View Poll Results: Should “equal opportunity” = free (gov funded) college to those who can complete it?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 28.33%
  • No

    43 71.67%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 135

Thread: Should “equal opportunity” mean free college?

  1. #21
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    358

    Re: Should “equal opportunity” mean free college?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Is your screen name from I Love Lucy??
    It is I watch I Love Lucy at least a couple of times a week.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should “equal opportunity” mean free college?

    Nope, and I would suggest the OP learn the difference between opportunity and entitlement.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Should “equal opportunity” mean free college?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertz View Post
    We're moving pretty far into the abstract at this point; what is a 'societal' need? I assume you would consider college to be one of them, with all of the assumptions made about cost-effectiveness.

    But the balance is naturally occurring, assuming that the few individual rights are being fully protected. The job of the government should not be to define societal needs. Government represents and protects individuals, not societies. Those individuals create and define society. That is how they are linked. Not through government.
    The job of the government is to provide for societal need as a well working society is essential to a government's survival. What you're saying is that it's your job to defend your house, but not to make sure the people living in it have food to eat. It's nonsensical to say the least.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should “equal opportunity” mean free college?

    In a perfect and functional world and society, the list you could put under "job of the government" would be incredibly small.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Should “equal opportunity” mean free college?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    In a perfect and functional world and society, the list you could put under "job of the government" would be incredibly small.
    Then you agree that it is a government's job to provide for societal needs in order to just survive?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should “equal opportunity” mean free college?

    Some societal needs, yes. All of them? No.

    This creates the nanny state we currently live in and would love to see abolished.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Should “equal opportunity” mean free college?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Some societal needs, yes. All of them? No.

    This creates the nanny state we currently live in and would love to see abolished.
    Then we partially agree. I think it's impossible to maintain a well working society without a government that takes an active interest in maintaining it. This is what I think fredmetz is arguing for. I doubt anybody wants a "nanny state" or even knows what a nanny state looks like. Even Scandinavian countries would have a hard time believing that they are "nanny states" simply because their concept of social contracts are radically different than ours. They see it as important that they pay taxes in order for their way of life to survive. The American right sees most taxes as some form of theft regardless of the purpose it serves. This is illogical and a dangerous state of mind to live in.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #28
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should “equal opportunity” mean free college?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertz View Post
    We're moving pretty far into the abstract at this point; what is a 'societal' need? I assume you would consider college to be one of them, with all of the assumptions made about cost-effectiveness.

    But the balance is naturally occurring, assuming that the few individual rights are being fully protected. The job of the government should not be to define societal needs. Government represents and protects individuals, not societies. Those individuals create and define society. That is how they are linked. Not through government.
    The societal need would be progress through invention of better things, systems, processes, efficiencies, and all the stuff that education allows us to do that improves our quality of life.

    I disagree, the government has a pivotal role in promoting and building things deemed as the commons, such as infrastructure.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Should “equal opportunity” mean free college?

    I chose "NO". I do not believe that the Federal Government should be involved in Education at any level; nor should there be State owned/run colleges. I am totally against the idea that "everyone should go to college". In fact, I believe that idea is seriously hurting our society these days. If I had any male children I'd be suggesting trade school to them. Much less expensive, and most of those fields will never go out of demand (plumbing, HVAC, auto repair, Drafting, construction, etc...).

  10. #30
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Should “equal opportunity” mean free college?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I chose "NO". I do not believe that the Federal Government should be involved in Education at any level; nor should there be State owned/run colleges. I am totally against the idea that "everyone should go to college". In fact, I believe that idea is seriously hurting our society these days. If I had any male children I'd be suggesting trade school to them. Much less expensive, and most of those fields will never go out of demand (plumbing, HVAC, auto repair, Drafting, construction, etc...).
    ... You must have really low hopes for your children. Most parents encourage their kids to go out there and become architects, engineers, doctors etc. You tell yours to become plumbers? Seriously?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •