View Poll Results: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • There should be no inheritance tax of any amount of money or assets.

    84 54.90%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 35%.

    21 13.73%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 50%.

    12 7.84%
  • The first 1 million should be exempt. After that the rate should be 50%.

    19 12.42%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 35% from the get-go.

    9 5.88%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 50% from the get-go.

    1 0.65%
  • Abolish all inheritance. In other words, tax 100%.

    7 4.58%
Page 31 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 1947

Thread: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

  1. #301
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    What part are you not following on? If money is worth less and paychecks don't increase then it is a government caused issue. I'm not going through the whole process for you but what part specifically doesn't resonate with you?
    NO, that isn't true of course. If paychecks don't increase that is most likely a problem caused by the private sector. Inflation is more controllable by the government. Not sure how you think inflation fits into our discussion though. It's pretty pretty mild for a very long time, so inflation isn't really a huge factor in anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Deficit and debt are not the same thing. We are in a debt crisis, the deficit is a smaller part of the problem. Try to keep up.
    Kiddo. That makes no sense. Seriously, you need to focus up. Think things through before you say them. The deficit is how much more we add to the debt each year. You can't address one without addressing the other. Obviously.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    No, we are talking about spending, not simple budgets. Spending in general is the problem and you want more taxes to cover the problem. THAT is what the discussion has involved.
    You are not following the conversation. Go back to the start and try reading through it again maybe.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Dude, don't even try. Obamacare already has outlays being provided for and the total cost expectations first year are around 10 trillion, this is on top of current debt. There is no need for party apologism here, these are facts.
    Kiddo, again, my figures were total outlays so your claims about Obamacare aren't relevant. But, no, very few of the provisions have kicked in so far.

    Besides, while Obamacare will increase spending, it will increase revenues by more, so it reduces the deficit.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  2. #302
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    holy ****- i didn't know this thread was about Obamacare. partisan politics blow.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  3. #303
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    NO, that isn't true of course. If paychecks don't increase that is most likely a problem caused by the private sector. Inflation is more controllable by the government. Not sure how you think inflation fits into our discussion though. It's pretty pretty mild for a very long time, so inflation isn't really a huge factor in anything.



    Kiddo. That makes no sense. Seriously, you need to focus up. Think things through before you say them. The deficit is how much more we add to the debt each year. You can't address one without addressing the other. Obviously.



    You are not following the conversation. Go back to the start and try reading through it again maybe.



    Kiddo, again, my figures were total outlays so your claims about Obamacare aren't relevant. But, no, very few of the provisions have kicked in so far.

    Besides, while Obamacare will increase spending, it will increase revenues by more, so it reduces the deficit.
    Oh whatever. You want the wealthy to pay more, and you are using random arguments to do so. That you dismiss the fact that debt is a larger problem tells me all I need to know. Before I dismiss you I'll leave you with this, deficit adds to the debt, it is the money short on spending, if the deficit is zero there is no new interest however old interest on the DEBT is still accruing. If you really think that letting old interest fester while concentrating on sending more money with no spending accountability is a good idea I really don't know what else to tell you. The fact is that when there is no more available money the government is FORCED to spend wisely. Increasing taxes TAKES money out of the private sector which SHRINKS available revenues to the government due to stagnation and shrinkage in not only wealthy americans incomes but loss of JOBS. Less JOBS means less TAXPAYERS which means LESS revenue. Dismissed.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #304
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    holy ****- i didn't know this thread was about Obamacare. partisan politics blow.
    It's not, the problem is people are throwing out random numbers to justify their stances, this requires full analysis to go on.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #305
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    That you dismiss the fact that debt is a larger problem tells me all I need to know. Before I dismiss you I'll leave you with this, deficit adds to the debt, it is the money short on spending, if the deficit is zero there is no new interest however old interest on the DEBT is still accruing. If you really think that letting old interest fester while concentrating on sending more money with no spending accountability is a good idea I really don't know what else to tell you.
    The words you're saying are true- we need to reduce the deficit and then go further and pay down the debt- but that doesn't have any relation to anything we're talking about... Are you under the impression that I was arguing that we should not pay down the debt or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    The fact is that when there is no more available money the government is FORCED to spend wisely.
    Again, obviously that is false. That is what the debt is- money we borrowed because we didn't have enough revenues to cover our spending... Are you saying that when nobody will loan them anymore money they will be forced to cut spending? By the time we reach that point we would owe at least $100 trillion. Probably more like $200 trillion or more. Even if we cut spending to zero at that point we wouldn't even be able to pay the interest. The US would become insolvent. Is that really where you want to intentionally push the country? Uh....
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  6. #306
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    I have not read thread and don't plan on it: there should not be a tax on this as the people that are DEAD (read DEAD!!) have already paid taxes. Oh and the IRS suxs and should be done away with.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  7. #307
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I have not read thread and don't plan on it: there should not be a tax on this as the people that are DEAD (read DEAD!!) have already paid taxes. Oh and the IRS suxs and should be done away with.
    Absolutely. That's the point many of us have made, that all monies and assets were already taxed and mere transference as a last will is in fact double or triple taxation. You go Kali!
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #308
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I have not read thread and don't plan on it: there should not be a tax on this as the people that are DEAD (read DEAD!!) have already paid taxes. Oh and the IRS suxs and should be done away with.
    Yes, the IRS does need to be eliminated.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  9. #309
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    02-10-12 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    845

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    The government needs money to function, it gets that money through taxes, and taxes are a necessary evil that nobody likes. Any money changing hands should be taxed, regardless of any value exchanged, because not taxing one type of money transfer shifts the burden of supporting the government onto other forms of money transfer. When we don't tax inheritance, we have to tax working people that much more to make up the difference. Society as a whole benefits the most if we tax the working man as little as possible, thus we should not shift the non-working man's tax burden onto him.



    Centinel,

    A child under 18 is the responsibility of their parents/guardians, and they legally have control over that kid's money/finances until they hit 18. A parent giving their kid $10 should not be taxed because legal responsibility for it still ultimately belongs to the parent. It has not legally changed hands any more so than if dad moved it from checking to savings or his left pocket to his right pocket or if his wife takes his wallet and goes on a shopping spree.
    (This is also part of why i think gays should be allowed to get married, to be legally considered a partnership with dual control over their money.)

    A parent giving their adult child money should be taxed as income for the child, with minimal thresholds (probably around a few thousand a year) before the government starts giving a ****. Nobody should care if you're constantly give your boomerang kid a $20 every week for gas.
    Last edited by Befuddled_Stoner; 01-30-12 at 03:09 AM.

  10. #310
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how it is "fair" for all my uncle's employees to lose their jobs so that the government can "get something" from his daughters.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •