View Poll Results: What is GITMO about?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • GITMO is a fine prison.

    26 40.63%
  • GITMO is a fine GULAG.

    10 15.63%
  • The UN is lying.

    23 35.94%
  • GITMO reflects contemporary USA mores.

    21 32.81%
  • GITMO upholds the finest standards of USA Justice.

    21 32.81%
  • GITMO is a continuing embarrassment.

    27 42.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 285

Thread: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

  1. #1
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,299

    United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is 'Clear Breach Of International Law' | ThinkProgress

    "The United States’ continued operation of the Guantanamo Bay prison camp in Cuba is a “clear breach of international law,” United Nations human rights chief Navi Pillay said today, Reuters reports. Only six trials have been completed in 10 years, while eight detainees have died at the prison. “While fully recognizing the right and duty of states to protect their people and territory from terrorist acts, I remind all branches of the U.S. government of their obligation under international human rights law to ensure that individuals deprived of their liberty can have the lawfulness of their detention reviewed before a court,” Pillay said. “Where credible evidence exists against Guantanamo detainees, they should be charged and prosecuted. Otherwise, they must be released.” "

    This short paragraph does cause questions as to the nature of Gitmo. Prison or gulag? Justice?

  2. #2
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,299

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    WE read a lot about GITMO and this presents an opportunity to see how the general populace feels about it, or thinks about it, or doesn't think about it. I definitely agree with the UN especially the quote, “Where credible evidence exists against Guantanamo detainees, they should be charged and prosecuted. Otherwise, they must be released.”

  3. #3
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    WE read a lot about GITMO and this presents an opportunity to see how the general populace feels about it, or thinks about it, or doesn't think about it. I definitely agree with the UN especially the quote, “Where credible evidence exists against Guantanamo detainees, they should be charged and prosecuted. Otherwise, they must be released.”
    I look at Gitmo as a prisoner of war camp. The fact that we give unlawful combatants the same protections as lawful ones is, in my opinion, a gift.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #4
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    None of the polling choices really are representative of what it really is. Didn't vote.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    IMO, its over, the Islamics have made their point. We, like it or not ,must comply.
    "Superpower" means nothing.
    Islam should make their point at the UN General Assembly.
    If they have legitimate grievances, these should be addressed.
    And I think these actions should have occurred years ago, even before 9-11.
    We do have a UN, do we not ?
    So, then we and the world should use it !
    And, I do believe that it was a criminal attack against us, and that, this being the case, the UN can do nothing, including any actions against "GITMO".
    NO VOTE, the choices are really biased and prejudiced.
    Last edited by earthworm; 01-26-12 at 11:30 AM.

  6. #6
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    IMO, its over, the Islamics have made their point. We, like it or not ,must comply.
    "Superpower" means nothing.
    Islam should make their point at the UN General Assembly.
    If they have legitimate grievances, these should be addressed.
    And I think these actions should have occurred years ago, even before 9-11.
    We do have a UN, do we not ?
    So, then we and the world should use it !
    And, I do believe that it was a criminal attack against us, and that, this being the case, the UN can do nothing, including any actions against "GITMO".
    We do have a UN, but it pretty worthless for anything besides soaking up money and meddling into the affairs of sovereign nations. As far as I'm concerned, get rid of the UN completely.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #7
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    I don't outright understand - still - why Gitmo PoW's are inturned in a place separated from the US itself.

    It's illogical - I've always thought it should be shut down and I hoped that, of all the many things Obama did - that he'd manage at least that much.

    So I'm not surprised the UN feels this way - I see it how they see it.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #8
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    We do have a UN, but it pretty worthless for anything besides soaking up money and meddling into the affairs of sovereign nations. As far as I'm concerned, get rid of the UN completely.
    Come on, Lizzie, you aren't giving this most august body a fair shake.

    Without the U.N., how else would a collection of representatives from tin pot dictatorships and knuckle dragging third world hell holes be able to influence public perception by utilizing an appeal to both authority and popularity?

    Heck, and I won't even talk about their excellent track record for elevating the foxes to positions of responsibility vis a vis the chicken coup as is so abundantly apparent by the fine collection of member states making up the UNHRC.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  9. #9
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Come on, Lizzie, you aren't giving this most august body a fair shake.

    Without the U.N., how else would a collection of representatives from tin pot dictatorships and knuckle dragging third world hell holes be able to influence public perception by utilizing an appeal to both authority and popularity?

    Heck, and I won't even talk about their excellent track record for elevating the foxes to positions of responsibility vis a vis the chicken coup as is so abundantly apparent by the fine collection of member states making up the UNHRC.
    Yes- I think they should publish a monthly UN magazine with a dictator-of-the-month centerfold.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #10
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,864

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    I didn't vote in the poll because you didn't have a selection that described Gitmo as an unfortunate necessity brought about by the War on Terror.

    Anyway, in response to Mr. Pillay...perhaps he would accept these prisoners into his own country and, if they are released, he would personally take responsibility and recompense all victims of these terrorist's action.

    If not, then he should just STFU.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •