View Poll Results: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 75.93%
  • No

    4 7.41%
  • Maybe

    7 12.96%
  • Other

    2 3.70%
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 154

Thread: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

  1. #61
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    As much as it pains me to say this, I am afraid we are going to venture into nuclear hell over Iran. My guess, before June; maybe in March.

    Like it or not, we are inextricably linked to Israel and to Saudi Arabia. Neither nation wants a nuclear Iran. The US doesn't have to initiate the war, we simply need to be in the general area. We have at this point 4 or 5 aircraft carriers in the Persian Gulf. Some say that 6 is the magic number. In addition, the US is or has made other strategic moves in the region. If someone completely oblivious to the politics of the region were to look at the US build-up and was asked whether we were acting in a peaceful or warlike manner, I think the answer would be obvious.

    If, or when, the fit hits the shan in Iran there is no way in hell the conflict will be contained. Iran won't be a pushover, but the issue is far greater than Iran. We very well may face retaliation from Russia, even China. What will Pakistan do? Would Pakistan take the opportunity to move on Kashmir? What will Turkey do?

    It is my opinion that war with Iran may be the beginning of WWIII and America will not go unharmed.

    Sorry.
    I disagree. No one will come to defense of Iran, at least openly. Iran will not be a pushover, to be sure. But, they will be by themselves. Regardless of how China and Russia view us, they still can't hang with our military. Of course, if many liberals and some conservatives have their way, we will be on even footing with them in the next 10 years. Then, you'll see a bolder and more belligerant group of nations acting however they see fit because they know the sheriff only has two bullets in his six shooter, so to say.
    To answer the poll, yes nukes are a deterrent. Do we really think Pakistan would get treated as well as they do if they didn't have their nukes? We wouldn't give rat spit about those corrupt idiots if they didn't have them.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #62
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,592

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Anymore nuclear weapons are not a deterrent. Look at Iran, if Iran really had nukes do you seriously think they would use them? Iran would never use a nuke because they knew the minute they did they would be glassed.
    I think you may want to look up the word "deterrent."
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #63
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Anymore nuclear weapons are not a deterrent. Look at Iran, if Iran really had nukes do you seriously think they would use them? Iran would never use a nuke because they knew the minute they did they would be glassed. Perhaps in the past it was a deterrent, nowadays it is a show of power. Look at it like a nice gated community having a quiet battle over who has the best lawn, and best kept house, except they are nuclear weapons. They want it just because we have it and people will listen to them if they have it. For some countries it is more of a bargaining chip.
    Therein lies the huge misunderstanding of the Islamic culture. They don't care if they turn into glass man. As long as some infidels go down with them. I believe the Iranians would nuke Israel at the first provocation.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  4. #64
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Therein lies the huge misunderstanding of the Islamic culture. They don't care if they turn into glass man. As long as some infidels go down with them.
    It's not just that, they also have less to lose.

    I remember when we first went into Afghanistan some people at work were saying "We should bomb them back to the Stone Age!" Uh, hate to break this to you, buddy, but most of them are already there.

  5. #65
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    It's not just that, they also have less to lose.

    I remember when we first went into Afghanistan some people at work were saying "We should bomb them back to the Stone Age!" Uh, hate to break this to you, buddy, but most of them are already there.
    True that.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  6. #66
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    If someone had enough nukes to wipe out a country, then yes, they've got a deterrent against crippling, conventional warfare. But this doesn't stop damaging terrorist attacks or small scale raids. In someone has just few nuclear weapons or is in the process of developing them, then it's quite the opposite. A country like that encourages attack far more than it dissuades. In such a situation, a country would be better advised to build a strong conventional military and be nice to their neighbors.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  7. #67
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I disagree. No one will come to defense of Iran, at least openly. Iran will not be a pushover, to be sure. But, they will be by themselves. Regardless of how China and Russia view us, they still can't hang with our military. Of course, if many liberals and some conservatives have their way, we will be on even footing with them in the next 10 years. Then, you'll see a bolder and more belligerant group of nations acting however they see fit because they know the sheriff only has two bullets in his six shooter, so to say.
    To answer the poll, yes nukes are a deterrent. Do we really think Pakistan would get treated as well as they do if they didn't have their nukes? We wouldn't give rat spit about those corrupt idiots if they didn't have them.
    Even if China could beat us militarily (just saying for the sake of conversation), they are so tied to our best interests economically that they'd lose as well. Something tells me they know this.

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Maybe....
    depending on the sanity of our protagonist.
    The Russians were very much sane, but the Iranians ???

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Nuclear bombing is the last resort. Should something extreme require them to be used, so be it.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 11:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    240

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    It has been said by many that the primary reason the Soviets never used nuclear weapons on us is because they knew we had them too, and would use them on them in retaliation. May be a tad simplistic, kind of a 'nutshell' description, but I think there is merit to that point-of-view.

    We often try to keep other smaller nations from getting nuclear weapons. The stated rationale has been what they might do with them against their neighbors. There might be a grain of truth to that, but I suspect that the real reason we don't want them to have nuclear weapons is because we don't want them to use them against us should we decide to attack them.
    There's nothing wrong with that when we're trying to maintain order, and really, if we need to kick butt, we need to keep the nuclear weapons out of enemy hands.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •