View Poll Results: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • There should be no inheritance tax of any amount of money or assets.

    84 54.90%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 35%.

    21 13.73%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 50%.

    12 7.84%
  • The first 1 million should be exempt. After that the rate should be 50%.

    19 12.42%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 35% from the get-go.

    9 5.88%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 50% from the get-go.

    1 0.65%
  • Abolish all inheritance. In other words, tax 100%.

    7 4.58%
Page 139 of 195 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1947

Thread: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

  1. #1381
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I hope you'll forgive me if I find these contradictory.

    If it's voluntary then the poor, who have less to lose, may decide not to pay and the rich may decide not to pay, either, since they can afford their own superior security services. If it's not voluntary then someone will no doubt be forced to pay. Could you explain?
    As German Guy pointed out, having multiple competing defense agencies could lead to chaos, so I have agreed with him that it is the legitimate role of government to provide this service universally. Thus, I agree that the government should provide a military, a police force, and courts. As these have to be paid for, then it is legitimate for the government to exact taxes to fulfill its responsibility to provide universal defense services. Thus, rather than each person paying the defense agency of his choice, each person would pay the government to provide these services, and the government would charge a fee for defense and police service, and would also charge court fees to pay for dispute resolution services.

  2. #1382
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    As German Guy pointed out, having multiple competing defense agencies could lead to chaos, so I have agreed with him that it is the legitimate role of government to provide this service universally. Thus, I agree that the government should provide a military, a police force, and courts. As these have to be paid for, then it is legitimate for the government to exact taxes to fulfill its responsibility to provide universal defense services. Thus, rather than each person paying the defense agency of his choice, each person would pay the government to provide these services, and the government would charge a fee for defense and police service, and would also charge court fees to pay for dispute resolution services.
    I understood that part of your previous posts. What I am still unsure of is, will this "fee" be voluntary or mandatory? If it's mandatory aren't you then taking money from people who may not want to give it?
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #1383
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I understood that part of your previous posts. What I am still unsure of is, will this "fee" be voluntary or mandatory? If it's mandatory aren't you then taking money from people who may not want to give it?
    Mandatory, and yes, I am.

    I am compromising and allowing that, because the state is responsible for defending people's property, and because we are stipulating that ONLY the state may perform this function, then the state must be allowed to collect a mandatory fee from all citizens in order to fund this service.

    I still see no reason why individuals cannot arrange these services privately on their own, but since so many seem opposed to the idea and fear that it would lead to chaos and warlordism, I am willing to compromise and say that this will be the reason for the existence of a government, and that defense of property will be its only purpose.

  4. #1384
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,923

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    Mandatory, and yes, I am.

    I am compromising and allowing that, because the state is responsible for defending people's property, and because we are stipulating that ONLY the state may perform this function, then the state must be allowed to collect a mandatory fee from all citizens in order to fund this service.

    I still see no reason why individuals cannot arrange these services privately on their own, but since so many seem opposed to the idea and fear that it would lead to chaos and warlordism, I am willing to compromise and say that this will be the reason for the existence of a government, and that defense of property will be its only purpose.
    What if this mandatory fee was not enough to defend people's paroperty?

    Should we abolish the inheirtance tax to get more , should we stop the tax cuts to the rich to get more?

    Or which one would you abolish, the Military, the CIA, THE FBI, THE DEA THE ATF THE NSA, THE LOCAL POLICE or perhaps another??
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  5. #1385
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by presluc View Post
    What if this mandatory fee was not enough to defend people's paroperty?
    The government would have to charge people the costs of covering the service. The expense of the service would determine the fee.

    Should we abolish the inheirtance tax to get more , should we stop the tax cuts to the rich to get more?
    There would be no inheritance tax. The rich and poor would each pay the same fee for the same defense service.

    Or which one would you abolish, the Military, the CIA, THE FBI, THE DEA THE ATF THE NSA, THE LOCAL POLICE or perhaps another??
    My suggestion would be to put the government in charge of both the military and the police force. They mission of the military would be to defend the territory of the country, and the mission of the police would be to defend property rights. Certainly there would be nothing like the DEA, as there would be no reason for the DEA to exist. It neither defends the territory of the country, nor does it defend property rights.

  6. #1386
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,855

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    The above post makes me very thankful we live in a democratic republic under a Constitution.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #1387
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    I ain't payin' no taxes to no damn revenuers! Let them Commie bastards try to git me! I gots me guns and I gots me wife to reload 'em fur me and I'll take a few o' them scum-suckers out befur' I go! I'm comin' home, Mama!




    Seriously, though, why would I pay $1000/yr to protect almost nothing while others pay the same to protect millions?
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 02-19-12 at 08:30 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  8. #1388
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,681

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I ain't payin' no taxes to no damn revenuers! Let them Commie bastards try to git me! I gots me guns and I gots me wife to reload 'em fur me and I'll take a few o' them scum-suckers out befur' I go! I'm comin' home, Mama!

    massive fail

  9. #1389
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,855

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    massive fail
    It was funny Turtle... it made me smile.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #1390
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,681

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I ain't payin' no taxes to no damn revenuers! Let them Commie bastards try to git me! I gots me guns and I gots me wife to reload 'em fur me and I'll take a few o' them scum-suckers out befur' I go! I'm comin' home, Mama!




    Seriously, though, why would I pay $1000/yr to protect almost nothing while others pay the same to protect millions?

    mainly because people who have millions tend to have the resources to deal with bandits-you do not--and violent crime tends to target poor people not wealthy ones

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •