View Poll Results: Same-Sex Marriage, How long till it's legal

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-5 Years

    24 43.64%
  • 5-10 Years

    14 25.45%
  • 10-15 Years

    3 5.45%
  • 15-20 Years

    4 7.27%
  • 20-25 Years

    0 0%
  • 25+ Years

    2 3.64%
  • Never

    8 14.55%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 178

Thread: Same-Sex Marriage, How long till it's legal

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Same-Sex Marriage, How long till it's legal

    Quote Originally Posted by MaddieGreenwell View Post
    I respect your point of view, but I will never understand this.
    Some of us believe more in our Morals, Values, and Principles than we do in the ideas of Freedom or Liberty. I understand that's not a very popular concept in this country anymore, but there are still some of us who see the world that way.

  2. #12
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Same-Sex Marriage, How long till it's legal

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    The thing is though, is that it's a state's rights issue. Marriage isn't mentioned in the constitution nor is sexuality mentioned. there is the equal protection clause, but that doesn't prevent states from legally defining marriage between a male husband and female wife. I highly doubt that all the states will legalize gay marriage. At best the Supreme Court could force states to legally recognize gay marriages performed in states where it is legal.
    But the point is that can change by the supreme court if its ruled unconstitutional by referring to discrimination and equal rights just like interracial marriage.

    And even if it did happen your way and all states had to recognize the marriages but didnt have to perform them, that would be pointless IMO. Just go across the border, get married then come back and you still get equal rights
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #13
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Same-Sex Marriage, How long till it's legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Some of us believe more in our Morals, Values, and Principles than we do in the ideas of Freedom or Liberty. I understand that's not a very popular concept in this country anymore, but there are still some of us who see the world that way.
    it never was, thats not america
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Same-Sex Marriage, How long till it's legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    it never was, thats not america
    I disagree, substantially. Then again my relatives were involved in LYNCHING a Tory in Essex, CT after the American Revolution because he refused to either swear allegiance to the US Government or to leave the country. This nation was founded on the concept of morals, values, and principles. We've now let those things wane and we're worse off for it.

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,958

    Re: Same-Sex Marriage, How long till it's legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    But the point is that can change by the supreme court if its ruled unconstitutional by referring to discrimination and equal rights just like interracial marriage.

    And even if it did happen your way and all states had to recognize the marriages but didnt have to perform them, that would be pointless IMO. Just go across the border, get married then come back and you still get equal rights
    I don't think the federal government should force states to go against their constitutions and votes. I also don't think it would be right to wait until the Supreme Court is stacked with liberal judges who will warp the Constitution. If the states decided to Amend the Constitution and make sexuality a protected entity under the equal protection clause then that would force the states to allow homosexual marriages. I think that would happen sooner than all states changing their view.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I disagree, substantially. Then again my relatives were involved in LYNCHING a Tory in Essex, CT after the American Revolution because he refused to either swear allegiance to the US Government or to leave the country. This nation was founded on the concept of morals, values, and principles. We've now let those things wane and we're worse off for it.
    As long as we are a democracy morals, values, and principals will run things. However, these things can change over time. The principal that the government should not bar two homosexuals who love each other from marrying and recognizing that they are committed to the same marital values that heterosexual couples have is what many (including myself) are now believing. Upon these principals and values do we believe that homosexuals should have the right to marry.
    Last edited by digsbe; 01-14-12 at 11:10 PM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #16
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Same-Sex Marriage, How long till it's legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I disagree, substantially. Then again my relatives were involved in LYNCHING a Tory in Essex, CT after the American Revolution because he refused to either swear allegiance to the US Government or to leave the country. This nation was founded on the concept of morals, values, and principles. We've now let those things wane and we're worse off for it.
    No this country was founded on FREEDOM and LIBERTY and respect for ALL PEOPLES morals not just the ones YOU choose to see LMAO

    Thats where your disconnect is. We all still have morals and values and principles its just that YOU want everyone else to be forced to share YOURS, thats not america and never was.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #17
    User MaddieGreenwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    04-08-12 @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23

    Re: Same-Sex Marriage, How long till it's legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    But the point is that can change by the supreme court if its ruled unconstitutional by referring to discrimination and equal rights just like interracial marriage.
    I absolutely agree, because how is it NOT discrimination to not let gays marry? I wish it would become legalized federally, because not all 50 states are going to agree unfortunately. There's literally no sane reason to not legalize it other than homophobes, who clearly aren't confident enough in their own sexuality.

  8. #18
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Same-Sex Marriage, How long till it's legal

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I don't think the federal government should force states to go against their constitutions and votes. I also don't think it would be right to wait until the Supreme Court is stacked with liberal judges who will warp the Constitution. If the states decided to Amend the Constitution and make sexuality a protected entity under the equal protection clause then that would force the states to allow homosexual marriages. I think that would happen sooner than all states changing their view.
    I do especially if it violates equal rights and is discrimination which I think it does.

    So the question would be "warp" according to who?

    Also sexuality/gay is already a protected class so it wouldnt be hard or warping IMO.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,958

    Re: Same-Sex Marriage, How long till it's legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    I do especially if it violates equal rights and is discrimination which I think it does.

    So the question would be "warp" according to who?

    Also sexuality/gay is already a protected class so it wouldnt be hard or warping IMO.
    As the EPC is worded currently I don't think there is a legal basis for saying it includes homosexual orientation. In legal terms I don't think the federal government should have the right to pass a federal law that forces states to go against their constitutions and issue marriage licenses to homosexual couples. If the federal government was the one issuing marriage licenses then this would be fine.

    In order to stay within the bounds of the Constitution and not trample on the rights of the states I think the best way to legalize gay marriage would be to do so formally by amending the Constitution. You don't need the support of all the states to do so and I think it is the best approach under the current laws and how things are legally.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  10. #20
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Same-Sex Marriage, How long till it's legal

    Quote Originally Posted by MaddieGreenwell View Post
    I absolutely agree, because how is it NOT discrimination to not let gays marry? I wish it would become legalized federally, because not all 50 states are going to agree unfortunately. There's literally no sane reason to not legalize it other than homophobes, who clearly aren't confident enough in their own sexuality.
    agreed, it will happen just like interracial marriage. America rights its wrongs even if its forced to by the constitution or supreme court etc.

    When interracial marriage was made legal I think something like 80% of the country was against it, pathetic. The majority wasnt even for it until like 1997 which is even more said. its around 75% I think today, I also believe its 90+% with the 30 and under crowd. Gotta love people learning right from wrong.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •