+ years.


    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Around the circle we go again... No pro-choicer is pro-abortion.

    I think it best to use the phrase each side MOST prefers. That is pro-life (though an arguable phrase) for those who oppose abortion and pro-choice for those who believe abortion is the woman's decision. Those who oppose abortion believe that is "pro-life" and those who believe it a woman's choice prefer "pro-choice."

    I am absolutely "pro-choice" and absolutely not "pro-abortion." EVERYONE knows what Pro-life and Pro-choice means and neither side is insulted by those. "Pro-abortion" is both a lie and insult.

    Nor do all Pro-lifers want abortion outlawed. Rather, they believe is is immoral but not a matter for government criminal laws. Outside of activists, I suspect much of the general public who are abstractly "pro-life" don't want women going to jail for it. In short, it really isn't just an issue of legalisms, but also morality.
    My point has been proven. That was quick. Thank you.

  3. #23
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Pro-Life vs Anti-Choice

    I do not know one person who is pro-abortion. Pro-Choice is just as it says: supporting women to have the right to choose. Just because you agree with having a choice does not mean you are wanting women to run down and get the blob sucked out-what it means is that if they want to free their body of it? They should be able to.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  4. #24
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    02-02-12 @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33

    Re: Pro-Life vs Anti-Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Not one word about the guy that might be on the hook for child support for 18+ years.



    My point has been proven. That was quick. Thank you.
    I disagree. Let me say first that, I do agree however with your point of mentioning the father. That is a topic that would have to be discussed as among many, many others once a compromise could be made on this point. Either way, I think by the time you get to trying to classify it in a pro-life, pro-choice or a pro-abortion thing you have already went too far and have to step back and realize you are completely trampling the civil or natural rights of a female. You are completely disregarding them in my opinion. If you are a Christian or religious person I thought God gave you the right to chose? Not others...
    Last edited by Teleco2; 02-02-12 at 04:20 AM.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Pro-Life vs Anti-Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbelt View Post
    Are conservatives anti-choice, or are we truly about preserving life? Which one is it? Let's get quibbling.
    It's a term that only applies to abortion, so, whatever floats your boat I guess.

    I don't support all life (very pro capital punishment) and I don't oppose all choices (I give a lot of options to the home owners), neither label applies broadly.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Pro-Life vs Anti-Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Neither. I think the issue boils down to one side being pro-abortion rights, the other side being anti-abortion rights. To put it another way, one side("pro-choice") believes abortion is a right and should be legal, the other side("pro-life") feels abortion should not be a right and should not be legal. Euphemisms aside, the division boils down to whether abortion should be legal.
    I like it. Very easy to clearly identify your view, and it reduces all the red-herrings.

    If you're "pro-choice", then you necessarily oppose Obama's single-payer health care plan and support private ownership of belt-fed machine guns. If you're "pro-abortion rights", then it's just that you support women having abortion available to them.

    If you're "pro-life" then you necessarily oppose capitol punishment and do not eat meat. If you're "anti-abortion rights" then you just want most/all abortion banned.
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-02-12 at 08:20 AM.

  7. #27
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pro-Life vs Anti-Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I agree with you're last statement, but the problem I have with calling it pro or anti abortion rights is it assumes that abortion is a right and the only issue is whether you're pro that right or not. Otherwise it would be just as correct to say it's "pro right to life" vs "anti right to life".
    That was actually why I added the last sentence, to clarify that those against legalized abortion don't believe it is a right. Legally however, in this country, until we amend the constitution or SCOTUS rules otherwise, abortion is a right.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Pro-Life vs Anti-Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Why do we need another abortion poll?
    To catch the irony of anti-choicers selecting a poll option.

  9. #29
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pro-Life vs Anti-Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Why do we need another abortion poll?
    I actually like this poll. It is not about abortion so much as it is about the language used in the abortion debate. I think one of the reasons(though far from the only one) that abortion debate is so acrimonious is that the language is so extreme. The other side is "anti-choice" or "pro-death". People spend so much time trying to control the language and demonize those on the other side that rational discussions are impossible. It puts me in mind of a poll I made almost 3 years ago here: http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...ama-right.html
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #30
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pro-Life vs Anti-Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    To catch the irony of anti-choicers selecting a poll option.
    Dammit, I sprayed coffee all ever when I read this...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •