View Poll Results: If a person smears a Christian as a "homophobe," should that person returh fire?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. If they call you a homophobe you should be able to comment on their morals/etc.

    5 16.67%
  • No, they shouldn't return fire because they deserve it.

    1 3.33%
  • Simply ignore the smears and continue debating.

    3 10.00%
  • How about we show some respect and NOT smear eachother?

    16 53.33%
  • Don't know/Other

    5 16.67%
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 222

Thread: Slander in Politics

  1. #101
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Slander in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    What are you talking about? I'm explaining why the "hate the sin, love the sinner" line doesn't hold water.
    By declaring it it is wrong. You claim the Christian is bigoted, by which you mean wrong and prejudiced, because it is wrong.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 01-22-12 at 08:52 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  2. #102
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Slander in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    By declaring it it is wrong. You claim the Christian is bigotry, by which you mean wrong and prejudiced, because it is wrong.
    "The Christian is bigotry"? What does that mean? I claim that anybody who denegrates another demographic group is engaging in bigotry regardless of what rationalization they've cooked up. What they're thinking isn't really relevant, it's what they do and say that matters.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Slander in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    I don't consider "homophobe" an insult, just an observation.
    There are many things I can say about liberals, and when they take offense to it, call it an "observation."
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Yeah. Right.
    RE: "Yeah. Right."
    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Not quite.Assuming for a moment that it's possible to simply view homosexuality as a sin without all that other stuff. Plenty of Christians (but not all) view it as a sin AND display an irrational fear/contempt/hatred for homosexuals.
    Wrong. Plenty of them don't. Christians hate the sin, not the sinner. The Bible clearly states to hate the sin and not the sinner. So no, don't try to twist this around and say "plenty" of Christian have an "irrational" fear, or that they hate Christians. You're wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    I don't think anybody cares what rationalizations somebody has going through their heads when they engage in hate speech. Bigotry is bigotry. I'm sure back in slavery times there were tons of slave owners who told themselves that slavery was in the best interests of the slaves. Doesn't make it any more acceptable.
    Don't try to equate being a Christian who views it as a sin as engaging in hate speech/bigotry. Your kind of sick reasoning is what gives liberals a bad rap.

  4. #104
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Slander in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Don't try to equate being a Christian who views it as a sin as engaging in hate speech/bigotry. Your kind of sick reasoning is what gives liberals a bad rap.
    If they want to sit there and think it's a sin, they're free to do so to their heart's content and I have no issue with that. By all means, they're totally free to avoid engaging in sex with their own gender. Obviously.

    Now, if they start going around lashing out at others and trying to impose their judgments on other people by supporting bans on same sex marriage or by spreading hate speech or whatever, then they are most definitely engaging in bigotry. Doesn't matter what religion they are. Religion isn't some kind of shield that removes a person's responsibility for their actions.

  5. #105
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Slander in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    "The Christian is bigotry"? What does that mean? I claim that anybody who denegrates another demographic group is engaging in bigotry regardless of what rationalization they've cooked up. What they're thinking isn't really relevant, it's what they do and say that matters.
    Sorry I don't proofread my posts and frequently edit and rearrange them without paying enough attention to make sure they still make sense as a whole.

    But you prove my point. Your conclusion is it is wrong for Christians to treat homosexuality as it if it is immoral and your premise is that homosexuality is not immoral. It is question begging on your part.

    The demographic point is meaningless, if we class robbers as a demographic it doesn't mean we are bigoted to treat them as immoral.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Slander in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    What are you talking about? I'm explaining why the "hate the sin, love the sinner" line doesn't hold water.
    For a San Fransisco liberal, you certainly are being close-minded. You don't understand Christianity because you're ignorant, thus you can't understand "hate the sin, not the sinner," which is one of the hallmarks of Christianity. Instead, your wires are crossed, and you equate the Christian scriptures that state homosexuality is a sin to "bigotry, hate, hate speech, whatever." Liberals speak of being understanding, yet your behavior and inability to understand/respect Christianity/Christians betrays your cause. What next? Will you call me a woman-hater for being against prostitution? Or maybe try to jab me with "bigoted prude" for being against fornication. Your hypocrisy betrays what liberals claim to be about.

  7. #107
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Slander in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Your conclusion is it is wrong for Christians to treat homosexuality as it if it is immoral and your premise is that homosexuality is not immoral. It is question begging on your part.
    They certainly are free to treat homosexuality as though they think it is immoral. By all means. Nobody has ever proposed anything that would require them to engage in homosexual acts or even say that they think it is moral or anything. They just can't go around trying to hurt people or deny people rights because they don't approve of their sexual orientation. To do so would be bigotry plain and simple.

  8. #108
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Slander in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    For a San Fransisco liberal, you certainly are being close-minded. You don't understand Christianity because you're ignorant, thus you can't understand "hate the sin, not the sinner," which is one of the hallmarks of Christianity. Instead, your wires are crossed, and you equate the Christian scriptures that state homosexuality is a sin to "bigotry, hate, hate speech, whatever." Liberals speak of being understanding, yet your behavior and inability to understand/respect Christianity/Christians betrays your cause. What next? Will you call me a woman-hater for being against prostitution? Or maybe try to jab me with "bigoted prude" for being against fornication. Your hypocrisy betrays what liberals claim to be about.
    You are just completely ignoring the central distinction. If they want to believe whatever they want, that's fine by me. I only consider it bigotry when they start to lash out to try to hurt people for being different than them or trying to deny equal rights to groups of people that are different than them. Again, I do not care what they think, I care what they do.

  9. #109
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Slander in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    They certainly are free to treat homosexuality as though they think it is immoral. By all means. Nobody has ever proposed anything that would require them to engage in homosexual acts or even say that they think it is moral or anything. They just can't go around trying to hurt people or deny people rights because they don't approve of their sexual orientation. To do so would be bigotry plain and simple.
    Why? You are simply begging the question by assuming the Christian is wrong. If practicing homosexuality is immoral and is morally inferior to heterosexuality then this totally changes whether or not the Christian is wrong.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  10. #110
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Slander in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Why? You are simply begging the question by assuming the Christian is wrong. If practicing homosexuality is immoral and is morally inferior to heterosexuality then this totally changes whether or not the Christian is wrong.
    It is totally irrelevant whether Christianity is "wrong" or not. That has nothing to do with anything. Maybe some people think it is immoral not to give 50% of your income to hunger relief. Certainly a very compelling case can be made that saving a child from starvation is more important than that starbucks no fat latte, right? Does that mean that we should go around passing laws punishing people who don't give 50% of their income to hunger relief and whatnot?

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •