View Poll Results: If America banned the Second Ammendment tomorrow what would you do?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Join a violent revolution

    25 28.09%
  • Start a National Petition to repeal the act

    21 23.60%
  • Move out the Country

    3 3.37%
  • Celebrate

    5 5.62%
  • Go on with my life and comply with the new law

    19 21.35%
  • Other - state opinion below

    16 17.98%
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 283

Thread: If America banned the Second Ammendment tomorrow what would you do?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: If America banned the Second Ammendment tomorrow what would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    In all seriousness, though, if the US successfully banned personal firearms, and there was no real hope of getting them back, I would become a citizen of Israel and renounce my US citizenship.
    Whereas I would have died when they came to take my guns, and more than likely a couple of them would be on their way to Hel right beside me.

  2. #22
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: If America banned the Second Ammendment tomorrow what would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Justice For All View Post
    Personally if this happened I wouldn't consider it America anymore, so I'd probably go with violent revolution.
    Join a violent revolution.The 2nd amendment exist so that the people can overthrow the government should it ever become to tyrannical. If they take away one constitutional right then nothing would stop them taking away the first amendment. In a sensethe 1st amendment exists so we can criticize and speak out against the government and the 2nd amendment exists so we can put the government in it's place should it step way out of line.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 01-16-12 at 11:23 AM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #23
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: If America banned the Second Ammendment tomorrow what would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I have already explained to you the process of overriding a portion of the Constitution like the current Second Amendment. 2/3 of both houses of Congress then the ratification by 3/4 of the individual state legislatures.
    And as I stated, it does not require repealing the SA; only that it be reinterpreted. Maybe you don't understand your system as well as you think.

    .

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,698

    Re: If America banned the Second Ammendment tomorrow what would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    And as I stated, it does not require repealing the SA; only that it be reinterpreted. Maybe you don't understand your system as well as you think.



    .
    We strongly differ on that. In this nation today, you cannot even get small changes in gun laws because of the political environment. Wholesale slaughter takes place with nationwide publicity and nobody even introduces a law in reaction to it. The pendulum has swung that far the other way. The idea that you are going to completely ban guns through a mere court decision in the face of the Second Amendment and the support for it is simply a denial of political reality.

    This is just the kind of political paranoia that is pushed by the NRA and others to keep the memberships rolling in and them well funded.
    Last edited by haymarket; 01-16-12 at 11:52 AM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #25
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,608

    Re: If America banned the Second Ammendment tomorrow what would you do?

    Even if your scenario were somehow possible (and it is not)...the worst that could happen would be that the states would be left to decide and the vast majority of states still cede to private gun ownership.

    The states HAVE managed to prove that gun bans dont work. Criminals that are already not 'allowed' to have firearms have shown no problem in getting firearms. They ship them in on the crate...next to the banned illegal drugs.

    I suspect that most thinking adults (even those that are not gun owners) would rebel pretty quickly against this. The implication being that 1 of the original building blocks of the Bill of Rights would be eliminated without the voice and consent of the citizens of this country. How much would that put 'at-risk' the other 9?

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: If America banned the Second Ammendment tomorrow what would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    This is just the kind of political paranoia that is pushed by the NRA and others to keep the memberships rolling in and them well funded.
    Obviously you don't spend a lot of time looking at the gun laws in MA, CA, NYC, Chicago, Washington DC, etc.... There are MANY places that would look to implement full and complete bans on private gun ownership the moment they felt they would be able to get away with it. Look at how quickly the residents of Scotland and Australia lost their ability to own most firearms. Obviously they did not have a Constitutional guarantee of the Right, but considering the current makeup of the American citizenry I can see the potential for it to happen here; and I find it quite disgusting.

  7. #27
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: If America banned the Second Ammendment tomorrow what would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    We strongly differ on that. In this nation today, you cannot even get small changes in gun laws because of the political environment. Wholesale slaughter takes place with nationwide publicity and nobody even introduces a law in reaction to it. The pendulum has swung that far the other way. The idea that you are going to completely ban guns through a mere court decision in the face of the Second Amendment and the support for it is simply a denial of political reality.

    This is just the kind of political paranoia that is pushed by the NRA and others to keep the memberships rolling in and them well funded.
    Do you not read posts to which you are responding or is it a comprehension problem?

    As I stated before, I have not said it would happen in the current envionment. I've only posited that repealing the SA is not necessary for the USA government to ban private citizens from owning guns. Many USA citizens already believe the SA only applies to militas.

    .

  8. #28
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: If America banned the Second Ammendment tomorrow what would you do?

    Ban the notion that a well-regulated militia is necessary for the for the security of a free state?

    I can't imagine getting rid of that, myself.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,698

    Re: If America banned the Second Ammendment tomorrow what would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Obviously you don't spend a lot of time looking at the gun laws in MA, CA, NYC, Chicago, Washington DC, etc.... There are MANY places that would look to implement full and complete bans on private gun ownership the moment they felt they would be able to get away with it. Look at how quickly the residents of Scotland and Australia lost their ability to own most firearms. Obviously they did not have a Constitutional guarantee of the Right, but considering the current makeup of the American citizenry I can see the potential for it to happen here; and I find it quite disgusting.
    So in those places that you mentioned in the USA, there were complete and full bans on private gun ownership?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,698

    Re: If America banned the Second Ammendment tomorrow what would you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    Do you not read posts to which you are responding or is it a comprehension problem?

    As I stated before, I have not said it would happen in the current envionment. I've only posited that repealing the SA is not necessary for the USA government to ban private citizens from owning guns. Many USA citizens already believe the SA only applies to militas.

    .
    And I completely and utterly disagree. We are not talking about a right that was invented by a court - abortion rights let us say - we are talking about the Second Amendment and the Right to Bear Arms. The only way to bring in a total and complete ban on private gun ownership in the USA would be to repeal the Second Amendment with a new constitutional amendment. And I cannot envision the type of political environment that would need to be created to make that possible.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •