View Poll Results: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • There should be no inheritance tax of any amount of money or assets.

    84 54.90%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 35%.

    21 13.73%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 50%.

    12 7.84%
  • The first 1 million should be exempt. After that the rate should be 50%.

    19 12.42%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 35% from the get-go.

    9 5.88%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 50% from the get-go.

    1 0.65%
  • Abolish all inheritance. In other words, tax 100%.

    7 4.58%
Page 33 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 1947

Thread: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

  1. #321
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Befuddled_Stoner View Post
    Ok, LA, so we write an exemption for small businesses. Put it at a $1m or so. If the business is worth millions, **** the family for wanting to keep it all; let them sell shares to pay for the taxes. Nobody gets to inherit Microsoft without having to pay taxes on it.
    No exemptions are needed if you don't tax inheritance. And I could care less about people who "want a taste" of others wealth without contributing a thing to the business. No, not **** the family, **** the people who engage in post mortem theft.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #322
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    He already told you they couldn't retain due to the tax loss.
    ... You aren't paying attention LaMidRighter. I asked why they couldn't get somebody to buy a share in the company. They should normally be able to sell off a share of the company and keep it in operation.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It's really no one else's business BUT the family's, so the rest of your analysis is dismissed.
    Your same argument would apply equally to any other type of income. But nonetheless, we need tax revenues if we're going to remain a first world country.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  3. #323
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    02-10-12 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    845

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    No exemptions are needed if you don't tax inheritance. And I could care less about people who "want a taste" of others wealth without contributing a thing to the business. No, not **** the family, **** the people who engage in post mortem theft.
    As I already said in post #309:
    Quote Originally Posted by Befuddled_Stoner
    The government needs money to function, it gets that money through taxes, and taxes are a necessary evil that nobody likes. Any money changing hands should be taxed, regardless of any value exchanged, because not taxing one type of money transfer shifts the burden of supporting the government onto other forms of money transfer. When we don't tax inheritance, we have to tax working people that much more to make up the difference. Society as a whole benefits the most if we tax the working man as little as possible, thus we should not shift the non-working man's tax burden onto him.

  4. #324
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Befuddled_Stoner View Post
    As I already said in post #309:
    Yeah, you sure did say the government needs money to function. You left out the part where it assumes responsibilities it is barred from and wastes money it already gets. How about you solve that before asking for more?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #325
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    ... You aren't paying attention LaMidRighter. I asked why they couldn't get somebody to buy a share in the company. They should normally be able to sell off a share of the company and keep it in operation.



    Your same argument would apply equally to any other type of income. But nonetheless, we need tax revenues if we're going to remain a first world country.
    I am paying attention. You aren't making your case.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #326
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    02-10-12 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    845

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Yeah, you sure did say the government needs money to function. You left out the part where it assumes responsibilities it is barred from and wastes money it already gets. How about you solve that before asking for more?
    Perfect solution fallacy
    The pipe is leaking from multiple points. We're talking about plugging a hole at point A. The leaks at points B-Z are the topic for another thread, but they can also be address concurrently. There is nothing special about inheritance dictating that we must address it last.
    Last edited by Befuddled_Stoner; 01-30-12 at 04:07 AM.

  7. #327
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Befuddled_Stoner View Post
    Perfect solution fallacy
    The pipe is leaking from multiple points. We're talking about plugging a hole at point A, the leaks at points B-Z are the topic for another thread.
    There is no fallacy. You are arguing taking from people and possibly ruining their lives to fix problems they did not create on behalf of the people who created the problems. If you have problems with people getting an inheritance on already taxed assests just say so, don't try to justify it.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #328
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by kenvin View Post
    Life isn't fair. The employees will only loose their jobs if the new owners fire them.
    there will be no "new employers"; since the tax owed would be more than they have in liquid form, they would have to break up and sell off the business in order to pay the tax bill.

    Since your example is made up no one will lose any jobs, and the non existant employees have nothing to worry about.
    actually my example is quite real - my uncle is the Actual American Story, no college education, built a small business up through an intensive work ethic, blood, tears, and years of living frugally and is now "worth millions of dollars", most of it in the form of the land and equipment that his contracting business uses. His daughters were young in a trailor park, now he is able to send them to college wherever they wish to go, and send them to Prom in whatever they wish to wear, an ability he worked hard for and treasures. But in order to sock-it to his daughters, others are willing to put his 50ish employees out on the street, and screw over all their daughters. Seems rather unfair to me...

  9. #329
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    02-10-12 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    845

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    There is no fallacy. You are arguing taking from people and possibly ruining their lives to fix problems they did not create on behalf of the people who created the problems. If you have problems with people getting an inheritance on already taxed assests just say so, don't try to justify it.
    The Perfect Solution Fallacy you used says we cannot fix this one problem because there are a bunch of other problems that will go unfixed.

    I am arguing that 1) we must take money to fund the government, that 2) the marginal utility of wealth decreases as it is accumulated, and thus 3) not taking money from heirs hurts the economy because we have to make up that short fall by taking more from poorer people, whose money has a much higher economy spurring velocity rate than that of the heirs.

    The new fallacy that you're introducing is called Ad hominem; you are casting aspersions on my motives in order to deflect attention away from my argument.

  10. #330
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Befuddled_Stoner View Post
    The Perfect Solution Fallacy you used says we cannot fix this one problem because there are a bunch of other problems that will go unfixed.

    I am arguing that 1) we must take money to fund the government, that 2) the marginal utility of wealth decreases as it is accumulated, and thus 3) not taking money from heirs hurts the economy because we have to make up that short fall by taking more from poorer people, whose money has a much higher economy spurring velocity rate than that of the heirs.

    The new fallacy that you're introducing is called Ad hominem; you are casting aspersions on my motives in order to deflect attention away from my argument.
    You keep repeating that and you are wrong. For it to be a fallacy there would have to be a logical disconnect, the problem IS what I have described, the fix is getting rid of the contributing agent(being unlimited access to tax dollars through force). I will go ahead and blow you off now since you would rather attack the argument with a false premise than discuss the topic.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •