View Poll Results: The economy would be better if more people respected copyright law. Agree/disagree

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree. Respect people's copyrights. Pay for what you use.

    13 44.83%
  • Disagree. In the digital age, people should get to copy what they want.

    16 55.17%
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 142

Thread: The economy would be better if more people respected copyright law. Agree/disagree

  1. #91
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: The economy would be better if more people respected copyright law. Agree/disagr

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    Nothing else in our society works that way.
    You mean like musicians, prints of artist's paintings, software developers?

    If anything, I think novelists aren't paid nearly well enough for the work they put into it. A very large number are superior in caliber to Stephen King, for instance, but must maintain "a real job" just to keep going.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  2. #92
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: The economy would be better if more people respected copyright law. Agree/disagr

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    You mean like musicians, prints of artist's paintings, software developers?

    If anything, I think novelists aren't paid nearly well enough for the work they put into it. A very large number are superior in caliber to Stephen King, for instance, but must maintain "a real job" just to keep going.
    Stephen King "hit it" and I actually like his work. What I do not like is it becoming the end end all and be all of horror. But hey that is how industry works. Kill the competition.

  3. #93
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The economy would be better if more people respected copyright law. Agree/disagr

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    You mean like musicians, prints of artist's paintings, software developers?
    Those are all the same thing. What I mean is, even people who manage rental properties-- the definition of rent-seeking-- have to continue investing work and capital in order to maintain their income.

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    If anything, I think novelists aren't paid nearly well enough for the work they put into it.
    Hey, I can sympathize with that.

  4. #94
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The economy would be better if more people respected copyright law. Agree/disagr

    I didn't vote because your choices were sorely lacking.

    I disagree for the simple fact that compared to other things copyright infringement of the kind that is normally done on the internet (books, movies, music) only affects minor industries. Those industries are industries that do not make this country run.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #95
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: The economy would be better if more people respected copyright law. Agree/disagr

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I didn't vote because your choices were sorely lacking.

    I disagree for the simple fact that compared to other things copyright infringement of the kind that is normally done on the internet (books, movies, music) only affects minor industries. Those industries are industries that do not make this country run.
    Ever hear of cultural imperialism? Why do you think the world over people from China to France to India recognize Micky Mouse?

  6. #96
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: The economy would be better if more people respected copyright law. Agree/disagr

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I disagree for the simple fact that compared to other things copyright infringement of the kind that is normally done on the internet (books, movies, music) only affects minor industries. Those industries are industries that do not make this country run.
    I think the question of the original OP was whether or not piracy was harming the economy. For me, the answer is an emphatic, NO! That would be like thinking a mosquito bite could knock a Clydesdale unconscious.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  7. #97
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: The economy would be better if more people respected copyright law. Agree/disagr

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I didn't vote because your choices were sorely lacking.

    I disagree for the simple fact that compared to other things copyright infringement of the kind that is normally done on the internet (books, movies, music) only affects minor industries. Those industries are industries that do not make this country run.
    No offense but what do you call a "minor industry"? There are hundreds of thousands of people in this country who are employed directly or indirectly because of those minor industries. Just a simple example:

    1 movie/show production employs - carpenters, drivers, caterers, assistants at every level, sound engineers etc. I'm not even counting all the other menial things that aren't ever included in the credits. Now multiply this by the hundreds of studio productions that go on every year on both coasts. What is "minor" about it?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #98
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: The economy would be better if more people respected copyright law. Agree/disagr

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    I think the question of the original OP was whether or not piracy was harming the economy. For me, the answer is an emphatic, NO! That would be like thinking a mosquito bite could knock a Clydesdale unconscious.
    I think it has given more control to the powers that control distribution than any time in history and marginalized artists.

    It is industry run amok.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: The economy would be better if more people respected copyright law. Agree/disagr

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    Nothing else in our society works that way.
    Which commercially sold product in this country can you simply take advantage of without paying for it first? Lets just take for example C.S. Lewis? Can you simply take one of his books from a shelf without paying for it because he's been dead for 50 years? Obviously you wouldn't walk into a book store and take one of those books there regardless of how long the author has been deceased. So what's so different about doing the same thing with IP? That's what people who defend the theft of IP can't seem to answer. If they wouldn't steal the physical representation of the works, what makes stealing the digital version any less of a theft?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: The economy would be better if more people respected copyright law. Agree/disagr

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Which commercially sold product in this country can you simply take advantage of without paying for it first? Lets just take for example C.S. Lewis? Can you simply take one of his books from a shelf without paying for it because he's been dead for 50 years? Obviously you wouldn't walk into a book store and take one of those books there regardless of how long the author has been deceased. So what's so different about doing the same thing with IP? That's what people who defend the theft of IP can't seem to answer. If they wouldn't steal the physical representation of the works, what makes stealing the digital version any less of a theft?
    Screw that what about a Snickers bar? or even an image of it!

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •