View Poll Results: Are these guys Socialists too?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...Damn forefathers were nuts

    3 30.00%
  • No...How dare you say such a thing

    4 40.00%
  • Uh...Those are fake letters,and you have a funny hat

    1 10.00%
  • Socialism has evolved since then

    2 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Are these guys Socialists?

  1. #1
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Are these guys Socialists?

    If Obama can be called a Socialist by some...by the same criteria, so must Reagan. But the Ideas go back much further, and are primarily Republican.

    "Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions or property in geometrical progression as they rise. Whenever there are in any country uncultivated lands and unemployed poor, it is clear that the laws of property have been so far extended as to violate natural right. The earth is given as a common stock for man to labor and live on. If for the encouragement of industry we allow it to be appropriated, we must take care that other employment be provided to those excluded from the appropriation." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to James Madison, October 28, 1785

    "I believe it can be sustained, because it does not increase the tax upon the 'many poor' but upon the 'wealthy few' ... If, however, the wealthy should ... complain of the change, ... they are not sufficiently numerous to carry the elections." - Abraham Lincoln, Letter to William S. Wait, March 2, 1839


    Last edited by tecoyah; 01-26-12 at 07:28 PM.

  2. #2
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Are these guys Socialists?

    No....
    Progressive taxation does not make you a socialist.
    But going on some of them users views on this some may say that just because you are in favor of progressive taxation that makes you a socialist... Such ignorance is hysterical.


  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Are these guys Socialists?

    I think people put way too much stock and meaning behind words like "socialist" or "capitalist," probably because they are unable or unwilling to understand the complexities of economic systems or of people's individual positions. It's much easier to label something as socialist(or some other label) and forgo any further study, because if it carries that label than it must be wrong therefore my ignorance is justified because I already know what I'll find if I looked into it further.

    There's certainly no excuse for that kind of behavior.

  4. #4
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Are these guys Socialists?

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    "Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions or property in geometrical progression as they rise. Whenever there are in any country uncultivated lands and unemployed poor, it is clear that the laws of property have been so far extended as to violate natural right. The earth is given as a common stock for man to labor and live on. If for the encouragement of industry we allow it to be appropriated, we must take care that other employment be provided to those excluded from the appropriation." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to James Madison, October 28, 1785
    When Jefferson was making his observations of the poor in Europe, his thoughts were that the poor should have their own plot of land to work and support themselves, if they were unable to find jobs. This isn't quite the same thing as Democrat social welfare policies. He appears to have believed that it was the responsibility of every man to provide for himself, and that he should have a plot of land to toil and labor if he was unemployed.

    "I believe it can be sustained, because it does not increase the tax upon the 'many poor' but upon the 'wealthy few' ... If, however, the wealthy should ... complain of the change, ... they are not sufficiently numerous to carry the elections." - Abraham Lincoln, Letter to William S. Wait, March 2, 1839
    Pretty typical politician, I would say. Just do what you want as long as you have the votes to get re-elected.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    01-09-18 @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    153,358

    Re: Are these guys Socialists?

    Tecoyah's here!!! Good to see you, tec.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #6
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Are these guys Socialists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I think people put way too much stock and meaning behind words like "socialist" or "capitalist," probably because they are unable or unwilling to understand the complexities of economic systems or of people's individual positions. It's much easier to label something as socialist(or some other label) and forgo any further study, because if it carries that label than it must be wrong therefore my ignorance is justified because I already know what I'll find if I looked into it further.

    There's certainly no excuse for that kind of behavior.

    You are giving many too much credit to many for critical thinking. What I've seen a lot of is that many are just informed and accept who their leadership is and 'think' what they are instructed to 'think'.
    Last edited by OhIsee.Then; 01-27-12 at 12:52 PM.

  7. #7
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,404

    Re: Are these guys Socialists?

    When Jefferson was making his observations of the poor in Europe, his thoughts were that the poor should have their own plot of land to work and support themselves, if they were unable to find jobs. This isn't quite the same thing as Democrat social welfare policies. He appears to have believed that it was the responsibility of every man to provide for himself, and that he should have a plot of land to toil and labor if he was unemployed.
    Actually Jefferson was the ultimate socialist in this regard! He wanted every poor person to control their own means of production.
    “People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.”
    *Adam Smith*

  8. #8
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Are these guys Socialists?

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Actually Jefferson was the ultimate socialist in this regard! He wanted every poor person to control their own means of production.
    He wanted them to produce, and did not expect others to produce for them. I have absolutely no problem with that idea.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #9
    User oliveryty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    linyi, shandong, China
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    141
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are these guys Socialists?

    Maybe something labelled "socialism" today has been actually common desire since long ago.
    ----------------------------
    Debate and Vote.

  10. #10
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Are these guys Socialists?

    Quote Originally Posted by oliveryty View Post
    Maybe something labelled "socialism" today has been actually common desire since long ago.
    It's an idea which seems to be desired by those who lack the skills, motivation, or ability to achieve by their own will and input, or by those who have a guilt complex about their own success.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •