View Poll Results: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • There should be no inheritance tax of any amount of money or assets.

    84 54.90%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 35%.

    21 13.73%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 50%.

    12 7.84%
  • The first 1 million should be exempt. After that the rate should be 50%.

    19 12.42%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 35% from the get-go.

    9 5.88%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 50% from the get-go.

    1 0.65%
  • Abolish all inheritance. In other words, tax 100%.

    7 4.58%
Page 81 of 195 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 810 of 1947

Thread: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

  1. #801
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,569

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    In a democratic republic such as ours, the opinion of the American people is hardly MORONIC. Why do you need to apply such terms to the normal expression of public opinion? Does it somehow someway bolster you own lack of support?

    And yet again, for time beyond calculation, you play the silly ENVY CARD again.


    It is moronic and it is an appeal to envy. And many of us find your devotion to taking more money from people to be rather peculiar

  2. #802
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    This particular "hurting small business and costing American jobs" speech is beginning to sound a lot like political rhetoric. (They seem to use it for every little thing they're against, whether it's true or not.) Don't get me wrong, it IS a consideration for this discussion but unless your cousins are altruistic or sentimental they will do whatever is in their best interest without a thought for the workers or the company.
    well, yes and no (many of the employees have been with them for years and years; they grew up with their children). But ultimately it is immaterial. How my cousins feel matters not one iota to the fact that the estate tax would force them to break up that business, and whether firing folks makes them miserably sad or deliriously gleeful does not effect at all the fact that the employees shall be fired. the economic result of the estate tax (the lower to upper middle income folks suffer, the uber rich are protected from competition) remains the same irrespective of the feelings involved.
    For me this discussion isn't about the added revenue the tax creates
    which is good, because the tax brings in about as much revenue as it costs to collect.
    I agree the uber-rich have already staked out certain aristocratic claims but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing or that we should encourage it. In fact, given the tax and a nominal 2.1 children per generation, unless subsequent generations continue to be extremely productive the claims will tend to diminish over time. Sure those heirs may have a home for life along with someone to powder their butt if needed but life-style should not be the concern of society. The accumulation of economic power is a different story as it can be disruptive and is often not in the common good.
    then you are supporting a tax not to fund necessary functions of government, but to tear a certain group of people down.

  3. #803
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    cpwill

    Your latest post contains nothing new. It is but a rehash of tired arguments that have already been thoroughly rebutted and discredited. To repeat the same old tired nonsense about nobody pays those rates, or taxes hurt the little rich guys but not the uber rich guys is just silly rhetoric that has been smashed and trashed repeatedly.

    In the end there is one thing you cannot get around with all your right wing rationalizations: the federal government openly discriminates with preferential tax rates allowing people who get money from capital gains and inheritance at far lower rates than the same amount of money in wages.

    All of your rhetoric, all of your claims, all of your boasts, and all of your belittling towards me does not change that one iota.

    A person who makes a cool million in wages pays over twice what a person making that same amount in capital gains does in income tax and the person who inherits that same million pays NOTHING.

    That is the reality that average wage earners are totally fed up with and that is why you see numbers between 60 and 70% supporting increased taxes on the wealthy.
    and you are reduced to rant. not even good rant, but rant based upon key assumptions that have been demonstrated multiple times not to exist in the real world.


    still waiting to see if you are adult enough to admit you erred in accusations of dishonesty. you're a public union guy, so I'm betting "no", as over the top baseless accusations are more ya'lls stock in trade.

  4. #804
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    In a democratic republic such as ours, the opinion of the American people is hardly MORONIC. Why do you need to apply such terms to the normal expression of public opinion? Does it somehow someway bolster you own lack of support?
    delighted to hear you say it! so you will now alter your position and agree with the wide majority of Americans who wish to end taxation on inheritances?

  5. #805
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,648

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    and you are reduced to rant. not even good rant, but rant based upon key assumptions that have been demonstrated multiple times not to exist in the real world.


    still waiting to see if you are adult enough to admit you erred in accusations of dishonesty. you're a public union guy, so I'm betting "no", as over the top baseless accusations are more ya'lls stock in trade.
    So there is no American taxpayer earning dollars from wages who is paying twice what the wealthy are paying on capital gains?

    That is so intellectually dishonest that it reeks of outright fraud.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #806
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,648

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    delighted to hear you say it! so you will now alter your position and agree with the wide majority of Americans who wish to end taxation on inheritances?
    And I would do that because......................... because.................. because of what exactly?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #807
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,648

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    It is moronic and it is an appeal to envy. And many of us find your devotion to taking more money from people to be rather peculiar
    Again with the all purpose ENVY CARD. You have nothing else so its the perpetual whine of the high school girl "you just hate me because I'm beautiful". That might work on high school kids, but it just looks stupid here.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #808
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    well, yes and no (many of the employees have been with them for years and years; they grew up with their children). But ultimately it is immaterial. How my cousins feel matters not one iota to the fact that the estate tax would force them to break up that business, and whether firing folks makes them miserably sad or deliriously gleeful does not effect at all the fact that the employees shall be fired. the economic result of the estate tax (the lower to upper middle income folks suffer, the uber rich are protected from competition) remains the same irrespective of the feelings involved.
    All I was saying here was that there is no guarantee the company would survive anyway. Many small businesses go under when the founder dies, often because they are an essential element of the business. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any statistics on small business closures because of inheritance taxes or the death of the founder. Do happen to know of some?
    (I can see issues if the threshold gets much lower than $5M - and I would consider raising it - but at this point in time $5M is a pretty large business as is.)

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    then you are supporting a tax not to fund necessary functions of government, but to tear a certain group of people down.
    I suppose any kind of regulatory measure could be looked at that way. Certainly any time the EPA wants to institute a new regulation to protect citizen's health many politicians start crying the same thing. "You'll force plant closures and layoffs!" they say. Well, yes, maybe those regulations will force a plant closure if the plant isn't worth the investment required to reach compliance. Is that "tearing down" the business? Yes, many would see it that way. It doesn't change the fact that the regulation is for the long-term good of society.


    Also, while looking for stats on the first part I ran across a couple of articles talking about state inheritance tax. Apparently there is concern on that level because those taxes do make up a large chunk of state revenue.

  9. #809
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    then you are supporting a tax not to fund necessary functions of government, but to tear a certain group of people down.
    BTW - To which group do you refer? An estate is not a person or group and unless the inheritance tax is 100% with no deductions the heirs are being built up.

  10. #810
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,923

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    more psychobabble.
    Keep dodgeing.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •