View Poll Results: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • There should be no inheritance tax of any amount of money or assets.

    84 54.90%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 35%.

    21 13.73%
  • The first 5 million dollars should be exempt. After that the tax rate should be 50%.

    12 7.84%
  • The first 1 million should be exempt. After that the rate should be 50%.

    19 12.42%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 35% from the get-go.

    9 5.88%
  • No exempt amount. Tax at 50% from the get-go.

    1 0.65%
  • Abolish all inheritance. In other words, tax 100%.

    7 4.58%
Page 136 of 195 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1947

Thread: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

  1. #1351
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    So you are in favor of a single world government?
    If all humans on this planet in all nations were ready for democracy/republicanism, believed in these values and supported such a government, why not? But we're not that far yet. Too many people don't believe in the values of freedom and democracy, and too many people resent each other because of nationalistic and/or religious prejudices.

    For the time being, I believe nation-states, or maybe even multi-national alliances such as the EU (which are based on equal values) are the maximum we can realistically expect to work in reality. But the EU is at its limits already.

    But in theory, expanding the idea of "rule of law, instead law of the stronger" Hobbes outlines on the international scale is not a bad idea. German philosopher Immanuel Kant wrote around 1800 already his treatize "About Eternal Peace" where he outlines such an idea. It's just not feasible for the time being, because you cannot get democracies and autocracies to agree on the same authority, for good reasons.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  2. #1352
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    As I said earlier, I'm not interested in Somalia. The people there have no respect for the rights of others or respect for other's property.


    It's a backward society riddled with crime. I am advocating a civil society in which people respect others and their property.
    That's because they have a weak government with low taxation, which is your ideal. Civil society only happens through the benefit of government laws.

    Can you name a country that has less government and taxation than Somalia???
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #1353
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    If all humans on this planet in all nations were ready for democracy/republicanism, believed in these values and supported such a government, why not? But we're not that far yet. Too many people don't believe in the values of freedom and democracy, and too many people resent each other because of nationalistic and/or religious prejudices.

    For the time being, I believe nation-states, or maybe even multi-national alliances such as the EU (which are based on equal values) are the maximum we can realistically expect to work in reality. But the EU is at its limits already.

    But in theory, expanding the idea of "rule of law, instead law of the stronger" Hobbes outlines on the international scale is not a bad idea. German philosopher Immanuel Kant wrote around 1800 already his treatize "About Eternal Peace" where he outlines such an idea. It's just not feasible for the time being, because you cannot get democracies and autocracies to agree on the same authority, for good reasons.
    So for now, we live in a state of chaos, lacking one binding law for all and one binding power that enforces this law.

    Personally, I find this state of affairs better than one single power that enforces one binding law on all the world's people.

  4. #1354
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    That's because they have a weak government with low taxation, which is your ideal. Civil society only happens through the benefit of government laws.
    I disagree on the causation. It is a corrupt, crime ridden society with no respect for property rights. The introduction of a government would not turn them into Sweden. They are what they are.

  5. #1355
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    So for now, we live in a state of chaos, lacking one binding law for all and one binding power that enforces this law.
    Within our states, we do not. On international scale, between the nation states, we more or less do.

    I am glad the government protects me within my state, by laws, courts and police.

    I'm not so glad nothing of that kind exists on international scale, because in theory, we are under the constant threat of foreign invasion.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  6. #1356
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    I disagree on the causation. It is a corrupt, crime ridden society with no respect for property rights. The introduction of a government would not turn them into Sweden. They are what they are.

    Where are the civil people in the world that could live in perfect harmony without the need for government?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #1357
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Where are the civil people in the world that could live in perfect harmony without the need for government?
    They exist in the mind of the libertarian. Not so much outside of it.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #1358
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Where are the civil people in the world that could live in perfect harmony without the need for government?
    No such thing. There will always be some who refuse to respect the rights of others. Because of them, people need to be able to self-organize in mutual defense.

  9. #1359
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    No such thing. There will always be some who refuse to respect the rights of others. Because of them, people need to be able to self-organize in mutual defense.
    That is exactly what we have done. Its called the United States of America.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #1360
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: which best describes your view of the inheritance tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    No such thing. There will always be some who refuse to respect the rights of others. Because of them, people need to be able to self-organize in mutual defense.
    In which country is this being done???
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •