View Poll Results: What is GITMO about?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • GITMO is a fine prison.

    26 40.63%
  • GITMO is a fine GULAG.

    10 15.63%
  • The UN is lying.

    23 35.94%
  • GITMO reflects contemporary USA mores.

    21 32.81%
  • GITMO upholds the finest standards of USA Justice.

    21 32.81%
  • GITMO is a continuing embarrassment.

    27 42.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 285

Thread: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

  1. #41
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Which is why 77% of the detainees have been released.
    odd, then, the high recidivism rate amongst such innocent characters...

  2. #42
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    odd, then, the high recidivism rate amongst such innocent characters...
    I see then that you acknowledge the inmates without charges. How about that old saw "if they weren't terrorists when they got here, they will be when they leave." That statement a recognition of the harsh treatment of these uncharged "detainees."
    By the way, waterboarding is illegal by the Geneva Conventions, signed by the USA. That'd still be torture.

  3. #43
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    No waterboarding happened in Cuba. And it was only done to three (3) people at all, let alone the "77%". And none has happened since 2003.

    This kind of misinformed blather helps no one's cause.
    I think I would like to see documentation of that. I don't believe in torture. When attempts are made to hide information about torture, you can only assume the worst case because of the suppression of information, unless you live in a Media generated dream world.

  4. #44
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,606

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I think I would like to see documentation of that. I don't believe in torture. When attempts are made to hide information about torture, you can only assume the worst case because of the suppression of information, unless you live in a Media generated dream world.
    The CIA has been releasing documentation on it since 2004. It's all been pretty big news, greatly discussed. If you're going to make bold assertions, you should at least be current with the information.

    How about "documentation" that it's ever been done in Cuba, let alone to everyone who's ever been there, as you say?

    Especially when the FBI and other investigations have found no evidence of mistreatment in Cuba, let alone "torture" or "waterboarding"?

    "Only assuming the worst" is what you choose to do, for your own purposes to suit your own biases, not what any sense of reason or logic requires you to do. I don't know why you want to believe there's been "torture" in Cuba, but apparently, you do.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #45
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,606

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I see then that you acknowledge the inmates without charges.
    Of course they were there without charges. If you understood the difference between war prisoners and criminals, this wouldn't present a problem for you.

    Sadly, you're not the only who doesn't get the distinction.


    By the way, waterboarding is illegal by the Geneva Conventions
    Even if you could show this to be true, which you can't, it's go nothing to do with Cuba, despite your apparent need to believe it does.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #46
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I look at Gitmo as a prisoner of war camp. The fact that we give unlawful combatants the same protections as lawful ones is, in my opinion, a gift.
    Not really possible. A prisoner of war goes home after the war. A never ending war suggests something very different.

    If this is not against any law, it should be. This goes against nearly every value this country has ever professed.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #47
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Reading comprehension problem or something? If you used a nuke on a city you're killing a whole hell of a lot more than just terrorists. Thats where the genocide comes in. Duh.

    ....
    Unless you are trying to systemically exterminate a group based on race, ethnicity, religion, etc, it is just a lot of collateral damage.

    Do I need to repost the definition of genocide?

    .

  8. #48
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not really possible. A prisoner of war goes home after the war. A never ending war suggests something very different.

    If this is not against any law, it should be. This goes against nearly every value this country has ever professed.
    Not only that, but a prisoner of war camp has, well, prisoners of war. Gitmo has "enemy combatants" instead. So, what's the difference? Why, the one is covered by the Geneva accords. The other is a made up phrase that means, "you ain't got no rights, so there!"
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #49
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    No matter how you view it...Gitmo is an illegal (to some) prison, born out of war fear. It has however, been created with the blessing of us all, in the mind of the world. If you do not agree with the premise, that there are times when we must compromise societal health to protect the Ideal which created it....then Gitmo is a bad thing.

    If you are in enough fear (rational or not) that bad people are coming to get us (which they likely are)...then this compromise could become logical.

  10. #50
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    The CIA has been releasing documentation on it since 2004. It's all been pretty big news, greatly discussed. If you're going to make bold assertions, you should at least be current with the information.

    How about "documentation" that it's ever been done in Cuba, let alone to everyone who's ever been there, as you say?

    Especially when the FBI and other investigations have found no evidence of mistreatment in Cuba, let alone "torture" or "waterboarding"?

    "Only assuming the worst" is what you choose to do, for your own purposes to suit your own biases, not what any sense of reason or logic requires you to do. I don't know why you want to believe there's been "torture" in Cuba, but apparently, you do.
    When you believe info from the CIA, you are the victim and they are the perpetrators, or perps as your local gendarme might say. You better read the poll "The CIA and the Media" in the POLLS forum.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •