View Poll Results: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • There should be no inheritance tax of any amount of money or assets.

    84 54.90%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 35%.

    21 13.73%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 50%.

    12 7.84%
  • The first 1 million should be exempt. After that the rate should be 50%.

    19 12.42%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 35% from the get-go.

    9 5.88%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 50% from the get-go.

    1 0.65%
  • Abolish all inheritance. In other words, tax 100%.

    7 4.58%
Page 98 of 195 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast
Results 971 to 980 of 1947

Thread: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

  1. #971
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    only spending

    and much of that spending is because those who demand it aren't taxed to pay for it

    Everyone with a shred of common sense knows that lack of income is a major part of not being able to pay one's bills. Its why they didn't cut tax rates during WWII, and the US has spent more on the war on terror than any other war.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #972
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Everyone with a shred of common sense knows that lack of income is a major part of not being able to pay one's bills. Its why they didn't cut tax rates during WWII, and the US has spent more on the war on terror than any other war.
    duh, this government spends too much and who elects those big spenders? not the top one percent

  3. #973
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    duh, this government spends too much and who elects those big spenders? not the top one percent

    The biggest waste in spending in our lifetimes was the Iraq war. A majority of Democrats voted against AOF, and an almost unanimous majority of the GOP voted for AOF.

    I rest my case "counselor."



    But of course your purpose was just to divert away from the fact that the tax rates for capital gains are the lowest they have been in 80 years!!!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #974
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The biggest waste in spending in our lifetimes was the Iraq war. A majority of Democrats voted against AOF, and an almost unanimous majority of the GOP voted for AOF.

    I rest my case "counselor."



    But of course your purpose was just to divert away from the fact that the tax rates for capital gains are the lowest they have been in 80 years!!!
    so what-they are still higher than the ZERO rates we had for more than half this country's history

    and the Iraqi war-while a waste was a constitutional spending.

    the "war on poverty" and the dependency created by it cost far more and is of dubious constitutional validity

    your case just got tossed on a Rule 12(b)(6) motion-it failed to state a valid claim upon which relief could be granted

  5. #975
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Wealthier Americans pay higher taxes than middle- or low-income earners; according to the latest Internal Revenue Service data, Americans earning more than $1 million in 2009 paid at an average income tax rate of 25%, while the average rate for taxpayers earning $75,000 to $100,000 was 8%.
    In contrast, Americans making $100,000 to $200,000 paid on average 12% in taxes -- but this group paid a quarter of all income taxes collected in 2009, according to IRS data. Add in those making up to $500,000 -- who paid at a rate of 19% -- and these two groups contributed 45% of all income taxes collected. Americans earning more than $1 million, on the other hand, in 2009 paid just 20% of total taxes collected.


    Read more: Who Pays the Highest Taxes? | Fox Business

  6. #976
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why does the class warrior in chief constantly spew stuff out his ass claiming the "rich don't pay their fair share"

    and you seem to think all the rich and all the corporations are GOP leaning. complete crap
    All I did was point out who is actually buying votes in this country. I did not say anything about who was paying what in taxes. I did not mention Dems or Reps. You added those all on your own. I just refuted your "buying votes" point. Big Money buys the important votes.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    ... according to the latest Internal Revenue Service data, Americans earning more than $1 million in 2009 paid at an average income tax rate of 25%, while the average rate for taxpayers earning $75,000 to $100,000 was 8%.
    Wow! Then Mitt really IS making out like a bandit, isn't he, dodging 11%+ in taxes that his peers seem to miss?
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 02-12-12 at 11:30 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  7. #977
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,099

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    According to the sixteenth it does. As I said earlier economic discrimination is still discrimination and if someone wanted to press the issue using the equal protections clause they would have a decent case.
    It will soon be a century of the income tax. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to the success of the legal challenges using your arguments about the equal protections clause rendering the progressive income tax as unconstitutional.

    After all, it has been nearly 100 years and I suspect you are not the first to think of this.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #978
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    All I did was point out who is actually buying votes in this country. I did not say anything about who was paying what in taxes. I did not mention Dems or Reps. You added those all on your own. I just refuted your "buying votes" point. Big Money buys the important votes.

    Wow! Then Mitt really IS making out like a bandit, isn't he, dodging 11%+ in taxes that his peers seem to miss?

    the whining left complains that Mitt only pays 14% (and millions) while being mum about the millions who pay nothing

  9. #979
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It will soon be a century of the income tax. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to the success of the legal challenges using your arguments about the equal protections clause rendering the progressive income tax as unconstitutional.

    After all, it has been nearly 100 years and I suspect you are not the first to think of this.
    the income tax is popular because the masses get to pay less than they should while the top pays too much

    we all know that when you rob 10 Peters to give 100 Pauls the money you are going to win elections

  10. #980
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,099

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the whining left complains that Mitt only pays 14% (and millions) while being mum about the millions who pay nothing
    That is simply false. Some people here think I am left of Leon Trostky and August Spies and I have repeatedly expressed support for taxing ALL Americans five points more than they pay today and that would include the demonized 47% created by the 2001 and 2003 Bush tax cuts. And a full 93% of the YES votes for that reality that you profess to hate and loathe came from your Republicans in congress.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •