View Poll Results: What is the best form of democracy?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Representative

    19 59.38%
  • Direct

    4 12.50%
  • Other

    4 12.50%
  • It's all good

    1 3.13%
  • It's all BS

    1 3.13%
  • I don't know

    1 3.13%
  • There are superior systems than democracy

    2 6.25%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 63

Thread: Representative vs Direct Democracy

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Representative vs Direct Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    Absolutely agree. I don't know how to solve this problem. If the general population stands by while the government violates the constitution, then there's not much to be done. What are your thoughts?
    My thoughts are two-fold...

    1. You need to restrict the voices to those who are actually Educated and Informed on the concepts of Governance.

    2. You need a foundational document that is written like a contract/legal document not a philosophical one. The language needs to be plain and simple.

    ie... The Second Amendment would read: The US Government shall not engage in any policy that restricts the Right of The People to own any weapons or exercise their Right to Self-Defense.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Representative vs Direct Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    My thoughts are two-fold...

    1. You need to restrict the voices to those who are actually Educated and Informed on the concepts of Governance.

    2. You need a foundational document that is written like a contract/legal document not a philosophical one. The language needs to be plain and simple.

    ie... The Second Amendment would read: The US Government shall not engage in any policy that restricts the Right of The People to own any weapons or exercise their Right to Self-Defense.
    Interesting ideas. Gotta go for now. Will respond later.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Representative vs Direct Democracy

    You are right, guys, democracy is never to be imperialistic and can only work small scale. A question pops up - what are the big countries of today then?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    2. You need a foundational document that is written like a contract/legal document not a philosophical one.
    Fine but don't force me to live according to your standards, will you? After all, that's liberty - you do it your way, I'll do it mine. No need to cross roads and torture each other.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Representative vs Direct Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Fine but don't force me to live according to your standards, will you? After all, that's liberty - you do it your way, I'll do it mine. No need to cross roads and torture each other.
    I've never been much of a fan of Liberty. It tends to get in the way of the Black and White thinking that is necessary to ensure decency in a society.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Representative vs Direct Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I've never been much of a fan of Liberty. It tends to get in the way of the Black and White thinking that is necessary to ensure decency in a society.
    Yes, I've noticed. Decency? Morality? According to whom? May I suggest that you check that out first? Thanks.
    Last edited by Canell; 01-31-12 at 10:10 AM.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Representative vs Direct Democracy

    Canell, that was already discussed in the thread you noted. Let's try to keep this one on track. Thanks.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Representative vs Direct Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Canell, that was already discussed in the thread you noted. Let's try to keep this one on track. Thanks.
    If you stop pronouncing yourself from the stand point of some absolute morality, it's a deal.

  8. #18
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Representative vs Direct Democracy

    I've read a few papers from political philosophers about direct democracy and I don't think it will work for the US.


    I would, however, like to deep-six the Electoral College. There was good reason for it in the 1700's. Today it's just a worthless relic. We can easily count and keep track of votes over a wide area in a timely manner, now. No reason to "send someone to Washington" to tell them how we voted locally.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Representative vs Direct Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    If you stop pronouncing yourself from the stand point of some absolute morality, it's a deal.
    Better idea.... Welcome to the Ignore List. Now you can feel free to discuss anything you want.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Representative vs Direct Democracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Better idea.... Welcome to the Ignore List. Now you can feel free to discuss anything you want.
    It's your right.

    Let's move on - Direct democracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •