View Poll Results: Is sharing the Aegis (SM-3) missile systems with Russia a good idea?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - it's fine

    2 12.50%
  • No - it's crazy

    14 87.50%
  • Other (explain)

    0 0%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 85 of 85

Thread: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

  1. #81
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Yeah it does. In fact until recently the only SAM we used with Aegis was the SM-2. The SM-2 is just the standard surface to air missile that we happened to already have deployed on our boats. It was from the 80s.
    The SM-2 is a group of weapons, medium to long range. As you said they are old technology, not what is currently in use by the United states. What we use now is the SM-3 which is capable of taking out satellites in low earth orbit. This is not a normal surface to air missile. Is this tech being included in this package given to Russia?

  2. #82
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    The SM-2 is a group of weapons, medium to long range. As you said they are old technology, not what is currently in use by the United states. What we use now is the SM-3 which is capable of taking out satellites in low earth orbit. This is not a normal surface to air missile. Is this tech being included in this package given to Russia?
    Actually EagleAye just pointed out something obvious we've all been missing. Obama isn't even talking about sharing the actual tech with Russia, just the specs. As in- how fast does it go, how precise is it, etc... So it's a total non-issue... Just the Washington Times trying to manufacture scandals as usual.

  3. #83
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    The SM-2 is a group of weapons, medium to long range. As you said they are old technology, not what is currently in use by the United states. What we use now is the SM-3 which is capable of taking out satellites in low earth orbit. This is not a normal surface to air missile. Is this tech being included in this package given to Russia?
    Saw a documentary about the satellite shoot down. This capability isn't standard with the SM-3. Production versions are not setup for attacking satellites. The US had an out of control satellite with toxic fuel on board that was going to re-enter. They couldn't be sure where it would land so they wanted to destroy it before it could. The team modified a few SM-3 systems and rewrote a lot of Aegis code in 6 weeks (normally would take 2 years) just for this one shootdown. Afterwards the old Aegis code was re-installed and the missiles converted back to original configuration.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  4. #84
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    Saw a documentary about the satellite shoot down. This capability isn't standard with the SM-3. Production versions are not setup for attacking satellites. The US had an out of control satellite with toxic fuel on board that was going to re-enter. They couldn't be sure where it would land so they wanted to destroy it before it could. The team modified a few SM-3 systems and rewrote a lot of Aegis code in 6 weeks (normally would take 2 years) just for this one shootdown. Afterwards the old Aegis code was re-installed and the missiles converted back to original configuration.
    Sorry, what i was saying is it has the range and programming capability to take down a satellite in low earth orbit. The military does not consider it a ASAT.

  5. #85
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: US willing to share Aegis missile tech with Russia - good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Actually EagleAye just pointed out something obvious we've all been missing. Obama isn't even talking about sharing the actual tech with Russia, just the specs. As in- how fast does it go, how precise is it, etc... So it's a total non-issue... Just the Washington Times trying to manufacture scandals as usual.
    Well... I suppose there is a limit to that kind of talk that I would consider acceptable. As long as we arent giving up any trade secrects.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •