View Poll Results: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • There should be no inheritance tax of any amount of money or assets.

    84 54.90%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 35%.

    21 13.73%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 50%.

    12 7.84%
  • The first 1 million should be exempt. After that the rate should be 50%.

    19 12.42%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 35% from the get-go.

    9 5.88%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 50% from the get-go.

    1 0.65%
  • Abolish all inheritance. In other words, tax 100%.

    7 4.58%
Page 99 of 195 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 990 of 1947

Thread: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

  1. #981
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    That is simply false. Some people here think I am left of Leon Trostky and August Spies and I have repeatedly expressed support for taxing ALL Americans five points more than they pay today and that would include the demonized 47% created by the 2001 and 2003 Bush tax cuts. And a full 93% of the YES votes for that reality that you profess to hate and loathe came from your Republicans in congress.
    we shouldn't have a tax on income and that would solve all the problems

  2. #982
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the income tax is popular because the masses get to pay less than they should while the top pays too much

    we all know that when you rob 10 Peters to give 100 Pauls the money you are going to win elections
    As an experienced attorney trained at one of the nations best law schools, do you know of any successful legal challenges using the LaMid approach of a equal protections challenge to the constitutionality of the progressive income tax?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #983
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    we shouldn't have a tax on income and that would solve all the problems
    Since money is how we currently keep score, nothing seems fairer than a tax on income.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #984
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-16 @ 07:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    The first $500K should be exempt, with a sliding scale up to 35% at $1 million, 50% at $3 million, and 75% above $5 million. If you can't get by on that much free money, then tough, get a real job.

    Of course, the scale should be entirely different for lawyers. A 300% rate on their 'earnings' while they're still alive, and their off-spring should pay 500% of what their lawyer parent stole, oops i mean 'earned'(snicker). When they get that debt to society paid off, then they can be taxed like normal people; unless they're also lawyers, in which case drowning them in the nearest bog would be best for all concerred.

  5. #985
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    As an experienced attorney trained at one of the nations best law schools, do you know of any successful legal challenges using the LaMid approach of a equal protections challenge to the constitutionality of the progressive income tax?
    Nope judges tend to be major cogs in the government machine. there are lots of things that should be struck down but will never be-let me clue you in on something I bet you know anyway. People who end up being appointed federal judges are big time members of the "company"

  6. #986
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    The first $500K should be exempt, with a sliding scale up to 35% at $1 million, 50% at $3 million, and 75% above $5 million. If you can't get by on that much free money, then tough, get a real job.

    Of course, the scale should be entirely different for lawyers. A 300% rate on their 'earnings' while they're still alive, and their off-spring should pay 500% of what their lawyer parent stole, oops i mean 'earned'(snicker). When they get that debt to society paid off, then they can be taxed like normal people; unless they're also lawyers, in which case drowning them in the nearest bog would be best for all concerred.
    your puny attempts to bait me are worthless, such a post demonstrates a savage combination of populist idiocy and envy of the rich. But feel free to try to drown me, I am your huckleberry

  7. #987
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Nope judges tend to be major cogs in the government machine. there are lots of things that should be struck down but will never be-let me clue you in on something I bet you know anyway. People who end up being appointed federal judges are big time members of the "company"
    Which is why appeal to authority is such a dangerous logical fallacy. Of course the courts won't hear that kind of argument as they are currently structured, it's not in their best interest to go against the legislative and executive because there could be an instant call to reign in jurisprudence starting with impeachments, and because the court has gone along for so many years they've created quite a few impeachable rulings.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #988
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so what-they are still higher than the ZERO rates we had for more than half this country's history
    Our debt was a fraction then of what it is now after 30 years of excessive military spending. We can no longer afford for the rich to keep getting their cake and eating it too.

    and the Iraqi war-while a waste was a constitutional spending.
    No, Iraq was of no threat to us. The Constitution only authorizes defense. Check with some of your buddies that are actually libertarian and they can straighten you out on this.

    the "war on poverty" and the dependency created by it cost far more and is of dubious constitutional validity.
    It both cost less and had more constitutional validity, and with more beneficial results.

    Your post seems as if written by a little kid throwing a tantrum because the war toys he wants to buy cost more than his allowance.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #989
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Nope judges tend to be major cogs in the government machine. there are lots of things that should be struck down but will never be-let me clue you in on something I bet you know anyway. People who end up being appointed federal judges are big time members of the "company"
    So the answer is a definite and firm NO.

    So much for the legal allegations of LaMidRighter.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #990
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Which is why appeal to authority is such a dangerous logical fallacy. Of course the courts won't hear that kind of argument as they are currently structured, it's not in their best interest to go against the legislative and executive because there could be an instant call to reign in jurisprudence starting with impeachments, and because the court has gone along for so many years they've created quite a few impeachable rulings.
    Denial is not just a river in Egypt and your continuing to harp on something which has been thoroughly discredited, crushed and flushed is proof of it.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •