View Poll Results: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 75.93%
  • No

    4 7.41%
  • Maybe

    7 12.96%
  • Other

    2 3.70%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 154

Thread: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,342

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    The fear is... and it's legitimate in my view... is that if Iran gets a nuke, it has minions who can hand-deliver it to any place they wish, like Tel Aviv or NYC. Meanwhile, they have plausible deniability, knowing that there will be no proof that they are behind the attack.
    I see your point but the Dirty bomb scenario has been thrown around for the last 20 years and we have never seen anyone try it yet.

  2. #42
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    01-05-18 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,296

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Indeed and the best thing to do is to get the **** out of the region. We have no business there. They have every right not to want us there. They have ever right to want to be able to defend themselves against us. If the situation was reversed the US would be apoplectic.

    Brilliant!




    and....er.... what do you propose we do for an economy after the current one collapses following the US withdrawal?

  3. #43
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I suspect that the real reason we don't want them to have nuclear weapons is because we don't want them to use them against us should we decide to attack them.
    This is a very good reason for them not have them. What do you suppose might happen to Iran, say, if they were to acquire nukes and use them upon U.S. troops during a U.S. invasion of Iran?

    What do you think might happen to Iran if they were to light one off in a major U.S. city?
    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

  4. #44
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    01-05-18 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,296

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    What do you think might happen to Iran if they were to light one off in a major U.S. city?
    The US may attempt a counterstrike, which Allah would protect them from, and the 13th Imam would return, leading the Persian people to their rightful place at the center of the Faith and the center of the World.













    I remain fascinated by those who spent the last 8 years criticizing Neoconservatives for having flawed assumptions about the possibility of fostering democracy in Arab lands who now posit foreign policy under the same critiqued assumption that underneath the foreign clothes and tongues, other regimes are really just agnostic Westerners who want to get along and make a buck. They are not. And we forget that at our peril.
    Last edited by cpwill; 01-31-12 at 11:11 PM.

  5. #45
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    01-12-18 @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,907

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    This is a very good reason for them not have them. What do you suppose might happen to Iran, say, if they were to acquire nukes and use them upon U.S. troops during a U.S. invasion of Iran?

    What do you think might happen to Iran if they were to light one off in a major U.S. city?
    Having more weapons (and thus power) is always preferable to having less.

  6. #46
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    24,048

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Brilliant!




    and....er.... what do you propose we do for an economy after the current one collapses following the US withdrawal?
    That's a fair question, CP. However, I would venture to say the economy is going to collapse anyway. Certainly a good war is the preferred economic engine of the GOP. But, it has to end. We soon will not be able to afford to travel the globe and **** with nations.

    More to answer your questions, the withdrawal would have to be gradual and permanent so that it wouldn't adversely affect the economy.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  7. #47
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    01-12-18 @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,907

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    The US may attempt a counterstrike, which Allah would protect them from, and the 13th Imam would return, leading the Persian people to their rightful place at the center of the Faith and the center of the World.













    I remain fascinated by those who spent the last 8 years criticizing Neoconservatives for having flawed assumptions about the possibility of fostering democracy in Arab lands who now posit foreign policy under the same critiqued assumption that underneath the foreign clothes and tongues, other regimes are really just agnostic Westerners who want to get along and make a buck. They are not. And we forget that at our peril.
    To a large extent, this is true of many of the Middle Eastern dictators who are holding onto power. Saddam wasn't a religious fanatic. Neither was Gaddafi. What motivated those guys was power, and how to hold onto it.

    Now, granted, Iran is somewhat of a different case, but for the most part all this talk about the Iranian leadership being fanatical nihilists is just pure hyperbole.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 01-31-12 at 11:17 PM.

  8. #48
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,993
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    I see your point but the Dirty bomb scenario has been thrown around for the last 20 years and we have never seen anyone try it yet.
    A "dirty bomb" is not something one can kludge up from a hardware store, and the radioactive component is difficult to get, never mind handle safely enough not to kill the bombmaker. Just because one hasn't been set off yet doesn't mean that there haven't been attempts. I believe that several countries in Europe have thwarted "dirty bomb" plans, and IIRC several here in America as well.

    The thing with a nuclear weapon is that it is built by governments that have vast amounts of dollars to do a proper job. The only tricky thing is the delivery system. Iran isn't going to lob a detectable missle from its own soil. But it may very well have one of the terrorist groups it supports lob it from Lebanon, or the Sinai. That's what makes the US, the EU and most of the UN so fearful, along with Iran's ME neighbors. They know that Iran has the means to target an enemy without having to accept either the responsibility or the retaliation.

  9. #49
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    A "dirty bomb" is not something one can kludge up from a hardware store, and the radioactive component is difficult to get, never mind handle safely enough not to kill the bombmaker. Just because one hasn't been set off yet doesn't mean that there haven't been attempts. I believe that several countries in Europe have thwarted "dirty bomb" plans, and IIRC several here in America as well.

    The thing with a nuclear weapon is that it is built by governments that have vast amounts of dollars to do a proper job. The only tricky thing is the delivery system. Iran isn't going to lob a detectable missle from its own soil. But it may very well have one of the terrorist groups it supports lob it from Lebanon, or the Sinai. That's what makes the US, the EU and most of the UN so fearful, along with Iran's ME neighbors. They know that Iran has the means to target an enemy without having to accept either the responsibility or the retaliation.
    There actually were two dirty bombs that got stopped prior to assembly targeting NYC IIRC but they def. got stopped post 9/11 and were supposed to be a second wave of the terrorist attacks. You have exactly expressed the first thing Iran would be capable of, the people there aren't suicidal but their government actually might launch a nuke from Iran just for the hell of it, they are that nuts in the leadership.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #50
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    01-12-18 @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,907

    Re: Are nuclear weapons a deterrent?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    There actually were two dirty bombs that got stopped prior to assembly targeting NYC IIRC but they def. got stopped post 9/11 and were supposed to be a second wave of the terrorist attacks. You have exactly expressed the first thing Iran would be capable of, the people there aren't suicidal but their government actually might launch a nuke from Iran just for the hell of it, they are that nuts in the leadership.
    For the most part, policymakers aren't worried so much about Iran launching a nuke at us (or likely at anyone), but rather that they might allow those weapons to become insecure, either intentionally or by accident, or otherwise sell them to the highest bidder, as DiAnna said.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 01-31-12 at 11:50 PM.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •