View Poll Results: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • There should be no inheritance tax of any amount of money or assets.

    84 54.90%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 35%.

    21 13.73%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 50%.

    12 7.84%
  • The first 1 million should be exempt. After that the rate should be 50%.

    19 12.42%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 35% from the get-go.

    9 5.88%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 50% from the get-go.

    1 0.65%
  • Abolish all inheritance. In other words, tax 100%.

    7 4.58%
Page 149 of 195 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1947

Thread: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

  1. #1481
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    97,146

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    You are promoting a compulsory society, not a cooperative society. Folks like Lizzie and I are the ones promoting a cooperative society.
    Your attendance here is NOT AT ALL COMPULSORY. You operate from a false premise.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #1482
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    97,146

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    No no no sweetie. I'm far from a God. I am among the peons who work my ass off for the median income in our society, it's just that I don't believe in theft as a way of survival.
    Great. We have much in common then. I also work very hard for what I have and I do not believe in theft either.

    But those statements only place us in the vast vast majority of Americans - perhaps as much as 80 to 90%. It means little.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #1483
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    You are promoting a compulsory society, not a cooperative society. Folks like Lizzie and I are the ones promoting a cooperative society.
    And when they don't cooperate your answer is to talk nice to them and impose a paper penalty. I'm sure that piece of paper from the court will make the victims feel better.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 02-21-12 at 06:47 AM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  4. #1484
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 08:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    And when they don't cooperate your answer is to talk nice to them and impose a paper penalty if someone else decides they've been bad.
    No, my answer is that they are brought before a judge who determines whether or not they are guilty and imposes a punishment if they are.

  5. #1485
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 08:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    And still you have no response to the argument that the government's duty is to protect the life, liberty, and property of all people, and that if it robs from peter to pay paul, it is actually violating its duty to protect all people. They are contradictory acts. You be protecting someone's property while you are simultaneously taking their property.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    And you still insist on presenting an argument that is better made by a high school sophomore who has discovered his older brothers textbook to the introductory logic class he is taking at the local community college. Get off the obsession with these absolutes and wisdom may open up for you.
    Hm, I present an argument that you claim is better made by a high school sophomore, yet you assiduously avoid even attempting to refute it. Fascinating.

  6. #1486
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    No, my answer is that they are brought before a judge who determines whether or not they are guilty and imposes a punishment if they are.
    Exactly. If they are guilty then the victim gets a piece of paper saying he was wronged - and the "criminal" gets what, for example?

    Ed:
    Since it seems like 99% of your society hinges on judges I think it's kind of important expand on what you see as possible outcomes to trial - and how the court system itself works, for that matter. Is this all just civil court or are there actual laws that can be broken (aka criminal court)?
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 02-21-12 at 07:02 AM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  7. #1487
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 08:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Exactly. If they are guilty then the victim gets a piece of paper and the "criminal" gets what - for example?
    What piece of paper are you talking about?

    The criminal could receive any of a number of punishments, from the death penalty, to jail, to a fine. It depends on the facts of the case and precedent.

  8. #1488
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    What piece of paper are you talking about?

    The criminal could receive any of a number of punishments, from the death penalty, to jail, to a fine. It depends on the facts of the case and precedent.
    So you're saying a legal system more or less like we have now?
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #1489
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 08:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    So you're saying a legal system more or less like we have now?
    Yes, a judicial and penal system much like we have now.

  10. #1490
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    If $5,000,000 + 65% of everything over that can't buy a future for you then you probably don't deserve one.

    $5M comes out to a little over $170 a day, 365 days a year, for 80 years - not counting interest. If you can get a lowly 2% interest rate that's $100k a year and you never touch the $5M.
    As I said earlier, they can take the money out of circulation for all I care. It's not the taxes I'm after.
    It isn't the governments money, they didn't earn squat, it was taxed by the government as they earned it. Then when that person dies, it shouldn't be taxed because that is called double taxation, which is illegal I do believe. Also, again, this still brings up the question of, again, the parents built the future for the child, who is the government to take any of that away? Although, I kind of see a point, an 18 year old getting 10 million dollars is probably not healthy for our society because he will just sit in a house and never put that money into the economy, but that still doesn't address the question of how the government should dictate morals on him and strip it away so he has to get a job. I might see a tax on like Bill Gates' estate because he has SOOOO much and ten bucks says he wants it to be taxed. Personally, I think if you want some of your money to go to the government when you die, that is a good reason why you write a will.
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •