View Poll Results: Should information be free?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • All information should be free (i.e. paid for with tax dollars)

    11 47.83%
  • People should be able to vote regarding what types of information should be free

    0 0%
  • 3. Only info related to social sciences and human biology/medicine should be free to the public

    4 17.39%
  • No information should be free unless the publisher/owner allows it

    8 34.78%
  • Everyone should have to pay for all types of information

    0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: Should knowledge be free?

  1. #31
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,565

    Re: Should knowledge be free?

    The Internet as it is today...is the single most important tool against governments that's ever existed in human history. What's that worth to you?

  2. #32
    Revolutionary
    TNAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,018
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Should knowledge be free?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer
    … the opinion based on the results of certain studies - in science, we know nothing, theories can only be supported or disproved, never proved and thus there are never any true "facts" … Why shouldn't we be allowed access to the original documents that lead such sites, like Mayo Clinic, to list said info?
    I think I understand what you are saying in this particular context. Suppose you conducted some intensive research into various causes of a particular disease or into solutions for some mechanical problem. Would you not want to be compensated for your efforts? You certainly have the option to release your study free-of-charge since you are the original owner but it is also your right to withhold that information. So in this specific regard I think we disagree.

    However, once you publish your findings (for fee or gratis) it becomes part of the common domain and ought to be freely distributed as those who possess this information see fit. For instance, if you discover a really great way to cure ugliness and you tell your three closest friends, they now have the ability to release this information to others without affecting the effectiveness of your cure or your idea.

    On the other hand, certain companies exist solely to distribute what is otherwise “free” information. Take Google for instance. Google makes money by distributing freely available information as well as pointing you in the right direction to information you must pay for.

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer
    …libraries only allow you to access certain articles, other, groundbreaking or contradictory articles are often not available unless one pays for them ... it's an academic sort of regulation/suppression
    Definitely. In many cases this is simply market forces at work. It costs money for the library to retain all of that material so it is only natural that they attempt to recoup some of their costs. At the same time, I find it pretty ridiculous that you cannot make a photocopy of a book and let your friends borrow it.

  3. #33
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Should knowledge be free?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    You stacked the deck, so I am not voting. Thank you..
    Your welcome - I believe I stated (and I quote) "To broaden this issue" ... and I broadened it ... this was for discussion purposes ... not voting purposes

  4. #34
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Should knowledge be free?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    The Internet as it is today...is the single most important tool against governments that's ever existed in human history. What's that worth to you?
    What's it worth to you? Would you say priceless?

  5. #35
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Should knowledge be free?

    Quote Originally Posted by TNAR View Post
    I think I understand what you are saying in this particular context. Suppose you conducted some intensive research into various causes of a particular disease or into solutions for some mechanical problem. Would you not want to be compensated for your efforts? You certainly have the option to release your study free-of-charge since you are the original owner but it is also your right to withhold that information. So in this specific regard I think we disagree.
    Actually, I am for being compensated for research efforts, very much so

    Quote Originally Posted by TNAR View Post
    However, once you publish your findings (for fee or gratis) it becomes part of the common domain and ought to be freely distributed as those who possess this information see fit. For instance, if you discover a really great way to cure ugliness and you tell your three closest friends, they now have the ability to release this information to others without affecting the effectiveness of your cure or your idea.
    Again, not seeing any disagreement

    Quote Originally Posted by TNAR View Post
    On the other hand, certain companies exist solely to distribute what is otherwise “free” information. Take Google for instance. Google makes money by distributing freely available information as well as pointing you in the right direction to information you must pay for.
    I am totally for this

    Quote Originally Posted by TNAR View Post
    Definitely. In many cases this is simply market forces at work. It costs money for the library to retain all of that material so it is only natural that they attempt to recoup some of their costs. At the same time, I find it pretty ridiculous that you cannot make a photocopy of a book and let your friends borrow it.
    Right ... so here's where things can get interesting ... who is to decide which articles should be bought and which ones should not? Which ones should be available to the public? Which should not?

  6. #36
    Revolutionary
    TNAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,018
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Should knowledge be free?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer
    Right ... so here's where things can get interesting ... who is to decide which articles should be bought and which ones should not? Which ones should be available to the public? Which should not?
    The owner. But the real question is who is the owner?

    If you do the research, you are the owner as we established earlier. Once you publish that paper, however, it becomes public domain and other people may now become owners of copies of your work. They, in turn, ought to be allowed the choice to offer your information for a fee or without charge.

    I like what the Creative Commons organization is doing with copyrights. It is much more agreeable and I think encourages innovation and sharing.

  7. #37
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Should knowledge be free?

    Quote Originally Posted by TNAR View Post
    The owner. But the real question is who is the owner?

    If you do the research, you are the owner as we established earlier. Once you publish that paper, however, it becomes public domain and other people may now become owners of copies of your work. They, in turn, ought to be allowed the choice to offer your information for a fee or without charge.

    I like what the Creative Commons organization is doing with copyrights. It is much more agreeable and I think encourages innovation and sharing.
    I think we're on different pages here ...

    I agree with what you are saying ... however, I am asking questions related to what is best for a knowledgeable society (society includes the owner and his/her profits)

  8. #38
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,705

    Re: Should knowledge be free?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    So what option did you pick? Or which would be closest to what you believe? Do you believe we should have informed or ignorant voters?
    I prefer something much like the status quo, which is not really represented on your board of options. We have a government that declares what is to be considered public domain, but we also have copyright laws and a market system that compensates content providers or authors in means which typically are more in line with their wishes than that of the masses.

    We can have informed voters, but we cannot allow the masses to dictate that, for instance, the academic, provide his insight pro bono.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 01-19-12 at 02:01 AM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #39
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Should knowledge be free?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I prefer something much like the status quo
    A very conservative stance ... unfortunately things cannot change for the better if change is not realized

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    We can have informed voters
    We do? Hm... I smell another poll brewing ... then again .... you are right, our voters are "informed" .... however, the adequacy of their knowledge is questionable

  10. #40
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,705

    Re: Should knowledge be free?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    A very conservative stance ... unfortunately things cannot change for the better if change is not realized



    We do? Hm... I smell another poll brewing ... then again .... you are right, our voters are "informed" .... however, the adequacy of their knowledge is questionable
    1) Says you and your poll. Modifications can occur, but I do not advocate broad strokes like are your options.

    2) Their knowledge is questionable because they have their own specialties to worry about.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •