View Poll Results: What is GITMO about?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • GITMO is a fine prison.

    26 40.63%
  • GITMO is a fine GULAG.

    10 15.63%
  • The UN is lying.

    23 35.94%
  • GITMO reflects contemporary USA mores.

    21 32.81%
  • GITMO upholds the finest standards of USA Justice.

    21 32.81%
  • GITMO is a continuing embarrassment.

    27 42.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 285

Thread: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

  1. #141
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I just want to be clear, do you favor thier value or ours? Should we change, or try to live by our ideals?
    What you're not "clear" on is that Camp Delta has nothing to do with that.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #142
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't expect different. But this is your dodge, not mine.
    OK, now you're just being an 8 year-old.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #143
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    What you're not "clear" on is that Camp Delta has nothing to do with that.
    Doesn't it? Are they our values or not?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #144
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Doesn't it? Are they our values or not?
    Son, if you can't grasp the difference between prisoners taken in war and domestic prisoners arrested for criminal offenses, and why pretending they're the same is stupid and suicidal, that really and truly is not my problem. Just because you fail to see the difference does not mean there isn't one, and for grave and serious reasons.

    Throughout the thread I've explained the differences, among other things, so I've said all I have to say about it.

    But rest assured, the stubborn ignorance on the matter is entirely yours. If you wish to remain in that state, that choice, too, is entirely yours.

    So, make your snarky comment, add your coffeepap, and tell yourself you've scored some huge Internet victory, but I'm done with you in this thread.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #145
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,607

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Those were prisoners of war (i.e., they had the status).

    And that didn't happen in Cuba.

    And it was a crime for which US soldiers (including the one in the picture) were punished, having not one thing to do with the prisoners' legal status.

    This issue is contentious enough without confusing it by using examples which do not apply.

    So, do you have an actual answer, or don't you?
    I think you're wrong on both counts, but nevertheless, there are plenty of examples of the same thing that did happen at GITMO. Here's one
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #146
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,607

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Ummm, I don't think so unless I missed Al Qaeda signing that document also.
    I've already looked, but you can read it for yourself:

    (emphasis added)


    We did.

    Are we, or are we not better than Al Qaeda?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #147
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I think you're wrong on both counts, but nevertheless, there are plenty of examples of the same thing that did happen at GITMO. Here's one
    As it happens, I may be wrong about the prisoner of war status of all the prisoners at Abu Ghraib; some of them were, but apparently not all.

    Still, as I said, the abuses were crimes in their own right; they had nothing to do with their legal status, and the perpetrators were tried, convicted, and punished.

    In any case, your link doesn't show or even allege anything which even approaches the crimes at Abu Ghraib, and if they happened, they're being officially investigated as misconduct. This isn't showing anything like us claiming to have a free hand to do whatever we want because they have no legal status. In fact, the incidents show the contrary.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #148
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Son, if you can't grasp the difference between prisoners taken in war and domestic prisoners arrested for criminal offenses, and why pretending they're the same is stupid and suicidal, that really and truly is not my problem. Just because you fail to see the difference does not mean there isn't one, and for grave and serious reasons.

    Throughout the thread I've explained the differences, among other things, so I've said all I have to say about it.

    But rest assured, the stubborn ignorance on the matter is entirely yours. If you wish to remain in that state, that choice, too, is entirely yours.

    So, make your snarky comment, add your coffeepap, and tell yourself you've scored some huge Internet victory, but I'm done with you in this thread.
    A cab driver is not a soldier. He just isn't. And we are nto at war with any country. We're not. Nor is there anything sucidial about following rule of law and living by our ideals. al Qaeda, nor anyone like them, even if they all combined, have any chance of beating us. So there is no scare tactic that sugegsts we abandon our values. Our survival is not at stake.

    We invaded a country, and people fired at us. Shocking. But we were never at war with Iraq or Afghanstan. neithe rattacked us. Neither declared war. And both countries have already been defeated and occupied. We've talking about individuals. Around the world, who belong to groups. Pitting a nation against a small group and calling it war, while highly up lifting to the group's ego we're fighting, is silly. nad then to pretend it is sucicidal to follow rule of law is even worse than silly.

    But, our issue of dispute is not the difference between POWs and criminals. Our despute is about whether we can declare anyone, any people, outside the law, giving us freedonm to do whatever we want. I say we are responsible to and for the agreements we sign. To abandon them, our actual survival has to be at stake. Such is not the case in this conflict. ANd when you declare war against a people who belong to no nation, and as such have no uniform, you can't claim they are breaking the rules of war by not having a uniform, another silly point made by those who support not following rule of law.

    I realize it helps you to ignore where our dispute really is, to focus on something we'r enot really discussing. I'm familiar with the tactic. But, ask any question you like, and I'll try and answer. Or do as you're done and pretend you don't need to answer ****.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #149
    Transcend~
    Empirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost at Sea
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,662

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Reported? Do you believe everything reported? The fact is, no verifiable example has ever been given. And what examples were given proved false. So, why would anyone believe the claim?
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    The mighty "Wurlitzer" that cranked out the Saddam has WMDs, Saddam is huge threat, Saddam has yellowcake from Niger, and other choreographed lies is the same mighty "Wurlitzer" that reported waterboarding to have saved American lives. If you need to know about the "mighty Wurlitzer" read the thread "The CIA and the Media" in the Polls forum. I guarantee it to be illucidating.
    Let's suppose the sources that convinced you of this were reliable and absolutely no useful information was ever obtained from waterboarding these POWs, then why were so many subjected to it, so many times and for so many years?

    Were the military and intelligence people who performed these waterboardings too stupid to realize this technic failed to serve it's purpose or were they cruel sadistic sociopaths who simply enjoyed to make others suffer or possibly some reason I have overlooked?
    When a crime is ignored ~ it becomes flagrant;
    When a crime is rewarded ~ it becomes epidemic:

    No Amnesty No Exception

  10. #150
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: United Nations: U.S. Operation Of Gitmo Is ‘Clear Breach Of International Law’

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    Let's suppose the sources that convinced you of this were reliable and absolutely no useful information was ever obtained from waterboarding these POWs, then why were so many subjected to it, so many times and for so many years?

    Were the military and intelligence people who performed these waterboardings too stupid to realize this technic failed to serve it's purpose or were they cruel sadistic sociopaths who simply enjoyed to make others suffer or possibly some reason I have overlooked?
    It's very good for confessions. They will confess to anything.

    But human nature is such that we do convince ourselves based on ideaology what we want to be true. I would never say we never got anything, as I don't know that to be true. A mean a stopped clock is right twice a day. but we know, have absolutely verfiiable evidence that we got misinformation and acted on it. See al Libi. We do not kow the same concerning valid information. As it is unreliable, and as likely to be false as true, and that there are more effective methods for gaining real information, reliable information, there is really no need to use torture, waterboarding or any other.

    I also argue it harms the person who performs the torture, one way or another. This is about our values, and effectivenss. It fails our values first and for most. But it also offers so much room for limiting our efectiveness that it even fails there. because we had leaders who both misunderstood what was before them, and bought into a less effective method, but also we willing to dismiss our core values doesn't mean them doing it is proof enoyugh that it was effective. We need actual evidence, and the long standing litature (remember torture is not new) repeatedly reports that torture is unreliable, and thus ineffective, unless what you really want is a confession, by someone, regardless of actual guilt. You'll get a confession.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •